1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Being locked in the Bubble took a toll on NBA players

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by GreatOne1978, Oct 14, 2020.

1. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lake...rs-felt-the-strains-of-life-in-the-nba-bubble

#1 GreatOne1978, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

God damn.

Imagine how tough it would be for these precious divas to actually lose a job and experience a lockdown.

Getting pampered for 85 days in a luxury resort. "Feels like 5 years". Geez these guys minds might actually explode if they see what going through basic training is actually like.

Jesus christ give me a break.

They are so out of touch with reality it is insane.

#2 Downtown Sniper, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Ramo$e, Joshfast, T for 3 and 33 others like this.
  3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

oh boo hoo shut the **** up. One of the reasons I've drifted from the NBA is these entitled ****s. Some of us have seen real ish but it’s about their "tough ordeal" for 2 months for the trade off of millions of dollars to dribble a basketball. Its insulting to the workers, those that lost their jobs, as well as those that lost loved ones.

No sympathy for anybody that acts like this including rockets players

#3 LosPollosHermanos, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Ramo$e, Handles, BigggReddd and 15 others like this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It took a toll on me and I wasn't in the damn thing.

SamFisher, boomboom, Easy and 5 others like this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

forget the soldiers and medical front liners, these nba bubblers are the real heroes.

Handles, GotGame15, Raider17 and 13 others like this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Just ask Dan WELL House.

The struggle was real.

I wonder how they plan on doing the 21 season, it seems like it will have to be a bubble. They could set up shop in NZ, or Australia if they eliminate community transmission soon. The teams would still have to uproot their families for a year, or leave them behind, but It would be much looser then the bubble and fans would be allowed.

steddinotayto likes this.
  7. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Translation: "It was tough mentally and physically when I wasn't getting strange every night."

8. gotsis

gotsis Member

People acting that just because they are NBA players, they shouldn't feel the impact of this kind of isolation.

No one said it was a horrible experience compared to other horrible experiences, just that it was mentally draining as it would be for anyone when radically changing your routine.

split41, K mf G, BallSoHarden and 6 others like this.
  9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Apparently CF is full of macho dudes and gals who are devoid of any mental stress or feelings. These guys are human. They had to leave their families for months in the middle of a pandemic in order to keep working. Staying in a hotel--regardless of how nice or how much free stuff there is--for a long period of time is no fun. I know because I'm a consultant that traveled quite a bit.

You're right though--this country has a disease where we can't help but to try and make things into a pissing contest to somehow prove something. "Oh you had a bad experience? Well I had a WORSE experience!" Like grow the **** up. Not everything is about you, Karen.

#9 steddinotayto, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I really thought ESPN/NBA would slip in uhh entertainment for the bubble.

That would've happened with Patrick Ewing and Shawn Kemp's crew...

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. Juxtaposed Jolt

/thread.

The first two posters in this thread are acting as if the players said they had it harder than healthcare workers on the frontlines or people that struggle to find jobs after being let go or something.

These human beings are still away from their wives, children and other loved ones for a long time. Just because they have certain luxuries that others don't have, doesn't mean they're immune to the effects of isolation.

I can even argue a viewpoint of the players feeling bad because they're on the inside looking out.

12. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Right. The players are just explaining what it's like in the bubble. Frankly, them talking about the challenges is way better than if they said "Yeah the bubble was great. Our lives are awesome." If they had said, 'The fans are the real heroes," sure that'd be better. but you can't expect the players to say this every time they get any off-topic question. For those upset the NBA players are rich, if that's how you feel why spend your time on an NBA fansite.

steddinotayto likes this.
  13. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Which successful pro league DOESN'T have entitles divas playing for it?

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

As someone with an autoimmune disease, I've been self isolating in my home this entire time. I live alone. I have literally only seen my actual assistant twice in person for the duration of this. I've stopped by office twice in this pandemic. I literally go a month at a time without seeing a human being in person sometimes. My groceries and meals are delivered. And do you know what? I AM NOT COMPLAINING! I am still working and my bills are paid. I'm grateful for that.

They have no idea how fortunate they are to be able to spend so much time with their team mates and co-workers in a friggin' luxury resort. I saw videos of these guys boating together on the lake. Are you kidding me?

split41, RustyHarden, Jontro and 7 others like this.
  15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's pretty jerk to belittle someone going though an unprecedented event without their families. Some of y'all need a step back.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There's a reason why they say that being able to work from home is a privilege. Too bad playing basketball for a living is not that kind of privileged job. :D

Seriously, I think the phrase "taking a toll" in the title gets the negative reaction. If it said something like "being in the bubble has negative mental effect on the players" then it might be more accurate in describing what was actually said and got more empathy.

There are so many terrible sufferings in the pandemic. It is no wonder people sneeze on millionaires complaining about "taking a toll."

17. TimDuncanDonaut

It's ok to miss family but they're not technically alone; as their whole team is there. Technically it's not complete isolation. They can go fishing, play pool, make/sell coffee (butler), record music (dame), play team bball...etc. It's not prison.

People have had it a lot worse in the pandemic, so this kind of stories doesn't paint a sympathetic picture.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Lol at people white knighting guys that get paid millions to dribble a ball and had to suffer some inconvenience for 2 months. **** these guys

19. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Boo hoo. Good grief players today are soft, and spoiled. Can you imagine this sentiment from, say, the Knicks, or Pistons, or Bulls, or Lakers, back in the 80's? And it sounds like what it made them do, that was so out of the ordinary, was...focus on winning? Like, that was unusual?!?!

I'm also fairly sure getting paid millions of dollars helps take the sting out of it all. Lots of people have jobs that are tough, and take them away from their families, and also (say, in the case of the military but there are lots of dangerous jobs out there) put their lives in real danger (in ADDITION to any risk COVID might impose), so can someone PLEASE tell BronBron to go cry a river to them? Explain to them how doing what they do every day, for 2 months, while getting paid millions and millions of dollars, was such an ordeal?

Good grief. I dislike today's NBA more and more every time someone opens their yap about this.

20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Soooo whooooo shared beds?

BigDog63 likes this.