1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to Interview JVG Wednesday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Oct 13, 2020.

1. hakeemthagreat

Please don't do this Tilman. The Rockets were miserable to watch under JVG. The same guy who started Ryan Bowen, and refused to incorporate Bonzi Wells when we signed him. He is TERRIBLE for today's type players and do nothing but piss everybody off

D-rock likes this.
  2. rockets13champs

I was right they wanted another Silas meeting

Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'm hoping for a miracle now and Rockets hire Silas.

saleem, Rudyc281 and treyk3 like this.
  4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

at least we agree we don't want Lucas!

I was into lue or Atkinson, but given Lue's contract with the clippers we knew tilman couldn't outbid.

I'm holding out hope that Atkinson (who seems to be out of the running for other HC jobs) could be a top assistant to Silas. however Silas appears to be a late addition to Round Two interviews (replacing Lue after the news he accepted the clippers offer today). Which likely means he's in 3rd place.

my hope here is that Lucas got this far just because the team wanted to coddle James and rus and look like they "strongly considered him"

D-rock, Rudyc281 and treyk3 like this.
  5. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I just don’t understand the Lucas hire. Sure if the Rockets trade Harden and Russ they could go full on youth movement. I’ve heard he is a great talent developer. If they are keeping Harden and Russ though, it doesn’t make sense at all. My understanding is he isn’t that great of a coach. If the Rockets are keeping Harden, then the best bet would be Silas or JVG.

D-rock and Sean Dr34ms like this.
  6. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Honestly, if Tilman is about keeping Harden then he has to appease him after letting Morey and MDA go.

If Lucas is the hire to do that then it’s what’s gotta be done from that perspective.

That said, I completely agree with you. JVG and Silas make so much more sense if we’re actually trying to have a legit head coach who can help mold and orchestrate a team.

D-rock likes this.
  7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'd love to see JVG coach again, and am a huge fan but please don't take this job JVG. This season will be the season of Tillman for sure. He's going to be feeling out his power as the owner, and it's just not the season you want to be taking over.

It's also likely a make or break season for Harden before he asks for a trade if he doesn't already ask for one this offseason (I think he'll want one more year with Russ personally).

The Rockets could be a mess next year. I don't wish that on JVG.

I would like to see Chris Finch get the opportunity to cut his teeth as a head coach. Everyone seems to think Chauncey Billups is a guy who is the next Steve Kerr. Seems like a good type of coach to be given a shot. Someone like that.... not a veteran whose head will explode with a meddling owner and nepotism delight.

baller4life315 and D-rock like this.
  8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What is JVG's take on Hong Kong?

Deckard and D-rock like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

Billups is on his way to the clips as part of lue’s staff just FYI

D-rock and dobro1229 like this.
  10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Ah. Didn't see that. The point was to aim for that type to get it right with one of the fresh minds in coaching. Definitely don't love ex-players all that much (see McHale) but there are fresh coaching minds that are there in the wings pretty much every year. I think we'd be better suited to have someone like that who can be a bit more resilient behind the scenes with the headaches that are sure to come.

You just look at Doc Rivers some times as that type of coach who you can tell the drama just sucks the life out of him because he becomes gravity in an organization. I sure hope not but it's looking like 21-22 is going to suck the life out of a coach like Doc, and most certainly JVG at his age & experience.

saleem likes this.
  11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

JVG!!! JVG!!!! JVG!!!!

12. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I love JVG, I think he is the type of coach the rockets need. Focusses on defense and a stern coach. However only if he is backed by management, and Harden accepts it (I have doubts on both accounts).

That being said, I hope he stays away from the Rockets. We are going nowhere and I do not want to spend the next few years having to argue with people that hate JVG when we do not win a championship (like We had to do these last few years with Morey).

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The only time I had real trust in JVG was when he handed the keys to Sprewell and Camby. He realised that Ewing was no longer a superstar, and he cut down his role into a valuable big off the bench. NY exploded into the finals as an exciting and fresh team, without sacrificing their defense. Can he do that again? I doubt it, but I would be very pleasantly surprised if that happens, if he returns. My choice for the HC is Atkinson, but I’ll settle for Silas.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The stars didn't align.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

That shirt JVG wearing fire tho.

D-rock and daywalker02 like this.
  16. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Should just hire Sanford and son as coachs so harden can play hero ball and rockets don't have 2 get back out there on there defense assignments.

Team needs :
    - hire a black coach
    -get pass the jazz again
    - no white hires players