1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to Interview JVG Wednesday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

How did it go?

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

uh, yeah, the numbers were nice, but we got blown out, so not impressed...the same way T-Mac had a nice stat line after scoring in garbage time...to T-Mac stans that’s supposed to be something great

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Yea definitely sounds like he’s getting the job from that. Morey finally gets to pick the coach. I’m interested to see how this works.

gatsby, joshuaao, Fiah and 2 others like this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

Hmmm what makes you think its Morey's choice this time?

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Looking good jvg

Fiah and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Can somebody post the gif of JVG doing James celebration.

Fiah and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  8. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I honestly was hating the possibility but come to think about it, he would be my favorite. Curious to hear about the assistants he would bring in.

joshuaao and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Trust me. Morey has been wanting him back since he left. JVG is an absolute genius. One of the most progressive minds in the sport.

psaman17, joshuaao, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Hope we bring Darren Erman with him.

D-rock and treyk3 like this.
  11. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Sounds like just a formality meeting tomorrow...assistant coaches, salary (Lord help us from Fertitta).

Rudyc281 and Fiah like this.
  12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Hope we retain Brase. He’s going to be great one day.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. riko

riko Member

I’ve been on bring back the Gundy from day 1

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. riko

riko Member

Get him Gentry or or Finch on the often end and we are set. Elson Turner will probably be back for cheap to.

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Wanted Silas then Lue was intriguing now I want the extended Houstonian JVG.

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Gentry is not available any more and Finch might get the pels job.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

@J.R.

What did I tell you damn if he does damned if he don’t smh.

J.R. likes this.
  18. riko

riko Member

Jeff will absolutely sort out the patient’s running the asylum culture that has been Ruling the atmosphere for the last few years. He will hold people accountable and he can adjust to today’s nba on offense.

If you thought Vogel or Stevens are great defensive coaches but they can’t even carry Jeff’s Jockstraps on that end. Get him a solid offensive mind won the other end and we are set.

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

LFG

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I think we can't only go by success and failure in one city. vogel in Orlando looked terrible but in the right situation he's a great coach again. MDA in NY and LA was awful but found success here. Mchale found success here but no where else. JVG took the Knicks to the finals once upon a time too.

much of JVG's first round exits in Houston are overblown IMO. the year before he got here Rudy t missed the playoffs. the next year with largely the same roster JVG made the playoffs. I'd consider that taking the team 1 step forward.

year 1 he lost to the 2nd seeded lakers with a 7th seeded rockets who failed to make the playoffs the previous 4 years. those lakers had Shaq, Kobe, Malone, Payton... I'm not counting that loss against JVG. we were happy to have just made the playoffs and not expected to win at all. that year was a success.

year 2 we faced the mavs in a 5/4 matchup. again steady improvement moving up from the 7th seed the year before and topping 50 wins for the first time in 8 years. that series went 7 games. you may or may not believe donaghy's claim that this series was fixed for the mavs (there sure were some terrible calls, including Finley stepping out of bounds which if forever imprinted in my memory) but win or lose this season was deemed another step forward at the time, although leaving a sour taste as to how it ended.

year 3 we missed the playoffs because tmac and yao both missed half the season. can't fault anyone here.

year 4, final season. another 5/4 matchup game 7 loss. sure, maybe should've won, but the jazz were the higher seed with the better record. we won 52 games and you could say tmac/yao should've won 60 but Vegas preseason over under for that team was 45.5 wins. so if we exceeded expectations in the regular season and lost to a better team in game 7, not sure how much we can complain about the outcome here.

although at the time it did feel like we just can't get over the hump, and that replacing the coach is a logical step (especially when someone like adelman is available). however looking back at it without the emotions felt at the time, I'd say JVG was successful in years 1 and 2, scratch year 3due to major injuries to yao and tmac, and draw year 4 ending pretty much where everyone but rockets fans expected them to end.

more importantly, finding the right coach is about the right fit, not what they've done in the past at one stop on their journey. if you asked me about MDA 4 years ago I would've said he sucked in LA and NY and its a hard pass, but he was the right guy to unlock harden's game and turn him into an MVP after being so passive under mchale. MDA wasn't the most well rounded coach but he had the tools we needed at the time. I'm not convinced JVG is the right guy this time around but I do recognize that he's got some of the tools we should be looking for. in fact I'd say he's got more tools we need than most other candidates (sans Lue, Atkinson and Silas), and whatever happened 10 years ago doesn't discount that.

but to your point, yes if we had to relive the seasons associated with each coach I'd take the mchale years over the JVG years for sure. that 3-1 come back was amazing! but if we had to have our previous coaches on loop moving forward with future rosters, I'm cutting out mchale and keeping Rudy-JVG-adelman-literally anyone else-MDA.

#160 smoothie, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020