1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Jaguars @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 6, 2020.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Offense looked so much more in a flow, Deshaun looked more comfortable. Defense looked solid outside of being able to stop the run.
    Still have to temper expectations, Jags are pretty bad and Watson still had a few ugly throws. By far best overall feel of a game this season.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Cal never said Easterby is helping the search. Easterby is running the off the field ops.

3. T for 3

T for 3 Member

He’s the acting GM. Of course he has input in the search. He’s not doing “off field ops”.

Regardless, he shouldn’t be acting GM. He should be out the door.

He’s done nothing to justify the power he has. A meteoric rise with a thin resume.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ba...scusses-interim-general-manager-jack-easterby

BMoney and juanm34 like this.
  4. conquistador#11

I'm just playin' but I'm sayin'... Texans have 3 receivers in the top 15 in the AFC

raining threes likes this.
  5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You don't know if he has input. He is ACTING GM because there is really no one else.

Regardless, Easterby will not be GM. Texans are not going to the Patriots' tree anymore.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Using what measure?

7. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Where does your certainty that he doesn’t have any input come from?

My assertion that he does comes from him being the current GM, and the multiple reports that he has sway with cal. It should be obvious that he does, since he’s an O’Brien guy, and he’s still here. If cal was “done with the patriot tree” why was Easterby not fired with O’Brien?

If the acting GM job is a hollow title like you say, cal could have filled it with anyone.

8. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe Madden ratings ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

BECAUSE he was the obvious choice for acting GM. You have to have someone that is point of contact for the league and teams. Easterby has really no affect on field (unless a player is needed by RAC). You are not going to wipe everyone out of the organization during the season. There is no point to that. You hire a GM during the offseason, he will hire a coach....then you clean house. The Texans still think they have a chance at the playoffs. This is RAC's team until the end of the season.

What does firing Easterby now do? Don't give me "it shows the fans". Most fans have no clue who Easterby is. Firing O'Brien shows the fan a new direction is coming.

And no, he could not fill with anyone. Easterby atleast was doing some of the GM work. He will allow for the least amount of disruption during the season. If Easterby wasn't there, you couldn't tell me who could do the GM job.

10. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Jack Easterby had zero experience as a GM before this job. Zero.

But, in your mind there is no one in the front office who could be a point of contact for the league except Easterby? Why? The idea that he is too valuable to be replaced right now doesn’t make any sense if all he is doing is waiting for RAC to ask him to look at players. There are certainly people in the FO right now who have more years of experience than Easterby, since Easterby had none before he came here.

I’m not saying fire everybody. I’m saying fire him because he’s O’Brien’s right hand man, and according to you, he isn’t doing anything other than basic GM stuff anyway.
    Firing him means that Cal is moving on from the Patriot tree. What he is doing now reeks of firing Kubiak but not Smith. That was a dumb mistake, and it feels like not firing Easterby is similar. It reeks of the spineless indecision so common to McNair ownership. When you make a statement, make it all the way.

I have no doubt Easterby is doing plenty of work right now. Again, I am basing my claims of his influence with Cal on multiple things I have read and heard.

What are you basing your assertion that he is a powerless, lame duck on?

11. Buck Turgidson

Every single report on the GM search has said that, though.

No, Easterby will not be the next GM. Easterby is abso-****ing-lutely helping to pick the next GM.

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Goodness, FUN & loose is really this important lol? I get not being miserable. But either B'OB & front office is really that depressing. Or its more "millennial" now needing Tiktok dances & social media Likes to be engaged. Whatever helps I guess

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Ive heard no Patriots. Easterby does have a connection to Mike Borgonzi in KC who is a candidate for the GM job. Who would probably hire Beiniemy.

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Firing Easterby Does nothing but satisfy your need to remove anything BoB. Cal can wait to fire him after the season. Cal is trying to limit the disruption to the season. Remember, BoB removed many of those FO guys.

Cal doesn't care about your feelings. He is doing what is best for the rest of this season.

raining threes likes this.
  15. T for 3

T for 3 Member

It does more than satisfy my feelings. It assures that he doesn’t have a hand in picking the new GM. I know you don’t think he has a hand in that, but I think he does.

I’m basing the idea off multiple articles/tweets from reputable people saying that Easterby has influence with Cal.

Not to mention, there wasn’t a full reset in the last round of firings when Kubiak was let go.

It’s not about my feelings. There is support for what I am saying. There is also a precedent for McNair’s not handling firings correctly. I don’t want it to happen again, and I don’t want an O’Brien hold over influencing *any* decisions moving forward.

Crashlanded19 and raining threes like this.
  16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You do not gut your full upper management staff in season. Your feelings don’t matter.

17. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

The thing that worries us (or at least me) is that if easterby has the influence we hear about, there’s a chance he hoodwinks cal into staying at GM after this season...if that happens, that is a problem. Keeping him and keeping him in charge of the GM search should not happen if cal is in serious looks to change things

maybe my fears are unfounded and they really will look for a new GM, but I think easterby is going to try like hell to stick around as the GM

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Again, y’all seem to think Cal is dumb and can be hypnotized by Easterby. LOL. Hiring an outside Search firm tells you different. Cal is not an idiot.

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm hoping that even if Cal asks the search firm to include Easterby, they recognize that he really doesn't have the background to be providing input into that kind of search and they just give him some pretty pictures to color or something while they do the real work. I don't know who the search firm is, but I would hope they would have enough snap to ignore Easterby's input if it doesn't make sense.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice to finally get a win and put some points on the board, however it was still closer that I would have liked after 3 quarters. But hey, take what you can get and let's hope they carry that 4th quarter momentum into next week.