1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Seems like an arbitrary place to plant your flag. "X coach is Y successful, therefore I think Z" is a bit too formulaic for me. I'm for Bienemy because I think he clearly gets how to run an offense in 2020's NFL, particularly with a young starlet QB. I've been a huge Reid fan since the McNabb days, and he would be my coach of choice in just about any "start over" scenario. So getting a guy who has been one of his top offensive assistants for over 7 years would be about as good as it gets. It's not just about the W/L, it's about finding a coach who can play to your strengths. I think this offense has the parts in place to be elite if the right coach is piloting it. Whether that be Reid's top lieutenant or some college coach, so be it.

He's going to be 69 when next season starts. It feels like he'd come here, phone it in for two years, and then chuck deuces while cashing his check and laughing all the way back to Boston.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm willing to listen; I'm just skeptical. I think it's telling that three of the four best coaches from Reid's tree (Harbaugh, Rivera & McDermott) are defensive-minded. Pederson is the lone offensive side and he's been a bit of a mixed bag.

Maybe.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Andy Reids coaching Tree:

[​IMG]

Yeah, Id be willing to gamble on one of his coordinators.

4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Easteby VP
    Caserio GM
    Dabo HC

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

In addition to Saleh, I'd want to interview Mike McDaniel from the 9ers. Shanahan's blocked interview requests before when teams asked for McDaniel so it might be improbable but wouldn't hurt.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  6. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

This is going to be unpopular, but I think this is a great opportunity to immediately bring in a guy like Sashi Brown as a weak GM (without final say on executive decisions) to modernize the front office with data analytics. Considering this is essentially a sunk season, the focus becomes scouting our own roster, next year's free agent class, and the draft class, and there's no time to lose on that front. Modernizing the front office might also help the team pick a better head coach for next year.

Kim likes this.
  7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I liked what Brown did. He basically did a Hinkie job of tearing down the team to acquire valuable picks. The only pause for concern with Brown for me is that we never got to see who he would have used all those picks on in the draft.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's hard to envision two New England dudes with a long shared history bringing in someone completely foreign to them.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

It’s reported Easterby and Dabo are “very friendly”

10. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Give me Robert Saleh DC from SF then use his Shanahan connections to get an OC from Shanahan’s tree.

As far as GM, I feel like the Ravens, Niners, Saints, Steelers, Seahawks, Chiefs are all really well run teams so I feel like some of their player personnel guys could be good hires.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

They've definitely got the god squad connection going on.

Rudyc281 and Hey Now! like this.
  12. Fantasma Negro

GMs:
    A. Will McClay, assistant director of player personnel, Cowboys
    B. Scott Fitterer, co-director of player personnel, Seahawks
    C. Joe Hortiz, director of player personnel, Ravens
    D. Jeff Ireland, assistant GM, Saints,

Coaches:
    A. Robert Saleh, defensive coordinator, San Francisco 49ers
    B. Eric Bieniemy, offensive coordinator, Kansas City Chiefs
    C. Joe Woods, defensive coordinator, Cleveland Browns
    D. Greg Roman, offensive coordinator, Baltimore Ravens
    E. Teryl Austin, senior defensive assistant/secondary, Pittsburgh Steelers

gucci888 likes this.
  13. Hey Now!

So, if not mistaken, his offensive-minded coaches (Childress, Shumur, Pederson, Nagy) have, combined, four 10+ win seasons and 11 seasons of 9 or fewer wins. I mean, I'm not saying outright NO! because every coach is his own man, etc. But it sure seems like his defensive guys, where Reid is almost certainly less involved, have had greater success?

Nook likes this.
  14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I wish we could get Louis Riddick to come take the GM job

Fulgore and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Bingo

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Wow, youre right. I didnt realize that most of that trees success came from his defensive side.

17. Hey Now!

I like the GM candidates. But really feel they need more of a college football impact on the coaching side. I think that's the next innovative step in NFL.

Rudyc281 and Fantasma Negro like this.
  18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Oh I like Saleh.

19. conquistador#11

Mike Leach Air raid all the time?
    Not sure If I'd like that. But it makes me wonder how guys like Charlie Ward could maybe have had a better chance at getting drafted or if our own U of H early 90s qb would have found success in the pros if coaches were more opened to tweaking their style for the qb instead of the way around.

I'm DTW, down to win (more than a division title) . Just don't want to hear "week to week gameplan O" for the rest of la vida

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Think Harbaugh and Rivera are skewing that thought quite a bit, both have been very good with Harbaugh being a Top 3 coach IMO. Rest of the defensive guys have gone a combined 73-131 with just 2 playoff appearances, both losses. On the other side, Pederson has a SB like Harbaugh although he hasn't been all that great since and Childress got the Vikings to a NFC Championship game at least. Schurmur was god awful though.