1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official ALDS] Astros vs. Athletics

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

All series talk goes in here. Non series talk goes somewhere else. No PBP, that can be found from other sources if you need it.

10-5 Lance McCullers Jr. (R) vs. Chris Bassitt (R) 3:07 TBS, TBS-INT

10-6 Framber Valdez (L) vs. Sean Manaea (L) 3:37 TBS, TBS-INT

10-7 TBD vs TBD 2:35 TBS, TBS-INT

10-8 TBD vs. TBD 2:35 TBS, TBS-INT

10-9 TBD vs. TBD 2:35 TBS, TBS-INT

2. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

We're gonna beat the **** out of TBD! Let's GO!

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Astros are slight underdogs in this series. Go Stros

4. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Refresh my memory... we were underdogs even in the '17 WS right? I don't recall a lot of people picking us.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bulletin Board Material
    https://www.athleticsnation.com/202...uston-astros-alds-grudge-match-mlb-postseason
    A’s vs. Astros is a grudge match for the ages
    Playoff series are already big, but the hate between the A’s and the Astros makes this ALDS monumental

Toward the end of the regular season, there was a sizable contingent of A’s fans that were afraid to face the Astros.

The fear was not out of a belief that the A’s couldn’t beat Houston, but that the A’s wouldn’t beat them (because, up till last week, they wouldn’t beat anybody in the playoffs). The thought of losing to the putrid cheaters was so horrific that it could not be entertained. The thought of losing that comes about because the A’s always lost in these situations.

However, after last week, that thought isn’t there, and instead it’s replaced by an at times brash confidence with an underlying sense of purpose. The confidence that comes with winning is the perfect weapon to take into the ultimate grudge match.

And make no mistake, this is a grudge match, even if Billy Beane insists it isn’t. The mutual disdain is out in the open. Unlike a lot of so-called “rivalries,” which are really more for the fans and not the players, the A’s players aren’t shy about sharing their disrespect for the Astros.

These guys in the locker room know the incredibly difficult decision that Mike Fiers had to make when he went public and on record about the Astros’ electronic sign stealing maneuvers. By casting shadows on the Astros’ World Series victory, he did so upon his own championship memories. But likely, his memories were already tainted. Sure he never actually played in that postseason, but he was a major part of the season, leading the team in innings pitched with 153⅓. If not for the cheating, he would have rightly earned his ring.

Perhaps Fiers wasn’t initially planning to go public. He probably wrestled with the idea for a while, given that in the intervening two years he revealed the news to the Tigers and the A’s, but not the public. However the Astros, in their seemingly infinite hubris, seemed to have used the cheating on Fiers himself. Maybe that pushed him over the edge. I still remember the game, September 9, 2019.

Mike Fiers came into that game with a sterling 14-3 record, and a 3.51 ERA. He was on a big-time roll of eerily consistent and solid starts. But Fiers allowed five home runs in one inning (plus three batters into the 2nd). That felt absolutely insane. Sure, Fiers is prone to serving ‘em up from time to time, but that’s uncanny.

The A’s were probably not going to win that game regardless with Fiers going up against the Houston lineup and Zack Greinke. However, the five home runs were beyond absurd. The A’s had first reported the sign stealing in October 2018, and started going to ridiculous lengths to change signs for the rest of that series (which they ended up winning, three games to one).

To be clear, Fiers never publicly pointed at that start as a reason to come forward. I just personally believe that day, the day they let him know that he was not their brother, that they would go so far as to cheat in order to ruin the beautiful season he was having … that may have been the final thing he needed to convince himself that there is no honor among thieves. And he did the honorable thing, though it cost him dearly in the eyes of many players.

I’m sure A’s players, who love Fiers just as dearly, did not enjoy the Astros calling him a “punk-ass b****” among other things. Stephen Piscotty recently said, “You can obviously tell he cares about others. He was kind of frustrated to see young rookies get called up, get put in that situation [getting their signs stolen and having poor outings] and get sent down the next day. It’s just not right. I think we all applaud him for standing up for what is right. He’s a great teammate, we love him here and we’re very grateful for what he did.”

The A’s of course, after two consecutive seasons of falling short to the Astros, feel like they were robbed of the AL West division. They might have a case. In 2019, if half of the 11 losses to the Astros turned into wins, the teams would have finished with identical 102-60 records. In 2018, if half of the 12 losses were wins, the teams would have finished with identical 103-59 records.

