1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hypothetical: Westbrook Vs Paul George

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Swap teams

I am not saying it is possible.
    I am not saying I would like it.

Harden and Paul George versus Kawhi and Russ

The question is: Which team is better? And by how much?

Rocket River

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

If this happened and we got paul for just westbrook then we are easily a far superior team.

JuNx, Lovemachine2000, HP3 and 4 others like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

as bad as Paul George was, Russ still managed to be worse

and my god was Paul George horrible, but teams will never just outright refuse to guard him or not respect his jumper

this 1 of the main things I’m worried about with a new coach... If teams are flat out just not gonna guard someone, and they still play atrociously for 30+ minutes every night, what can u do? Many would say u bench him which is something the vast majority of coaches would never have the balls to do. Even if u do, it’s not like we have quality players to put in instead.

I would take Paul George over Russ 20 times outta 10, and I think we’d be better than Clippers, especially if we also had a big.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

This isn’t even close. Pg13 is a much better fit next to harden.

Westbrick sucks and has been declining for years

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

@Rocket River , you're not the only one thinking about this. I saw this article on my phone a few days ago:

This Clippers-Rockets trade would swap Russell Westbrook, Paul George
    https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/10...ade-would-swap-russell-westbrook-paul-george/

The Los Angeles Clippers and Houston Rockets each face questions entering next season. After the respective pairings of Kawhi Leonard and Paul George in LA, and James Harden and Russell Westbrook in Houston each resulted in a playoff exit, would a trade between these teams make sense?

Paul George is only committed to Los Angeles for next season, as he’ll have the ability to depart in free agency in 2021 if he so chooses.

Westbrook, on the other hand, is signed long-term.

The possibilities between these two teams are so interesting because each has more than one star. A trade of George doesn’t necessarily dismantle the Clippers, and the same argument could be made of Westbrook in Houston.

Let’s take a look at a hypothetical trade that would send Westbrook to Los Angeles and George to Houston.
    The Hypothetical Trade

Clippers acquire Russell Westbrook

Rockets acquire Paul George, Mfiondu Kabengele

The salaries of Westbrook and George nearly match up, but the Clippers in this hypothetical throw in Mfiondu Kabengele, a first round pick in 2019, along with George.

While this trade would send George out of Los Angeles, it would serve as a homecoming for Westbrook, who was born in Long Beach and attended UCLA.

In this swap of superstars, neither team would shift into rebuilding mode, as the Clippers would build around Leonard and Westbrook, and the Rockets would pair George and Harden.
    Why the Clippers Should Do It

The Clippers could simply run it back in 2021 with much of the same roster that came up short in 2020, but there’s an argument to be made for a shake up in Los Angeles.

The Clippers will have a new head coach next season, and owner Steve Ballmer may be inclined to make roster changes, as well.

If so, that would make George their most tradable asset, as the Clippers will not move on from Leonard.

The Clippers would acquire Westbrook in return, who’d come home to Los Angeles. Westbrook is under contract for two more seasons through 2022, and then he has a player option for 2023. It’s a safe bet at this time to say Westbrook, at age 33 in 2023, will pick up that option, which is worth an astounding $47 million.
    Why the Rockets Should Do It

The Rockets tried to make a run with Westbrook and Harden in 2019-20, and the results were not up to par.

This move would concede that the pairing of Westbrook and Harden didn’t necessarily work as Houston hoped.

If that’s the case, the Rockets could move Westbrook while still getting a star back in return, in George.

This may depend on Houston’s coaching search, and the new coach’s impression of the Harden and Westbrook backcourt.

The addition of George and the subtraction of Westbrook would change the play style in Houston a bit, but that could be necessary after their playoff exit this season.

Both of these teams could easily stand pat and maintain the status quo. But the ways they match up on a trade provides plenty of intrigue as the offseason commences.

DeBeards and HP3 like this.
  6. realonemo

realonemo Member

Paul George sucks in big games man. Dude will be missing wide open shots. No thanks.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

So will Russ. PG would at least make us not have to deal with teams straight up ignoring a player to go and double team Harden or clog the lane. We could have a big on the floor that can’t shoot and not destroy our spacing. It doesn’t matter tho, this unfortunately would never happen.

HP3 likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

westbrick is even worse but at least pg13 has to be guarded which takes less attention away from harden. aka much better fit

Lovemachine2000 and HP3 like this.
  9. realonemo

realonemo Member

I don't like PGs demeanor man. I think mentally it's too much for him. He didn't want to play with lebron for a reason when he could have multiple times.

Reeko likes this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

A player that complements Harden perfectly vs. a guy that doesn't compliment anybody.

We never go small in the first place if we had Paul George.

12. HP3

HP3 Member

He's so much better than Westbrook than you guys can even imagine. Also I think PG would thrive next to Harden. He would get SO MANY open jumpers next to Harden. Plus his defense is all NBA caliber. This is a trade I do every day of the week.

Lawrene Frank would actually lose his job if he ever did a trade like this.

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  13. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Paul George as a player sure. I think Harden + George would ruin any team chemistry we have though. Can't have 2 divas on same team.

DeBeards likes this.
  14. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

we'd have to do this trade if available. unfortunately i think the clippers can get a better trade than this, even in this buy low scenario.

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

PGs win shares per 48 in this years playoffs, where he was generally pretty bad, is better than any of the last THREE postseasons for Westbrook.

Westbrook had NEGATIVE win shares per 48 this postseason.

If we could trade Westbrook for nothing but the salary relief we should do it.

YOLO likes this.
  16. rocketseagles07

Paul George would be damn near perfect for what we need. It would never happen, but yea

17. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

PG would fit like a glove.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

PG is really miles ahead of WB on paper.

However what I've seen his attitude is about 1000 times worse. You pair that with Harden we would have games where both stars just sulk and stop playing.

They are too alike for my liking, when things don't go their way, they just shut down entirely

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

WOW It was just a random thought

The thing for me is. . . IMO Harden is a enhancer
    He literally takes anyone . . .and goes further with them than anyone else can
    Non-Prime Dwight - to the WCF - Only LeBron took him further
    Westbrook - 2nd Round - Only KD took him further
    CP3 - WCF - could not do it with anyone else
    non-star Rockets - to the playoffs or even second round

I think with PG13 he would take him further than what kawhi did . ..
    I think they would at least make the Finals

Rocket River

don grahamleone likes this.
  20. Major

Major Member

So he takes everyone further than anyone else - except that 2 of the 3 got further with other superstars. And that's evidence that PG would go further with Harden than Kawhi?