1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dedicated Poll thread.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, Sep 2, 2020.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Side question....who is participating in these polls? Where do they come from? How do they work? Is there an ICP song?

I've been voting since the 90s and have never been asked.

RayRay10, jiggyfly and Space Ghost like this.
  3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Man, skimming this thread is actually giving me hope.

Has it finally happened? Has the country finally come back to it's senses? Or are the Trump voters just sand-bagging?

RayRay10 and IBTL like this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

5. Amiga

Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

RayRay10 and Amiga like this.
  7. Amiga

Supporting Member

65+ ... that's a 23pt net swing. Trump + 15 in 2016 to -8 in 2020.

[​IMG]

RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  8. dookiester

dookiester Member

wtf 45 - 64 year olds. get your act together.

RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

i do think the obvious negatives of The UHF Commercial in Chief lead many of his followers to lie to pollsters. But it’s good to have a little hope.

the scary thing is that we will probably see a smarter, more polished version of Trump someday, from the right or left. God help us.

10. Amiga

Supporting Member

It's why I hope that a Biden admin tackle that head-on as the 2nd highest priority after handling the Covid emergency.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Once again can anybody show someone who is taking this election for granted?

That poll is very hard to read and seems to be looking for anything to say this is a race.

Morning joe did a democrats need to worried segment today about the high registration of new voters that are registering as Republicans.

I understand the need to not be complacent but it seems everybody is looking for an angle to pump up Trumps chances.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yes, but that was the week following the Access Hollywood tape + before the Hillary/Comey letter + the fact is there are far fewer undecideds + there wasn't a pandemic drawing a huge swath of the voter pool to vote early.

I'm not saying Trump has a better chance than the polling suggests, but this election is not 2016.

That being said... IT COULD BECOME 2016 all over again if the conditions allow for it. Meaning, Biden would have to majorly dip in popularity, and give give those few independents (really Republicans) ANY excuse to say to their friends that Trump is the lesser of two evils.

Even then, if Trump manages to role out a massive October surprise it just looks way way way too late at this point this election cycle because of the massive early voting turnout. Still Biden does need to perform well on actual election day.

But yes I do think it'll be closer than the polls suggest but that doesn't mean that even with those key states being close, Biden could still have a huge electoral college win with the additional new states like Arizona & maybe Georgia coming into play & finding a way to get Florida (which will be the toughest swing state IMO).

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. dobro1229

Ding Ding. The corporate media this week has went into defcon 5 to insert high drama for three reasons:

-Drive viewership & ratings leading up to election
    -They are counting on a Biden win and setting up the stage for post election "we really are hard on everyone" coverage
    -Their producers still think Trump is good TV & good as a TV star who we need to watch with every baited breathe

It's the same BS that they did in 2016, and they have learned absolutely nothing. It was so obvious though that they would continue to do this. The most infuriating thing is the need to bring Democrats down to the Republican level in the eyes of their viewers so they can show high stakes reality TV drama.

RayRay10, Reeko and jiggyfly like this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not clear pointing out that there are signs the election may be closer than most think is bringing Democrats down to Republican level.

Also I'm not sure how familiar you are with Joe Scaraborough but he has been essentially campaigning for Biden. His disagreements with Trump are personal considering Trump insulted his wife and co-host and also has been spreading the rumor that Scaraborough was involved in the death of one of his staffers when he was a US Rep.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I keep saying this also...

T_Man

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. Amiga

Supporting Member

1- Trump will contest if it's anywhere close -> no one is taking it for granted. Thx Trump.

2- This is close to an orange to apple comparison. State polls in 2016 have a lot problem, many of which have been addressed. National polls did much better. The battle ground states have expanded, in favor of Biden. Limiting it to a limited set of states for two different environments isn't a good comparison. A better comparison is something like 538's projected chance of winning for each candidate in the same period of time in '16 vs '20 and that itself isn't that great of a comparison IMO.

3- I don't get with RCP is doing this... they should know better.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. dobro1229

Yeah I think Morning Joe and MSNBC in general are in a different camp than corporate NBC, CNN, and especially The New York Times to be clear. Morning Joe's comments this morning are probably more aimed at making sure their viewers aren't complacent, and realize how important every single vote is. I think that panic inducing methodology is actually a good thing.

What CNN and others are doing is completely different.

RayRay10, jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. Amiga

Supporting Member

20. Amiga

Supporting Member

Same election analyst, yesterday:

RayRay10 likes this.