1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Clutchfans]Rockets fire Van Gundy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Oct 14, 2020.

?

HIstory

1. Ancient

17 vote(s)
    65.4%
  2. Repeats itself

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  1. rockets13champs

Who is more successful?
    Pushing championship Lakers to 7 games without tmac and Yao in 2nd round
    Or losing to jazz every year in the first round getting out coached by Jerry Sloan. JVG legit got out coached by him and then Avery Johnson that 1 year.

2. tmacman

tmacman Member

Adelman lost to the Jazz too. In less games. And only got us to the playoffs half of the 4 years he was here. Push.

bmelo likes this.
  3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Adelman was more successful, true. But JVG only lost to the Jazz once (Adelman lost the second time); and lost two playoff series. No excuses but if you watched those seven game series you’d know it was more on the players than coaching.

4. rockets13champs

But still success is measured by ur highest peak. Which is higher than JVGs.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

T-Mac stans love leaving out context. Adelman lost to the Jazz while not having Yao Ming for the entire series or Rafer Alston for the 1st 2 games. JVG had the whole squad, a 2-0 series lead yet again, and still botched it. Don’t even try to compare JVG with Adelman.

rockets13champs likes this.
  6. tmacman

tmacman Member

Success can be measured by consistency and longevity too bruh. Adelman went further but that was only for one year by winning one series. But we got to watch playoff games every year JVG was here. That’s why it’s a wash bruh.

7. tmacman

tmacman Member

Adelman had more talent overall during his years here than JVG did. JVG has mf Caroll Dawson supplying his talent. He had to start ****ing Ryan Bowen in a playoff series. Let’s not act like T-Mac and Yao didn’t start getting hurt until Adelman got here. 05-06 was one of the worst years in NBA injury history. But you’re a Harden stan that thinks a player getting below his average in an elimination game is ok so of course you wouldn’t understand lmao.

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

im willing to cut him some slack . Morey was not yet an established GM . (I actually don’t know which years JVG coached ) I do remember Morey didn’t fully take over till like 06/07 and the Shane battier trade was one of his first major moves .

I know adelman was 08/09 with our big 3 . It’s not like our other coaches haven’t influenced DM’s decision making . He looks for players MDA will play , he brought in more big guys when Mchale was here ...

Do you think in the second go around JVG will be telling Morey “no I won’t play this guy , bring in this vet instead” ? I’m sure he’s seen his work and they can work well together .

who do you want btw ?

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I like the Rockets being proactive and firing him before he's hired. So efficient. No wonder Tilman is so good at business.

Dacamel likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

u seem to think scoring 1 point in the 3rd and then 12 in the 4th as we’re down by 20+ the entire quarter just so he can get to 40 is something amazing and worthy of praise...I get it tho, T-Mac dick riders can’t hold onto much

Adelman did not have Yao in 08 and was starting Bobby Jackson to begin the playoffs while JVG had both of his stars when facing the Jazz...that is facts...of course u left that out in your pathetic little attempt to rewrite history

Adelman with no T-Mac then beats a young, 54 win Blazers team in the 1st round without HCA, loses Yao in the 2nd round, but still takes the champion Lakers to 7

stop embarrassing yourself

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I want Sam Cassell but I don't know if that's going to happen. Kenny Akinson seems to be a good coach.
    Yes JVG can be a better coach than he was back then for sure.

But he can also be the same coach too.

For the 'older' Rockets fans, there were two groups, people who are denial and people who accepted facts.
    The record shows we never got past the first round, but you will find people here who still believed we were the clear favorites.

What reality was.

1. Yao Ming / Tmac had injury issues. This was not 'luck' causing this.
    2. Tmac was a major drama queen who talked better than he played
    3. JVG insisted on recreating the Knicks V2 with all defensive players
    4. The offense was Tmac and Yao, that's it. the role players were pretty useless (eerily the same as our team now)
    5. They could never get Yao the ball in the post. This GUY IS SEVEN FOOT SIX INCHES
    6. When teams front Yao, our point guards give up and not pass him the ball
    7. Tmac settled for outside jumpers way too many times
    8. Tmac was a terrible 3 point shooter despite the fact that fans cling to the 13 point overtime barrage as their lasting memory of his 3 point shooting
    9. We were severely overhyped by the media (yes) because Yao was great for Chinese viewership. We were on TV as much as the Lakers are now.

snowconeman22 and Dacamel like this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

@Clutch
    This article was 100% accurate of the JVG era.

13. tmacman

tmacman Member

Like I said it’s a wash. You’re just one of those Harden dick riders that gets happy with winning one playoff series every year cause that’s a successful season to you hahaha.

We pushed the Lakers to 7 cause once Yao went down they stepped off the gas and Aaron Brooks dominated his weak ass matchup. Every win the Lakers had in that series was a blowout and it wasn’t even close.

You’re really comparing that Blazers team to that Mavs team and those Utah teams we had to go up against? Yeah bruh you’re just a full blown idiot hahahaha.

14. tmacman

tmacman Member

15. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

I remember those years,I dont believe he was given a championship caliber team tho.I mean you had rafer Alston at the point and chuck hayes starting,his defensive scheme is good ,but I would say that he does need a a good offensive assistant to help him.Btw many ppl on clutchfans are dogging him while most of yall dik rided Dantoni and look how awful our series panned out.

Dacamel and tmacman like this.
  16. tmacman

tmacman Member

JVG was tied to the talent provided to him by Carroll Dawson. I remember Stromile Swift getting big money. Maurice Taylor etc.

Let him coach a team with the talent provided by Morey and see what happens.

Dacamel likes this.
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

Those were his guys

when I go to McDonald’s and order chicken McNuggets that’s what I get
    It’s not McDonald’s fault

18. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

keep in mind one of those playoff years was 2005 when the NBA officials literally conspired against the Rockets in the playoffs. We had a great chance that year. I still have a hard time with the officiating in Game 5.

Burn Tim Donaghy burn.

Dacamel likes this.
  19. bmelo

bmelo Member

Look. I like both Adelman or JVG and this job isn't between them but between JVG and Tyrone Lue. If you think MDA was lame duck just wait for Ty Lue to be on cameras with James "passive aggressive" Harden and Russel "not taking **** from p*****s" Westbrook. Jeff Van Gundy been to the finals without ridings arguably Goats back, he is known for discipline, playing hard and top defense. He has maxed out basketball knowledge. I know he lost last time around but he also won some before this rockets stint it's not like he has coached for 4 years only neither the players are same. This time around he has a whole lot of different group, no Juwan Howards, no injured Sura, no Bonzi Wellses. Current roster is SUPERIOR in every way

tmacman likes this.
  20. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

Bonzi Wells!?! That dude was fat, and could not stay with an NBA team very long. His last full year in the NBA was 2008! Then his Rainforest Cafe dessert eating ass was playing over seas later that year. The only thing he was helping back then was shutting down a Chinese buffet. Bonzi F'n Wells...lol.

bmelo likes this.