1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG: Describe his Offensive game strategy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

seriously

What is his strategy that will make the rockets
    Better?

Rocket River

elmotsang, arabrocket and BigShasta like this.
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

throw it into the post and bang in the paint?

Amel and D-rock like this.
  3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

JVG has an offensive game strategy?

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Well . .. alot of people want him back
    and
    I am wondering what our offense will look like after
    What is the motion Harden doing everything expectation . . .where does it come from

Rocket River

tinman, ball king23 and D-rock like this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Prioritize makes over misses - it's just that kind of a league

Nelly likes this.
  6. CXbby

CXbby Member

Jeff is detail oriented and will hold his players accountable, while still giving leeway to his stars. He's also smart so I trust him to make proper adjustments throughout the game. As far as offensive strategy I guess give it to his best players and get out the way, which wouldn't be much different from Dantoni if his best player is Harden.

Personally I would prefer Stephen Silas out of all the candidates mentioned, but I would root for Jeff.

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

JVG with an elite offensive assistant would be fine by me.

Bottom line: we have two of the most unique offensive players in the league, and you need a coach that can effectively utilize their talents. Somebody innovative that can adapt and think outside the box.

With Harden that “unique” distinction is all positive — one of the best offensive players in the history of the game. Everyone knows that. But with Russ that “unique” label carries both pros and cons. You need a coach that can make effective lineups for Russ with Harden both on and off the floor.

JVG has been out of the game for a while, but is smart enough to know his PnR centric offensive with no movement isn’t going to get the job done in today’s NBA. It’s important he would have a savvy offensive assistant to lean on.

8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I think it will be hard to know since the game has changed so much between now and his last NBA HC job. If his commentary is any indication though, he definitely values analytics an appropriate amount, but is always harping on good ball movement and defense.

edit: EFFORT and ACCOUNTABILITY. How could I forget? This is why I want him as the coach.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Chicken without its head is effort and accountability but what does it look like and its effectiveness?

Rocket River

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I would rather have JVG who has spent the past 12 years analyzing the best teams in the league than a disciple of another coach who's spent that time in just a few locker rooms. After 12 years of analysis, we don't really know what JVG would do, though he may be explaining it to Morey right now. All we know for sure is that he's capable, he's personable, and he'll put in the work.

Regardless, I would rather have Jeff than Ty Lue. I mean what's his strategy? Other than giving the ball to LeBron?

11. ball king23

ball king23 Member

I dont know what his offensive game plan will be but i do know that its been a long time since he has coached and its not 2007 the game has changed a lot and this is no longer a throw it in the post and battle down low anymore its more of fast past defensive have guys that are athletic and can make plays type of game it it were me I would prefer Stephen Silas or Ty or even Sam cassell

RayRay10 and D-rock like this.
  12. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

I'm telling you we need to hire the Van Gundy bros. Do it Tilman! Go take out a loan first

RayRay10 and hakeem94 like this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

JVG is probably a different coach now than he was back in the day. We have to stop thinking he hasn't evolved with all the basketball he has watched over the years. The fact that JVG is one of the few people in media that doesn't sh*t all over analytics and shooting threes should give some insight into who he is now.

I would say JVG offensive strategy is common sense.

Rashmon, amaru, PeterKingX and 8 others like this.
  14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

SVG hates the Astros.. no to that guy, he's a hoe.

BigShasta, RayRay10, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I always thought a lot of JVG’s defense was his slow and deliberate pace on offense. I don’t think he’s a good fit for this roster at all, and I absolutely love the guy. I just don’t see a match with this team.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

His primary offensive strategy is what's best for his defense. Much like how with football we used to talk about a running game. It is to limit turnovers and space players in such a way that they can release fast for transition defense.

He's a firm believer that if you win the TO battle and stop fastbreaks then any set offense will win

now I await someone arguing with me as if I advocate this for the Rockets, simply because I describe JVG offensive philosophy :)

#16 heypartner, Oct 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    Deuce, Nook, don grahamleone and 2 others like this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Throw it in to Yao, kick it out if doubled.

amaru, RayRay10 and topfive like this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

@DreamShook off the top rope with a common sense reply!

.... It will be mostly ignored.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

His offensive strategy used to be "Make the other team score less than us." which is why each game turned into a grind it out, slugfest. After watching all the current offensive play stiles now though, who knows?

amaru, RayRay10 and D-rock like this.
  20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

If Jeff is hired I ask for a Spanoulis come back

Nelly and D-rock like this.