1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. adoo

adoo Member

was reading this post after i had exited my remaining CALL positions in TSM.

this work-from-anywhere identity mgmt solution can be used for all brokerages
    such as schwab; trading activities have increased alot, and all the branch offices are closed,
    as all employees are working remote.
    decided to dip my toes in w a 10-pt Bullish, 60 / 70, CALL spread

[​IMG]

most definitely, as well as consulting / auditing / acctg firms who interact w them extensively

#11741 adoo, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    saitou likes this.
  2. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

What’s up with SRNE

3. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

+6 overall on my 401k this year. Holding 7 funds, a couple with 14-15% gains, 1 fund down 3%, and the remainder in single digit positive territory.

Also, been holding NET in my IRA for a few months, happy to see it run a little this week. Feel like NET will be one to hold for a while and buy in a little more if it dips a good bit. Started that position around $37 and bought again recently when it hit $33.

Mr. Brightside likes this.
  4. adoo

adoo Member

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/10/13/amds-30-billion-xilinx-acquisition-could-superchar/ AMD's Rumored $30 Billion Xilinx Acquisition Could Supercharge the Stock

Xilinx's higher profit margin and stronger cash flow can be leverage to boost earning power for AMD

in addition
    The FPGA opportunity
    Xilinx makes field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs) -- chips that can be bought off the shelf and programmed by developers to perform specific tasks. Their flexibility allows developers to quickly deploy new applications, as they can be tweaked according to the requirements of the task.

For instance, FPGAs were in strong demand last year as telecom companies started rolling out 5G networks, giving Xilinx's top and bottom lines a nice shot in the arm. Additionally, FPGAs are being deployed as accelerators in data centers for several reasons, such as low operational costs and fast computational speeds. Catalysts such as these are expected to drive solid growth in FPGA sales.

According to Xilinx's own estimates, the chipmaker sees its serviceable addressable market jumping to an estimated $28 billion by fiscal year 2024. Data centers are expected to play a key role in this growth, clocking a CAGR of 36%, while the networking and automotive markets are expected to clock 16% and 11% growth, respectively.

Xilinx is in a great position to tap into this growth. It commands an estimated roughly 60% of the FPGA market, so it could unlock a multibillion-dollar opportunity for AMD if the acquisition goes through.​

The 5G opportunity
    5G networks have used FPGAs in their initial deployments, but Xilinx has been setting itself up to take advantage of the new wireless standard for a long time to come. The chipmaker has partnered with key 5G infrastructure players such as Samsung, which recently won a multibillion-dollar contract from Verizon to roll out the latter's 5G network.

Samsung has signed other contracts as well to build 5G networks. What's more, it wouldn't be surprising to see other telecom carriers adopt Xilinx's adaptive FPGAs, as they are capable of boosting a 5G network's operational efficiency and capability with the help of beamforming technology.

Xilinx is supposed to start commercial shipments of the adaptive Versal FPGA chips in the current quarter. This should give the company's wired and wireless business (accounting for nearly a third of the revenue) a nice shot in the arm. Demand for 5G chips is expected to grow at more than 63% a year for the next seven years according to some estimates.

Astrodome and saitou like this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Probably the same thing that's always up with SRNE. People buy into it, then dump it, then buy into it, then dump it. :D I have a watch list I keep an eye on during the day and it's been on it forever. I noticed it was up and then all of a sudden it collapsed when I looked over, so I refreshed. I never could find any news. I'm wondering if someone(s) decided to sell a bunch of it and tank it to take profit on the recent pop on news from the day before (I think). That thing can be crazy volatile -- it's got a > 2.5 beta. I've been watching it since it was a $6 stock back around June/July, and I really don't have the guts to own it, especially seeing it's got something like a 25-35% short interest. It should be fun to see what happens at the open since the drop was afterhours. All the people out there with tight stops are going to get blown out in the morning unless people decide to come in and buy during the premarket, the shorts cover, or there may just be some panic selling.

Rodman23 likes this.
  6. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

The more I learn about xilinx and the potential merger the more I like it. If it goes through I hope xilinx ce stays on, seems like a big picture person + good communicator, he can be ce of xilinx group. There's no product overlap, both companies are executing well, so they can take their time and prioritise where which products and parts of the biz to merge/enhance/collab - risk of businesses losing focus and execution problems are lower.

Unlike the altera-Intel deal, xilinx and amd fab at the same foundry and will follow tsmc's design rules, making it easier to combine ip on a single soc quickly.

Short term share will depend on the ceos giving a clear articulation of the synergies and going by past performances I think this is likely. If it goes thru, cramer will give them a platform to sell the deal, he likes both of them.

Edit: also read that discussions have been on and off for 2 years already. Both sides have already given it a lot of thought. Amd's rapid share price increase may be y it's been hard to close the deal, nego started as a merger of equals and morphed into an acquisition.

#11746 saitou, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  7. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Premiums are steep :( . Ended up selling some OOTM puts.

8. adoo

adoo Member

according to info provided by my broker Schwab, the premium on NET options,
    w an implied volatility of ~~ 79%, approximates TSLA's.

as a point of reference, the premium on AMD / TSM / NVDA is ~~ 48%.

saitou likes this.
  9. adoo

adoo Member

supposedly, it has become the new darling of the Robinhoodies

10. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Definitely a pump and dump stock lol. From what I’ve been able to find out the steep drop could have been from some video conference yesterday that left a lot of uncertainty the main one being they couldn’t find patients for there trials. Could also be from shorts who knows. Either way I’m not crazy enough to invest in it . Just had a small position I exited this morning

11. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

$NIO just hit HOD

12. adoo

adoo Member

seriously considering adding AMD stocks to my core holdings, after this ERS run, awa the POTUS election.

i consider it a must-own transportation stock of the 21st century, transport of data that is.​

13. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Market is plummeting .

14. adoo

adoo Member

after mnuchin said that there will not be an airline-only stimulus; bad for re-open/recovery stocks, effectively making techs defensive plays, until
    • after the election, should Trump wins
    • after the inaugural, should Biden wins

[​IMG]
    thus, constructed a bullish put spread on ZM, 11-20 expiration

bto 490 strike PUT
    sto 510 strike PUT, collecting a premium of $11.45 in advance, defining my max risk of $9.55​

saitou and Rodman23 like this.
  15. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

@adoo in terms of technicals this looks very bullish yeah? How would you play this?

Volume still looks decent. I bought this @$2 on news that ARK invest had been buying. Was thinking of putting a trailing and see how far it goes.

[​IMG]

16. adoo

adoo Member

not interested in stocks below $10.

but here is my take, i think the heavy volume is due to trading by Robinhoodies, forming the cup

use your own chart, set the time frame to 1.5 yr.

it looks like a Cup-w-Handle formation in the making.
    if it turns out to get as such.
    when trading action reaches ~4.9, u'll see declining volume,
    that's when the handle starts forming,
    people who had brought it ~4.9 will be glad to sell to breakeven
    after that, there will be no more sellers.
    buyers (start by robinhoodies) come it and bid it up, and a pop follows​

saitou likes this.
  17. adoo

adoo Member

if i were to play this, i need to see trading action to reach ~~4.9, when the handle starts forming,
    reflecting the mass exodus of motivated sellers

saitou likes this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Waits for the "I told you so... it's still not too late!" :D

peleincubus likes this.
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

FSLY won't be much of a darling after what just happened. Well, maybe to some bargain shoppers... lol. WOW! They just cut guidance to below estimates and it got wrecked.

Sajan likes this.
  20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Down 30% after hours. lol. Ouch

Sajan likes this.