1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to Interview JVG Wednesday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

YES PLEASE HIRE HIM!

I'm a huge JVG fanboy

Landsdale and Jayzers_100 like this.
  2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

they're not the type you can rebuild with. and neither will be the picks you get from a team receiving an MVP.

Nook likes this.
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Still prefer him to be a commentator rather than our coach. But if he is going to coach elsewhere, I'd rather him be here.

HTown_TMac, Jayzers_100 and Deckard like this.
  4. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I would like to see dual Head Coaches one Defensive and one Offence
    JVG and TY Lue., Yetti

Nook likes this.
  5. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

give him 2 offers either defensive coach and head coach at least. or assistant coach

6. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

I am being a bit optimistic if JVG is selected as a coach for the Rockets. IMO I think Rockets need to go back to old-school ways of basketball. Defense and rebounding. JVG is all about this. But if JVG is to thrive, he will need a pure C/PF which seems difficult but not impossible.

7. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Lue is the worst coach in the NBA. Horrible defensive coach and sucks without LeBron.

8. rockets13champs

It’s more likely we hire JVG and have Dantoni as his lead assistant lmfao

tinman likes this.
  9. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

Understanding the media narrative could help JVG not only manage the refs, but also help craft an offense that will maximize harden and Westbrook - while being able to draw fouls.

and of course we would play pretty good defense

10. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I really like JVG. He is a solid human being and think he would do a bang up job.

But what do I know :D

11. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

Ty Lue is going to be the next Head coach for the rockets. Tillman has decided and Lue is very interested. Meeting with JVG is just a formality tomorrow to confirm decision. Was just told by a friend in the org tonight. Honestly, I wanted JVG. Not really a fan of this hire. Sorry, just passing along.

12. bmelo

bmelo Member

It seems like it from press news

13. tmacman

tmacman Member

Couple of these guys might not even be able to walk in another 4 years...

14. tmacman

tmacman Member

Nah this is false. Lu is gonna choose to go with the Clips. Rockets are gonna be signing JVG by the end of the week.

15. bmelo

bmelo Member

Ty Lue is very loyal to Doc and he might not choose Clippers because of that firing

16. HP3

HP3 Member

Some of you guys need to taper your expectations for JVG. He's not gonna play 3 big men and shoot exclusively mid range and layups like you all want him to LOL.:p

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember those JVG days
    Oh games when we scored only 80 points
    What great memories

JoeyTexas254 and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. bmelo

bmelo Member

honestly there is way higher chance of winning championship in any sport by playing elite defense than by playing elite offense. You kinda need both but I never saw great offensive team with no defense win anything. And I saw great defensive teams with no offense win it all.

I know im minority but I enjoy watching great, disruptive defense. It gives you so much more margin on offense and I am sure that as long Harden is on the squad we don't have to worry about offense even with JVG. What has Pringles done so special? Throw the ball to James and let him handle it. That was his best decision but it was made already and he doesn't come up with anything new... Jeff can throw it to Harden too but focus on small things that make a difference. I would love Jeff to coach that team. We need real coach (if we want to win championship). If Tilmans goal is to have entertaining team not nessecarily winning then he will hire Ty Lue and let it ride

charlieaustin likes this.
  19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would like to tell you newbs a fact that will absolutely shock you

Jeff Van Gundy has already been a coach for the Rockets
    And he was fired because we had two all stars and never made it out of the first round of the playoffs

@Os Trigonum

there’s this thing called google
    You Fortnite playing fools should know how to use it

20. Caesar

Caesar Member

I don't know why we always have to be all in on 1 side of the ball and can't find a great balance. When was the last time we were top 10 in both O and D or top 5? The 65 win team? The game 7 loss to the Lakers in the 2nd round when Yao went down and Brooks, Artest and the boys fought hard as a team with no all stars? Those early Rick the Ruler years were great defense with mediocre offense despite his offensive mind because of the remnants of the JVG great D, crap O days. Once Rick started settling in, we went all O and no D-albeit with minimal talent.

Championship teams are always top 10 or top 5 on both sides IIRC which means our real best shot was the 65 win team that could have easily been a 70+ win team had CP3 not missed so many games. Unbelievable circumstances. That team wipes the floor with these Lakers or last years Raptors or yes, the KD less Warriors. We won't get that kind of dominance back for another few decades.