1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey Stepping Down!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Captain Hook, Oct 15, 2020.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hire Greg Popovich as GM and Becky Hammon as the coach. They make a great team.

2. Mattician

Mattician Member

First the Astros lose Luhnow, and now the Rockets lose Morey.
    I don't like this.

3. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

Yo I’m shock and hurt as a Rockets fan but at the same time I always thought in the beginning of last year that if LeBron bring another chip to LA the Rockets would need to change things up but I never thought this would be the change damn

4. Lost_Packet

Lost_Packet Member

Rafael Stone is General Counsel of the Houston Rockets and Toyota Center. He is responsible for all legal matters concerning business, building and team operations. His major areas of focus include legal matters for Toyota Center, television and radio agreements, community relations, sponsorship agreements, intellectual property matters, human resources matters, risk management, and compliance with league rules. In addition, Stone assists the basketball operations staff with the management of legal issues relating to the team. He is also a member of the organization’s Senior Management Team. Prior to joining the Rockets and Toyota Center, Stone practiced in Dewey Ballantine LLP’s mergers and acquisitions and capital markets group. While with Dewey Ballantine, Stone represented acquirers, targets, investment banks, investors and issuers in numerous acquisitions and financings. A native of Seattle, Washington, Stone received a bachelor’s degree in history and political science from Williams College in 1994 and graduated from Stanford Law School in 1997. He also played varsity basketball at Williams College for four years. Stone presently resides in Houston with his wife, Felicia, and their three children.

Yung-T and BigMaloe like this.
  5. Caesar

Caesar Member

Morley is severely overrated around here. I'm ready for his exit and the failure of this micro ball and jacking up 3s with not a single pure shooter on the roster. The only pause i have is if it's due to Tilman.

PeterKingX, PDJACK7, HillBoy and 6 others like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Rafael Stone is an attorney that has worked with the Rockets for a long time. He is more of a corporate guy. His role has expanded in recent years. He has had some handling of contracts and a little as far as scouting. He is someone that gets along with everyone and is liked by Patrick Fertitta.

FWIW this is another article where the Fertitta clan has tried to get ahead of the story. I asked, the departure of Daryl Morey was not planned and discussed and agreed upon weeks ago like the story claims. This was a decision that Morey made...... you can draw your own conclusions as to why.

Also, McNair never would have gone to Sacramento had Morey intended to step down.

No one seems to know what the "plan" is right this minute.......... if you believe what has been said, the Rockets under Tilman are in constant uncomfortable chaos and no one feels secure..... Tillman thrives off of chaos.

slothy420, mikol13, Yung-T and 8 others like this.
  7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

This sucks!

mikol13 likes this.
  8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

What an awful take. Who do you think you're galvanizing?

This is in no shape or form a good thing.

Tilman is the owner of the Rockets and you trust him to not turn the Rockets into the Knicks? I wonder if Tilman's boots taste like bubba gump shrimp.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If it is...it makes sense?

I mean this guy is a MIT grad, he could be doing a million other things than running an NBA team.

I think its reasonable that this was his decision. It could be motivated by something Tilman did and Morey just decided he could be doing something else with his life.

#109 JayGoogle, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  10. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Grass isn't always greener... for those that hated Les Alexander.

Les (for the most part) stayed out of his way and let Morey do his job.

In comes Tillman - forces a trade for Westbrook. Runs D'Antoni out of town, now runs Morey out of town.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Did he leave us with the rights to Sergie Lishtouk, at least.

Amel and Fantasma Negro like this.
  12. Mr. Space City

One step closer to becoming the Western Conference Knicks.

Bo6, Yung-T, BHannes2BHonest and 2 others like this.
  13. Raz

Raz Member

Because 2020 wasn't cataclysmic enough so far.

14. killahflip

killahflip Contributing Member

Morey for...wait for it...Houston Texans GM!!!

Dgn1 likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Woj:

It was Morey's decision to walk away after 13 years.

2nd winningest team in that span behind Spurs.

Morey was ready to take a break. Job is a grind. Tumultuous year.

This was his decision.

Rafael Stone moves up to GM.

Two college-aged kids, chance to catch his breath and look around the landscape and see what interests him.

Morey is remaining on board to shepherd Rockets through this coaching search.

Candidates aware of his decision to step down.

JVG is meeting again today with Rockets. Rockets remain in contact with Ty Lue. Lue prominent candidate with Clippers, as is JVG.

joshuaao, jacoby and htwnbandit like this.
  16. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

They literally said it wasn't on Tilman. Not sure why people are assuming the opposite. He had said before his job is secure. Morey went to him about stepping down.

As much as I'll miss him, I don't know that I'll miss Moreyball. Face it, that style of basketball just didn't work. Sure we're the winningest team next to the Spurs during his tenure, but how many championships do we have to show for it? Couldn't even get to the Finals.

17. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Kudos to Tilman for fixing this
    Hire JVG and all the moves needed to fix this disaster of a smallball team will have been made. Kudos to Tilman.

18. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Thats my thinking which tells me Ty Lue will get the job

19. nsng20

nsng20 Member

If you really think about it, it's not even bad. We don't have picks in the draft and free agents were never going to sign here because of morey made everyone expendable as asset waiting to be traded.

20. realonemo

realonemo Member

Conspiracy theory: philly gonna fire brand and make morey the GM and then trade Embiid for Harden

Rocket River likes this.