1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to Interview JVG Wednesday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Oct 13, 2020.

1. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Oh absolutely. We'll run the same sh*t because thats what we are accustomed to and thats what Harden is comfortable with. The biggest difference is Mike Dan Tony does it because he believes in it. Ty Lue will do it because his star player tell him to do it.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  2. bmelo

bmelo Member

Its called negotiations in adults world

3. bmelo

bmelo Member

Tbh keeping tallest basketball player in the world away from the basket is just dumb. He should be surrounded by 3&d players and capitalize height advantage or pass out of double for open thee

4. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

I don't mind JVG. I like him, just his offense is bad. I don't know how much he improve over the years.
    Chris Finch is big unknown, usually mean there is high hope. We are in win mode now, I doubt we will go for rookie head coach.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Rockets will hire JVG.
    Then fire him 4 years from now to hire Rick Adelman.
    Then fire Adelman in another 4 years to hire Kevin McHale.
    Then fire Kevin McHale in 4 years to hire Mike D'Antoni...
    Then fire Mike D'Anotni in 4 years to hire JVG...

They are cursed to be trapped in a time loop.

Nook, Jayzers_100, tmacman and 3 others like this.
  6. rockets13champs

What’s wrong with arguing? I don’t understand why everyone over exaggerates over yelling. To me this means they both clearly want to win and get better. Ty Lue clearly had control of the team and Lebron is yelling at ty Lue to make changes. Ty Lue is staying strong, listening to his input but in no way did I take that as Ty Lue being lebrons b****

IslandB.O.I. likes this.
  7. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

I remember when the Texans hired a coach because he yelled at Tom Brady.

JamalP. likes this.
  8. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

9. rockets13champs

Bill oBrien was a offensive coordinator. Ty Lue is a NBA champion head coach. Who came back from 3-1 in the NBA finals.

IslandB.O.I. likes this.
  10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

JVG teams with Sura, Wesley and Jon Barry were fun as ****. I’d be way more excited with him than Lue.

fckbandwagons and bratna8 like this.
  11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

He did a great job with Team USA select. he coached the JV squad to 2 wins in separate scrimmages over the varsity team lead by pop and all-nba players. his team was lead by Chris chiozza and chanson randle. he is 15-2 in olympic qualifiers where he takes g-league players, undrafted rookies, college underclassmen and faces off against other countries best teams. FIBA/international style of play is much closer to modern nba than what what the nba looked like 10 years ago when JVG coached the rockets. what he did with us back then is not what was happening with team USA. ball movement, player movement, pace and space, all current principals of the modern nba offense.

don't get me wrong I don't think he's turned into an offensive guru. but I think we can say he's updated his schemes. the rest of his style is as we'd expect. defense oriented, technician, tight rotations, hard nosed coach-centric leadership. what fits is the defense and the technician, what may not fit is the tight rotations and the leadership style with such. veteran team. I'm sure he'd still benefit from an offensive AHC and with gentry off the market and finch in the lead for the pacers job I'm not sure who else fits the bill.

none of our options for HC are perfect but JVG I think isn't as bad as people assume. he's shown some modernization and great success with team USA just a couple years ago which is probably more accurate of an assessment than comparing to his rockets days.

in the end each coach has question marks:

Lue - how much of his success was just having lebron? does he actually have his own system?
    JVG - hasn't coached in the nba in a decade, will he ruin the offense and burn out his relationships with harden/rus?
    Atkinson - do stars respect him since two of them wanted him removed? he has no experience as a HC winning in the playoffs.
    Silas - totally unproven with in-game adjustments, never had to run a defense either.

but they all have strengths that we should be interested in as well.

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

agreed! in the end we will have 4 top notch candidates: Lue, Atkinson, JVG, Silas.

Atkinson and JVG will need a top offensive coordinator, and probably a former player who can help them finesse managing superstar players a bit. Lue and Silas will need a defensive coordinator.

At this point we can call these 4 about even. all depends on who they are paired with. For example my preference is for lue over JVG. but say we can get finch with JVG? that tips the scales.

fckbandwagons and treyk3 like this.
  13. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

Would it be so bad to run James and Russ out of town? They have had their chance to win and have failed in so many ways.

14. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Fair. I’d be down with a Lue hire honestly. I was just more pointing out I think people may be over valuing yelling.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I don't think there's a better defensive coordinator in the league than bzdelik but he things ended on a weird note between him and morey. dm wanted a commitment to stay for a full season and bzdelik chose to walk.

turner is alright. we could retain him. but if that's the pick I'm going with another staff. like if its Silas and turner or JVG and finch, I'd probably go for JVG and finch.

Erman is a creative choice but based on his resume he doesn't stand out as a difference maker. what about him do you like?

D-rock and HTown_TMac like this.
  16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

with no picks until 2027, yes it would be bad! unless you want to tank for the thunder! we have no choice but to try.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think JVG would appeal to Fertitta, but the contract it would take to get him? Unlikely. I'm conflicted about the idea. He's one of the only guys doing the games that I really enjoy listening to. He has a long history with and against the Rockets, and has lived in Houston for years. Always has something good to say about the Rockets and our players, and that's enjoyable, to say the least. I just don't know how he'd fit. Jeff would have to blow Morey and Tilman away in the interview to have a shot at the job. I think he really wants it. Badly.

Would we be happy if he got it? Just not sure.

D-rock and Jayzers_100 like this.
  18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I would happily go through the JVG years, the adelman years, the MDA years... just not the mchale years.

19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

This is probably just to be nice to JVG and formalities. I still remember his offense being just as stagnant. That is what we are trying to avoid. 5 on 5 basketball is what we need!

#59 tycoonchip, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  20. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

Obviously, you would be trading both for picks of some kind or for young emerging players. We have first rounders before 2027, they may not be good ones but they exist.