1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey Stepping Down!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Captain Hook, Oct 15, 2020.

1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Where have we free fallen from?

4th in the west in 2019 and a 4-2 loss in the semifinals all the way down to 4th in the west in 2020 and a 4-1 loss in the semifinals

At this rate well be an 8th seed by 2030 terrifying stuff

joshuaao likes this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

And I see a lot of people hyping up OKC let’s not act like the bubble environment allowed certain teams to over achieve like OKC.

Cp3 being healthy
    Gallo playing out of his mind

And all world greatest defensive player ever dort.

And just for $hyts and giggles look at rondo and his 3pt sniper ability in the bubble.

3. TimDuncanDonaut

Ferntits is trying to show both guys leaving on good terms. That being said, professional courtesy dictates those calls should be rare. With the current owner who knows what his manners are.

joshuaao, D-rock and napalm06 like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

youve got to be kidding me. They went from a legit contender against arguably the best team of all time to pretenders in the span of 2 years. aka free fall. they'll be out of the playoffs soon with the improving west and more picks to okc. awesome!

Nook, MettaWorldPete and HP3 like this.
  5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Your missing the part that for most of Moreys tenure we have always been pretenders... Except for 1 season. Look at Boston, Miami, LA all have won championships and completely rebuilt back into contenders in the same time it took Morey to get 1 great season out of this franchise.

SkareKrow and PeterKingX like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Im not missing anything. you're missing it completely but just like the rest of you, reality will continue to set in and hilarious to think the next staff coming in will easily have some success. You definitely don't understand the levels to things like this and how bad things are right now

Nook and HP3 like this.
  7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Your right i must must have missed the year we won the title cause 4th place aint doing it for me bruh

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah out of playoff contention will. nice bruh

Nook and HP3 like this.
  9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Right cause Daryl Morey is the only person on the planet that knows how to run an NBA franchise... I get it man these are uncertain times but have you really been satisfied with this team over the past 15 years so much so that you can ignore the many mistakes that have been made by Daryl himself that have put us here?

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

to offset and mitigate the stupidity of people running this organization yep. I was satisfied of the direction until tilman came. He turned a 65 win contending team into a weak pretender in a span of 2 years and worse going forward. Wasting his best player years. Once that happened the freefall began and it's well tracked. you're the one who needs to catch up. that's a you problem

Nook and HP3 like this.
  11. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

How do you rebuild without the good GM?

Nook likes this.
  12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You're 100% right. People just can't accept having bumpy years like 2019, when we had a VERY poor rotation of wings. The mob preferred to scapegoat a star, or two, blow it up and change to a worse strategy. Well we did that. And here we are. The future looks dark. We should've just gotten a wing or two...

Everything that gave us a championship caliber team in 2018 is now gone except James, Gordon and Tucker, who are worse for wear. CP, Ariza, Capela, MDA, Morey - unable to be replaced with equivalents (except arguably Cov for an adjusted version of Arizas skillset). The brain drain under Tilman is complete. Every position including front office and draft picks is worse or vacant. I really don't get how people can consider Westbrook some kind of silver lining. To me he's the linchpin of all of this.

Easy, D-rock, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Okay man just keep celebrating those 4th place trophies when we get em... Cherish them the same way you have over the past 15 years.
    And I'll continue to not be satisfied with anyone in the Org till there is another banner up in the TC

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

and you can keep celebrating the idiot owner. don't forget the tip

Nook, D-rock, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

We need Tilman gone or it really doesn't matter who the GM is. I really hope he loses all his money so he's forced to sell

16. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Im not celebrating anyone... In fact im denouncing people my guy.

Morey traded for Westbrook, Morey has given up essentially every draft pick we ever had and Morey is the one that got up and walked away. But you keep celebrating the greatest GM to never win a thing.

deshen likes this.
  17. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

This is a well-reasoned case, but I'd feel a lot better about it if we hadn't just traded away a bunch of draft picks, followed by our coach and GM walking out. Nobody involved in the future-sacrificing moves we just made is sticking around as though they believe those moves will work out.

Easy, Deuce, Aruba77 and 3 others like this.
  18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Sad times. I respect Morey a ton for his time here. He had the second winningest record of any team while he was GM. Never allowed to tank, but still made us a contender. I truly believe we were a strained CP3 hamstring away from winning a championship.

Morey's approach isn't the only way. We could use someone like Masai Ujiri, who commands a ton of respect among the players and has an eye for talent in the draft. Toronto was loaded with horrible contracts when he got there. He cleaned up Colangelo's mess and won them a championship in a city most players do not want to go to. Even with Kawhi bolting Toronto still looks good, has young talent, and cap space. Toronto didn't lean heavily into analytics and novel team builds, but just building a winning culture and making great trades and picks. Easier said than done, of course.

I believe Morey was an elite GM. The next one we get will have a tough task in front of him. Tilman is cheap as crap and forced Morey's hand with the terrible Westbrook trade. We have no draft assets for years. I'm not excited for our future.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

no morey didn't trade for westbrick. tilman did. the fact that you still don't understand that simple concept is mind boggling. it isn't rocket science. do you need to get a little older to let your mind become a bit more mature maybe?

you keep celebrating the worst owner in the league who has destroyed a franchise in a span of 2 years

HP3 and MettaWorldPete like this.
  20. MettaWorldPete

This is a great post, but I’d add that the Raptors probably don’t win the championship without the luck of Leonard forcing his way out of San Antonio to go to LA and ending up in Toronto as a stepping stone. In which case a bunch of people on this thread would be calling for Masai to be fired if they were Raptors fans.

HP3 likes this.