1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JJ Watt is done as an elite player

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaDakota, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Trade deshaun too. Unless y’all think some half billion dollar agreement awaits him why would he re-sign here...sit through a rebuild...so he can be on like year 8 or 9 hoping for his first chance to compete?

trade him and watt. Trade anything of value. How much is that lamp worth?

coachbadlee likes this.
  2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

How many times do you see a franchise qb walk or traded in their prime? Brees only because of his shoulder injury. They’re not trading Watson. Hell it took the franchise 16 years to get a qb.

clos4life and red5rocket like this.
  3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The team as is can still compete. They should look better sooner than later.

clos4life likes this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Do you really believe that?

There is no depth, no impact young players, not much draft capital and will be in cap hell next year.

5. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

how many times did it happen where the qb felt like the franchise sucked, made no changes right before a free agency decision where every team will be offering him the moon?

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The problem has always been playcalling. So much so that all other problems stemmed from that. It took defenses one possession to figure out BoBs entire play book.
    As a matter of fact, there was a point in the 3rd quarter of the Vikings game where the Texans drove all the way down the field and scored almost easily. Plus they didn't run it up the middle much at all in that drive. I knew immediately that that was not O'Brien calling plays. For a short moment we may have caught a glimpse of what Tim Kelly has to offer. Then it was back to the old humdrum for the rest of the game.

7. thejav

thejav Member

Can we get a 3rd for him?

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Being serious?

You know he signed an extension tying him to Houston for the next 6 years? And he has a no-trade clause. Already worried about his next extension/not re-signing when he hasn't even begun this one?

clos4life and red5rocket like this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Playcalling is terrible, I agree.
    Watson has still struggled with quick reads, accuracy, decision making. It hasn’t improved and has gotten worse in some cases.
    I hope that a new coach can get him back on the right track, but we’re still paying him like he’s elite-now.

And even if he does get back to being a stud, the rest of the team is average at best. No depth, no potential young stars and no picks to stock up. Not to mention cap hell

red5rocket likes this.
  10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Our team on offense still have some life to do some damage. Defense is sht, no redemption. Let's hope the new coach maximize Watson talent cause he is way more skilled than he looks cause BoB did him no favors.

red5rocket likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I hope so, I truly do. I love Watson’s intangibles, the problem is the tangibles seem to be regressing.
    Hope he can get coached up, quick. That contract he doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt. He’s already paid like top 2 in the league and is at best 8-10 range right now

12. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree with everyone that says this.

Most of these bad contracts are up after the 2021 season. With the right GM and HC, you can turn a team around quick.

13. conquistador#11

If Reader doesn't get drunk and suspended for 4 games, Texans will get another comp pick, 3rd if he continues to cause disruption.
    Not saying there should ever be a year in which you don't have your first round and 2nd round picks but there will be a lot of talent dropping just because of the F'd up college season. Players that would go in the first round but the season started late for them so they couldn't keep up with last season's success or players that didn't have a chance to have that break out season but still go into the draft. Journey Brown as the main RB.

#53 conquistador#11, Oct 8, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Totally forgot about comp picks. Hopefully DJ does gets us a 3rd rounder.

clos4life likes this.
  15. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Assuming the Texans choose the right HC and GM. Most of the bad contracts will be gone after next season.

Gigantic and undeserved assumptions, that won’t really get to use the draft or free agency until after NEXT season... to start a 3 year rebuild? I mean this already sounds like ludicrous horse leavings but assuming this modest outline true you are talking about a team that needs a rebuild that can’t start doing it for another 2 seasons basically. Deshaun is coming up on his first big contract you think he really wants to spend his time playing with overpaid and bad players, so that by the time his LAST big contract comes up he’ll be almost ready to compete in Houston.

Tell me, just what part of this sounds disagreeable? Other than potentially knowing the team won’t be competitive again for another 4-5 seasons because of how god awful they let the previous coach get.

16. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Deshaun was the last one to sign his contract so if he thought they were overpaid and bad players, I'm not sure he would've signed the deal. Every year there's a last place team that finishes first in the some division. With the division we have, we aren't too far off from first place. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we ended in first this season.

Players around the league knew BOB was an ass and that's why we couldn't get some free agents. Just ask Chris Harris Jr. He would've easily been our best corner today. Not to mention, we should've retained a few big name free agents. All this 4-5 year rebuild, you can miss me with that. I believe this team can be dangerous in 2021.

Sean McVay turned a 4-12 team to a 11-5 team in his first year with a QB people thought was a bust. Next season, superbowl appearance.
    Doug Pederson turned a 7-9 team into a 13-3 team in his second season, plus superbowl WIN.
    Kyle Shanahan took his team to the superbowl in his third season.

Stop telling me it'll take 4-5 years for these things to change. This is three different franchises in the past three seasons. Some people just don't want to see positivity.

clos4life, joshuaao and Fulgore like this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That Rams team was super talented though, spent some money on it.
    The philly team is probably comparable in terms of talent, edge to Philly.
    And Shanahans team is one of the best ran and best drafting team in the league

18. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Define dangerous?! Dangerous like poison or dangerous like you think afc south champs? Dangerous like afc or super bowl what does dangerous mean?

You’ve got no coach, no GM, no identity, no picks, no cap space and literally no reason to believe in acute hires and astronomic trajectory. But hey, I’ll miss you with like, accurate portrayals of what is happening while you talk about danger levels and other franchises and Super Bowls.

19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I think not

20. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Or a competent coach. Have you ever had the displeasure of working for a sh!tty boss? If so, do you remember how it felt to have the life sucked out of you?

clos4life likes this.