1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. adoo

adoo Member

maybe 2 mos ago, did some anlaysis on fsly, was gonna make a play on it.
    then i read about a class action suit against the mgmt team, which spooked me. i opted to buy AKAM instead.

i think that the class action suit is back in the news

3. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Event was solely focused on selling desktop cpus to consumers. Product has a significant performance jump, but didn't have wow features like the nvidia event that went beyond raw performance and into AI features (e.g., image upscaling), so no big boost to price after event like the nvidia one. Still hoping for analyst upgrades before my calls expire lol.

From investor perspective, I think the biggest takeaway is that they've raised product prices by $50 across the stack. That's a 10-20% price increase on the previous gen models that they will be replacing, and those models just came out last year. With performance lead in just about every workload, they are now pricing CPUs higher than intel, and will still expect to sell out everything. With wafer supply at TSMC ramping up, revenue/earnings growth is almost certain.

One thing that wasn't covered at the event but will be evident later, will be the impact of new architecture's reduced latency on their server class chips when they launch. Reduced latency is especially important to the hyperscalers (think search times), and should be a hit in that market.

There was also a sneak peak of their new graphics card performance at the end - if benchmark can be trusted, it is almost at exact same raw performance as nvidia's 3080, but will likely lose out on features and will have to be priced cheaper.

4. adoo

adoo Member

:confused::confused::confused:,

while AMD is down $0.4 for the day, so far, NVDA is down $5.9​

5. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

And intel is up, despite the amd presentation actually being bad news for them haha. Today's presentation was aimed at retail consumers, not shareholders. I suspect there may be more movement after the finance analysts that cover the sector weigh in on the share price implications, and the Cramer types start talking abou it. The efficiency lead is now 2.8x over intel.

[​IMG]

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

A few months ago I mentioned MMEDF on here and not a single person acknowledged the post I don’t think. It is up though about 300% since then and in the next several years I think it could be much much higher still.

Invisible Fan and Astrodome like this.
  7. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Any catalysts coming up?

8. adoo

adoo Member

saitou likes this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Which means it probably meant bodes well for BABA. :D Nice. This is a monster.

saitou likes this.
  10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

For those of you that love the semis, NXPI just sort of pre-announced that they'll probably be announcing good news. lol. They've got good exposure to the auto industry, so that helps.

NXP Semiconductors stock rallies on improved outlook
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/nxp-semiconductors-stock-rallies-on-improved-outlook-11602188441

Also in semis, ON popped today simply because Starboard recommended as a good opportunity to buy. This stock has languished for months until recently. I know they have exposure to the autonomous driving industry. This stock has taken off since late September'ish.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Nothing specific that I can remember unless I went back and looked. But I’ve read a few things on seeking alpha about things that have been announced.

overall i know where society is moving. And there are plenty of people out there that don’t want to pop pills etc and want alternatives that actually work. Younger generations are in my opinion much more open to things like this.

saitou and davidio840 like this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think nobody said anything because it's an OTC stock and most people don't bother following OTC stocks because in many cases, they're OTC for a reason. That being said, when a stock is that cheap, it's a good way to make or lose money since minute movements could mean wild swings in gains or losses.

I generally try to stay away from stocks that have market caps under $500 million - $1 billion (although there have been exceptions). When someone tells me an OTC stock has gone up 300% on basically no news (that I can find, anyway), well... lol. I also don't think it has much to do with younger generations. When it comes to stocks and making money, institutions are willing to make money off of people no matter the age. For example, there are tons of people in canibus stocks like Aurora, Tilray, Cronos, etc. I own stock in GrowGeneration even though I don't do pot or psychedelics. Altria makes me tons in dividends each quarter even though I don't smoke. I've never bought anything from a Starbucks, but I've owned the stock for over a decade, I only recently bought Nike shoes even though I've owned the stock for years.

FYI :

From some quick/brief research :

The OTC markets are usually about gambling to me, and there's nothing wrong with that, so this could be a 100-bagger for you, who knows. Good luck. Come back and tell us we were all suckers for not listening to you and buying Walmart instead for 2% future returns instead. :D

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I’ll respond to this later when I have more time. But I presumed at least a small portion of the tickers mentioned here were OTC’s. If not I presumed wrong.

CCity Zero and saitou like this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Most of the stocks mentioned here are the usual larger cap stocks. There's nothing wrong with people mentioning smaller cap OTC's (I hope you don't think that's what I was saying). Some people trade those successfully. I was just saying I don't, but I'm willing to have my mind changed. lol. Most of the exotic smaller cap stocks people mention here are SPACs. Those are the exceptions I mentioned above that I do trade occasionally.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

#11695 Dr of Dunk, Oct 8, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    CCity Zero, saitou and davidio840 like this.
  16. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Yes!! Give me a chance to close out my calls haha. Not sure what market reaction will be as xilinx aren't well known and don't make consumer products; but analysts in the semi space have been calling for either amd or nvda to make this move for awhile now, especially since Intel bought altera.

17. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

I think quite a few here are willing to take a small punt if the potential reward makes sense relative to the increased risk. Challenge is that there are so many of these penny stocks - if you have insights on a potential multibagger pls share :)

CCity Zero likes this.
  18. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

IPOD IPOE and IPOF supposedly start trading tmrw if you wanna get on the Chamath SPAC train.

Dream Sequence and saitou like this.
  19. adoo

adoo Member

xxx delete

#11699 adoo, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  20. adoo

adoo Member

pre-market indications, AMD down ~2 XLNX up ~ 18

imagine if the NXPI / QCOM merger had gone thru