1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Supreme Court packing.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Oct 10, 2020.

?

Are you in favor of adding 2 more justices?

1. Yes.

39 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. No.

31 vote(s)
    40.8%
  3. Not sure.

6 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. No matter what happens McConnell will be remembered for how much he politicized the Judiciary.

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

Packing the courts with a bunch of unqualified, young federal judges (unqualified by the standard of the legal governing bodies) and ramming through a Supreme Court with less than a month until the election goes far and above the “sharing views of the constitution”.

It is what is, so don’t be surprised when the Dems win in 2020 and they do it back. Deal with it.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  3. Major

Major Member

I assume you won't complain then if Democrats gain power and expand the courts or do anything else you disagree with.

No Worries and dmoneybangbang like this.
  4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

It wasn't technically unconstitutional, but yes, violated most norms and wasn't what framers intended. It was a power move and the Dems could do the same if they have the political will. I just don't see it happening because Dems have been less bold in their power moves than the Republicans.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Agree... Biden should simply return to the key issues of COVID-19, healthcare, job, and the economy.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

The GOP has shrewdly realized that controlling the courts means you can control legislation even when not in power.

In the real world, I wish things weren’t so but the Dems need to be far more Machiavellian to match the GOP.

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Whispers on the street are that dip$hit transmitted the virus to Barrett and she's pissed...

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, good point: just keep hammering the old classic. "Are you better off than you were four years ago? Is your country better off than it was four years ago?" And in this case: "Are you disturbed by what's happening? Does anything feel 'great again' right now? Not so much?"

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

There's an oddly-timed outbreak at her kids' school, but I haven't heard anything else. She supposedly had the bug in the summer, but it does seem possible to re-contract the damned thing. I can't believe she wasn't more careful, but ambition and power do funny things to peoples' brains.

10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Packing is an ok short term remedy. However, we need to correct the original S. Ct Power grab that gave the unelected (traditionally for the most part) 5 the power to override the democratically elected president and both houses of Congress. For those who make a fetish out of the "intent of the framers" actual humans this power was not in the Constitution.

Yale law prof as well as PhD historian Samuel Moyn has much to say about the history of this power grab by the Supremes and how we should correct this. https://law.yale.edu/yls-today/news/qa-professor-samuel-moyn-supreme-court-reform.

Abraham Lincoln had much to say about this unjust undemocratic power grab, also.

In the long run the main problem with our ancient Constitution is that is way too hard to Amend. Tradition and custom have helped us work around it, but we see what happens when we have folks like McConnel and Trump who could give a crap about these workarounds.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

Its more than just the Supreme Court, it’s federal and state courts.

glynch and B-Bob like this.
  12. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Nice try I am talking about federal judges that turtle blocked the last 4 years of Obama presidency not just the Supreme Court. But you knew that. Pretty pathetic come back

glynch likes this.
  13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

you think blocking federal judges is a violation of tradition? wtf

14. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Obama had the lowest percentage of appointed federal judges since 1977. 28 percent were confirmed during the last two years of his presidency.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R45622.pdf

P.S. before you reply back saying that there has been tradition of slowing down judges in the final year of the presidency. Turtle man slowed down Obama’s nominations over the last FOUR years not just his final year.

#74 AleksandarN, Oct 11, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    Andre0087, ROXTXIA and B-Bob like this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Most of the judges were put in by presidents who didn't win a popular majority.

The Repugs are in a pathetic whiny nihilistic state right now...

16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

The link is light on substance regarding the history of the power grab, so I'll have to read the Law Review article. I enjoy political history. Lincoln campaigned against SCOTUS 99% due to the Dred Scott decision, but when he was elected, he kind of had it similar to Trump where justices were dying or retiring. So instead of replacing justices from slave holding states (SCOTUS was a regional thing then) with others from slave holding states, he started putting New Yorkers in the court. And once the South took their ball and went home (and after Andrew Johnson lost power - bc he was not a Radical Republican, but only carried Lincoln's favor because he tried to keep the Union together), the post-Lincoln Republicans had their way with reshaping the courts.

As for the Constitutional argument, it depends on which framer's view. Hamilton in Fed 78 definitely saw SCOTUS as the final arbiter. Jefferson wasn't a framer, but let's say he's in the same facebrook group - he felt like states could nullify laws if they decided it was unconstittuional. Madison started off more like a textualist who believed in co-equal governance and the power for any branch to strike down actions of other branches, but evolved more as he got older and I think came into line more like his buddy Hamilton.

Different framers believed in different things, but ultimately, SCOTUS has become the arbiter of what's constitutional and what new things violate what old laws (and the story of how this came to be gets lost in the weeds, but we accept it as truth today). It's not perfect, but I imagine it's much more practical than having states being able to say, nope, I don't have to follow the Federal Voting Rights Act because I, Texas, find this legislation unconsitutional.

I do agree that the constitution is way too hard to amend. And from your link, I don't think weakening the courts is any better when the current partisan gridlock can't get much done in the legislative branch. It's all about political will anyways. Once one party gets enough power, the Consitution is so malleable that it can be shaped by that party's power if the will is there.

jiggyfly and rocketsjudoka like this.
  17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It really does seem that appointing judges is the #1 priority of Congressional Republicans.

After all the things the Turtle has pulled, for the Republicans to screech about packing the court? You doled out the medicine, now take some.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To the degree MM did it to Obama, yes.

AleksandarN likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good post and agree there was disagreement among the Founders about the role of the court. That was settled with Marbury V Madison that yes the USSC can rule on the Constitutionality of laws.

I agree that the USSC has gained in importance in recent decades but a lot of that has to do with that the Legislative branch has gotten relatively weaker compared to other branches. Most USSC rulings tend to be narrow rulings and often on technical matters. In many cases passing new legislation can get around those.