1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey Stepping Down!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Captain Hook, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

It's astounding how many people fail to think about the pandemic and it's impact on Sports Entertainment in general. It could be that DM's salary bonuses were tied in with revenues somehow. I know majority of players know any potentially new contracts would affected.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Who is he? What are his basketball qualifications, if any?
    Edit: I didn't realize Stone is the executive VP of basketball operations with the Houston Rockets. I have no idea if he has ever played basketball at the college level and whether he has some prior experience of managing any basketball team. Will he be a stooge to Tilman? I wasn't a Morey fan, but I fear that worse days are going to come.

#522 saleem, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

the 2nd best era in franchise history was frustrating and boring? tough standards.

joshuaao, split41 and Patience like this.
  4. saleem

It's true, I wasn't satisfied with Daryl Morey because of his overemphasis on stats/ analytics and his lack of basketball experience, but I don't want a lackey to Tilman Fertitta and his family. We might end up being worse than the Dolan NY Knicks. I wish Morey good luck in his future. He tried hard to bring us to the top without having a complete understanding what it takes to win an NBA Championship.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Richie_Rich, Deuce, joshuaao and 5 others like this.
  6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i feel like it's been so long that people massively underrate morey's first build-up with the rockets, before yao and tmac exploded into a fine powder.

got ron artest by trading donte green because donte green scored 40 in a summer league game like a week earlier (one of the great "sell high" trades you'll ever see)
    got luis scola for spanoulis (lol)
    got kyle lowry for rafer alston (out of the league after a year)
    didn't originally get chuck hayes but signed him to a 4 yr/$8M deal that was one of the biggest bargains in the league for years
    got aaron brooks with the 26th pick
    traded for carl landry on draft night (used a 2nd round pick)
    signed mutombo for basically nothing
    got shane battier with the #7 pick trade (which people somehow complained about forever, technically assistant GM but seemed like a morey move)

look at those first 3. a really good starter, a good starter, and a nice backup (at the time) who has gone on to be really good all for basically nothing. for 3 guys who were either out of the league or never heard from again. not draft night trades, not complete unknowns. just straight up steals.

MOOR-E basically used the 7th pick, the 26th pick, and rafer alston and acquired a championship supporting cast.

7. HP3

HP3 Member

How many teams have the Warriors come back against that do take mid range shots. I should be the one talking about dumbing it down because you clearly dont have an understanding of what an efficient jump shot is. And if dude's are bricking from 3, what makes you think they are gonna make up pull up 2's? Our second best player was out, it was always gonna be hard to win. And lol I love how you think Morey was the one making the coaching decisions too. Yea we got Chris Paul here so Harden could get his numbers, we werent worried about winning a chip that year. LOL. And btw our motto is 3 AND D. If you do what Dallas does you have great offense and but piss poor defense. We try to get two way players. Please dont ever quote me again, what an embarrassing take.

This is an absolute joke of a take. A mess under Daryl Morey, holy hell.

8. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

what?

you never heard about Stone?

9. HP3

HP3 Member

There is your proof. The same reporter also says that Morey was Chris Paul's biggest supporter within the organization. Ryan Russillo ALSO says that Patrick Fertitta was also a loud voice in getting Westbrook here. So you can stop trying to blame Morey for a move he didnt want to make.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Why won't MY DAD buy ME a sports franchise?!?! ITS NOT FAIR!!!

[​IMG]

11. HP3

HP3 Member

People who actually Daryl Freaking Morey would ever willingly trade for Westbrook arent paying attention.

MettaWorldPete and YOLO like this.
  12. 18pbr

18pbr Member

To me personally if James didn’t want Westbrook in Houston that trade would have never happened. I think Harden and the owner pressed Morey to get it done.

Easy and blahblehblah like this.
  13. Asian Sensation

[​IMG]

Last one out please remember to turn the lights off.

14. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

That’s why you need to put contributing in front of member bro

15. Caprah

Caprah Member

And when is the world going to hold you dog eaters accountable for ****ing the planet up with cov19?

BHannes2BHonest and Jontro like this.
  16. saleem

I’ve read about him now, his basketball background and passion for the game. I hope he will be a great GM for us.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

Not true at all. People still don’t understand how tilman operates and who you’re dealing with. He’s going to make the decision at the end of the day no matter what anyone else things. Harden isn’t stopping him.

HP3 likes this.
  18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't blame him. The Westbrook experiment, which I don't believe was his decision, was a colossal failure. Now, Morey is stuck without the coach he wanted, no draft picks, and Westbrook's untradeable contract. Perhaps Eric Gordon is tradeable but does anyone see a move that can be made that will actually improve this team centered around EG? Especially considering we are stuck with Westbrook and the Lakers demonstrated that we can't win so long as teams can just leave Westbrook open and double Harden.

If Morey stayed, the reputation he built over the years would be extremely tarnished as this team continues to get worse and he has no avenues left to improve it. We are headed into some very dark times, Rockets fans.

And on top of all of that, we don't have Isaiah Hartenstein anymore to carry us.

Richie_Rich, LorneMalvo, HP3 and 4 others like this.
  19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Nobody is allowed to be surprised by anything Tilman does. People who payed attention to his actual actions as an owner have been saying how disastrous he is going to be. He bought the team as a status symbol to hand to his kids. That has been obvious from the jump. The intention was never to build good teams or run it well.

Richie_Rich, HP3, SamFisher and 7 others like this.
  20. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

The Rockets core is not happy. That's not a surprise to be hearing.

However, I'm not so sure this is the first big domino to "fall." There's going to be some major dissension throughout going forward. Your franchise player(s) are not happy at all...

I'll leave it at that for now. Wish all of you well.