1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has anyone lost their jobs?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Air Langhi, Oct 10, 2020.

?

Did you lose your job?

1. yes

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. no

34 vote(s)
    77.3%
  1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Thankfully, It seems like most of the people I known seems have done ok during covid. Some O&G cut some salary, but other than that i only know a handful of people lost their jobs.

How has everyone here fared?

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

My company reduced our salaries by 20% in May but a few months later they ended the salary cut and paid us our wages back.

Poloshirtbandit and Astrodome like this.
  3. Outlier

Outlier Member

Furloughed in July, didnt get brought back, Laid off in September

Have tried to look for a job since being furloughed but nothing

I'm sad

4. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Best advice is to find a recruiting firm for your field.

If there are certifications available in your industry, get those and post them on LinkedIn. I had recruiting firms reaching out after that. Just don't get scammed; they are paid by the companies they're recruiting for - not you.

Rocket River likes this.
  5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think you need to look outside houston. I know my company isn't hiring anyone, but they have stopped on the layoffs.

6. Buck Turgidson

My brother did. Restaurant supply/planning in Austin. Still unemployed.

CometsWin and tmoney1101 like this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It is tough out here in these unemployment streets

Rocket River

8. Roscoe Arbuckle

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

5% reduction in salary but hanging in there. Petrochemical.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

extremism on both sides has to stop.

statistically it isn’t nearly as “omg you have covid you’ll die!” As some make out. I have an employee that was down with covid and is fine now as well as a nephew.

on the other hand, I know if 3 people that have passed (all older) from covid and never knew anyone that passed from the flu in my life.

nor does the flu create some of the myriad of problems certain covid long haulers have experienced. I’ve seen some of that first hand ... and personally have learned to deal with certain chronic health issues that you just have to constantly manage and I truly dont wish that on any folks.

in short it’s much worse than a bad flu, but not as bad as a stop the world completely.

in lots of areas and industries people are choosing their own risk tolerance. And that seems logical. The resulting economic impact of that is what happens when consumer demand changes. Other industries have exploded. Such is life.

fortunately I am still employed.

jchu14, arkoe, rocketsjudoka and 3 others like this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

still employed but shopping around. will need to find a new one by first quarter next year, if not sooner. i work for a non profit but it's not looking great.

12. Roscoe Arbuckle

I'm being 100% honest. In 7 months I have known 4 people that got it. One was asymptomatic, and the other 3 were sick for a couple weeks. I know of nobody who has died; old, sick or otherwise.

I do know tons of people who have lost their jobs and are at their wits end. My company is nearly 5 years old. We went from have one of our top 3 best months ever in April to not making a living wage this month. And I'm in a lagging industry because we deal with older clientele. I don't know how long it will take to recover.

You want to keep making us wear masks, that is fine, but we as a society have to move on. Covid has been around 20 years. SARS had the same death percentages as this. Nothing shut down.

The science was just wrong and we will be paying exponentially the longer we continue to try and hide from something that can come in through plumbing or any other variety of ways.

Jontro likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I did but was already in negotiations for another one, the job was a bridge anyway, so it didn't hurt.

DD

14. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

I got out of sales after robbing Peter to pay Paul from 08-12, after that stress of keeping everyone above water and the memory of the tech bubble burst and $10,000s in losses in 01 I didn't want to go thru it anymore with a family and kids.

I'm fortunate so far at this time, not doing what I truly enjoy but I sleep well. Can only say chasing the Dollar has its ups and downs and learning to find that right balance is difficult but possible.

15. JayZ750

yeha but you’re anectodal account is as anectodal as mine. Where i know 3 people that died.

that’s my point.

IBTL and Jontro like this.
  16. Roscoe Arbuckle

And that sucks. But 100 million now in extreme poverty due to this and growing? How many deaths will come from that? It will take decades to know.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Survived the cut in April (50% of company, around 70% for our team) -- we're hiring again. Tech.

Luckily no salary cuts.

Jontro likes this.
  18. JayZ750

maybe if we had Programs to help them and not increase public equity value????

what if we put in place sensible measures from the get go? Contact tracing? Mask? Etc?

but these are things to weigh and measure. Certainly we can be smart and responsible and find ways to mitigate both covid issues and economic issues and job loss?

now I personally don’t think you really care about those people that much... just knowing your persona. Certainly I can’t recall you ever really being concerned about people in poverty before. I suspect you just want life to return to normal. ‍♂️

TWS1986, AB and rocketsjudoka like this.
  19. Roscoe Arbuckle

I don't think you understand the levity of what is going on.

20. Buck Turgidson

He's not the only one.

TWS1986, rocketsjudoka and Andre0087 like this.