1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is John Durham

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Sep 14, 2020.

1. adoo

adoo Member

your convenient narrative (suppositions built upon suppositions) is still facts-free / context-free

#161 adoo, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    AleksandarN likes this.
  2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

doubt they'd have someone who favors gun control.

3. basso

Supporting Member

Surprising, there may not be an October Surprise.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

So yea, whats the specific crime that occurred here again?

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Drip Drip...thud?

Might be a bad play to throw b**** t*** Billy under the bus.

Repairing The Bus in his wake might take a long long time...

https://www.axios.com/barr-durham-report-election-3c02ec6a-7613-4083-b35c-4844de6da16b.html
    Attorney General Bill Barr has begun telling top Republicans that the Justice Department’s sweeping review into the origins of the Russia investigation will not be released before the election, a senior White House official and a congressional aide briefed on the conversations tell Axios.

Why it matters: Republicans had long hoped the report, led by U.S. Attorney John Durham, would be a bombshell containing revelations about what they allege were serious abuses by the Obama administration and intelligence community probing for connections between President Trump and Russia.

• “This is the nightmare scenario. Essentially, the year and a half of arguably the number one issue for the Republican base is virtually meaningless if this doesn't happen before the election," a GOP congressional aide told Axios.
    • Barr has made clear that they should not expect any further indictments or a comprehensive report before Nov. 3, our sources say.
    • Politico first reported that Durham is not expected to release information related to the probe before Election Day and Senate Republicans running similar investigations were made aware within the last week.
    • The Justice Department declined to comment. The White House did not respond to a request for comment.
    What we're hearing: Barr is communicating that Durham is taking his investigation extremely seriously and is focused on winning prosecutions.

• According to one of the sources briefed on the conversations Barr said Durham is working in a deliberate and calculated fashion, and they need to be patient.
    • The general sense of the talks, the source says, is that Durham is not preoccupied with completing his probe by a certain deadline for political purposes.
    Behind the scenes: Trump has grown increasingly frustrated with Barr and the Justice Department for not moving more quickly on the investigation.

• One administration official said Fox Business Network's Maria Bartiromo's recent interview with Rep. Devin Nunes on Sunday caught Trump's eye, further fueling his exasperation with the lack of indictments from Durham.
    • In recent days, Trump has publicly criticized Barr and FBI Director Christopher Wray for not moving fast enough.
    • "To be honest, Bill Barr is going to go down as either the greatest attorney general in the history of the country or he’s going to go down as, you know, a very sad situation," Trump said during a phone interview with Fox Business on Thursday.
    • "He’s got all the information he needs. They want to get more, more, more. They keep getting more. I said, 'you don’t need any more.'"
    • A Thursday report by the AP said Barr is also frustrated by Trump’s public pronouncements about the case.
    The backstory: Trump's allies have long asserted that Durham's investigation will result in the arrests of top Obama administration officials. So far, Durham's probe has resulted in one criminal case: a former FBI lawyer who pleaded guilty to altering an email used to help obtain a surveillance warrant on former Trump campaign adviser Carter Page.

• A former DOJ official told Axios that Durham "has a reputation for being thorough, but also somewhat slow, in part because of the big tasks he's undertaken."
    • The official pointed to Durham's Obama-era investigation into the CIA's use of torture, one that took years for him to complete.
    • "It comes with the territory of a sprawling investigation that every stone you turn over needs to be fully scrutinized," the former official said.
    What's next: Top Republicans are planning to pressure Barr to get ahead of Durham and temper expectations for the timing of the report's release, as well declassify whatever remaining documents there are connected to the probe.

• "Bill Barr should follow the instructions of the president to declassify and release all the documents the FBI are sitting on. There's no good reason for him to withhold this information," a senior White House official said.
    • Earlier this week, Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe approved the release of a large binder full of documents to the DOJ to assist their review of the Durham probe.

#165 Invisible Fan, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  6. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I mistyped. I'm saying I believe the information on the servers, the content of the emails, are the real issue. This is just my opinion to be clear. We'll know soon enough because Pompeo said today he's releasing Clinton's emails. I guess her hopes as a write-in may be squashed...lol.

adoo likes this.
  7. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I don't know what the crime is. Maybe sedition? Probably not. I don't know that there is a law against weaponizing the CIA & FBI for political purposes. I do know that it's not what most Americans want out of their government. Is undermining a sitting president a crime? It's actually a really good question: What is the crime?

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How was it weaponized?

9. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

What ... do you need links to the declassified material? CNN and Axios isn't going to cover this and explain it to you. Catherine Herridge (CBS) does a good job in breaking down what's in the material as it's been released. She doesn't seem to insert her opinion. Or if she does, my political bias blinds me from seeing it....and that could very well be. But she's been on the story for a while.

10. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

You'll eventually figure it out

11. fchowd0311

Hopefully before the election so I can make a decision.

12. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

that ship has sailed

13. fchowd0311

Well that sucks.

14. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did those WMDs ever turn up?

15. basso

Supporting Member

the election is not the issue; getting the truth out is.

B@ffled likes this.
  16. basso

Supporting Member

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Even if that any of this was true (note - It isn't), Trump was not the sitting president, Obama was, so I ask again, what is the crime?

18. dmoneybangbang

Declassify the peepee tapes!

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Even still, Trump has actively shared classified information with Russia and Republicans have shared classified info publicly even. So why is Clinton in trouble for having classified emails on her server?

Also her emails were investigated of any kind of intent of a conspiracy against Trump and nothing was found - by Republicans no less.

But you do have an active effort by Trump to work with foreign gov't to sabotage the Biden campaign without any issue. So again, a horrendous double standard.

20. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

this is the most pathetic attempt at an October surprise I’ve ever seen. It’s late, it’s weak, and it’s sooooo tired.