My gut says that without the cheating, the Astros were still the better team and I don’t know if the A’s would have won the division (which leads to the question, with that much talent, why bother cheating?), but at the very least, it’s clear that Oakland was robbed of the chance to compete fairly for the division title. And the head-to-head record of course doesn’t take into account other Houston wins against other teams that might have turned on knowing what pitch is coming.

The bottom line is the A’s players believe they were robbed after getting stuck in the one-game Wild Card following back-to-back 97 win seasons. And that’s good enough to stoke the flames of the hate that brings heat to this matchup. They set out as a goal to take the division from the suddenly video-less Astros, and they accomplished that. The fact that they get the opportunity to score one for all of baseball by ending their season has them salivating. We know some of that mini-erupted into the brawl (lite) earlier this year after the Astros plunked the A’s five times (wtf), but it’s nice to recap the shade.

Sean Manaea, July 2020: “I really don’t have much respect for any of those guys”

Ramon Laureano, on Astros’ hitting coach Alex Cintron (August 2020): “I regret charging him because he’s a loser”

Liam Hendriks, after beating the White Sox: “There’s a little bit of it going on there, that we want to make sure that they know what they’ve done and we can prove it to [the outspoken Carlos Correa] and make sure they lost to the top team in the A.L. West.”

And, just for kicks, we’ll throw in this one from Vallejo’s own C.C. Sabathia from Friday. As one of the league’s elder statesmen and not directly facing the Astros this week, he had a lot more leeway to speak his mind:

“They cheated and then they’re mad at us. Like get the f--- out of here,” he said. “It’s a f---ing joke. And then you finish under .500 this year. Like, shut the f--- up ... The kid’s a clown, I’m sorry.”

“[Dusty Baker’s] like a big uncle, like that’s my guy. So for him to be managing, I’m happy that he was able to win another playoff series. Shows how great of a manager he is. But man, f--- them dudes, man.”

I love, love, love the disrespectful quotes. How often do players go on record with stuff like this?

I’m glad that Carlos Correa stoked the flames again, just in case people outside of the A’s clubhouse had mostly forgotten about their cheating ways, with his “U mad, bro?” act. “I know a lot of people are mad. I know a lot of people don’t want to see us here. But what are they going to say now?,” he said after beating the Twins.

After knocking on the division door twice, the third time was the charm for the A’s. They’re 7-3 this year against the Astros (7-0 in full-length games) and know they can beat these guys. And rather than just be the team that’s “happy to be here” looking up at the “elite” “World Champion and defending AL Champion” Astros, they know they belong and they’re out for blood.

With everything that’s happened since last offseason, and having been deprived as fans from being able to let the Asterisks know how we feel, it’s a rare, beautiful twist of fate that we get this no-love-lost grudge match for all the marbles in the West. Bring on the Astros.

Joshfast, King1, GradyMcTracy and 3 others like this.
  6. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Man, this is the most excited I've been for a game this season. Got a good feeling about this week

Let's go 'stros

King1, RKREBORN, Rock Block and 5 others like this.
  7. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Love it. Statistically, they only have the better bullpen. Everything else is very close. There’s no reason Houston can’t win this series if they hit a little and the relievers aren’t putrid.

GradyMcTracy and RayRay10 like this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

nah. the stros were the #2 seed vs Cleveland in the ALDS as slight favorites, then played the #4 seed NY in the ALCS.

'17 WS vs Dodgers Odds:
    Dodgers: 4/5
    Astros: 5/4

GradyMcTracy, RayRay10 and TWS1986 like this.
  9. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

So they pretty much say the Astros were cheating in 2019 and that cost them a chance at the division last year. Garbage.

10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Was just thinking that I’m pretty damn nervous. First time all season.

I’ve just kind of sat back and let this season play out without great expectations. With the first series win, and playing the A’s it’s ramped up my emotions.

Would love to see this team make a deep run after all the issues they’ve had this year. One game at a time though.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm hoping to see Altuve get some redemption this series. It would be great to see him hit a few out of the park.

Of course if he does you'll hear that a sensor was implanted in him that his wired to his neurons telling him what pitches where coming up and that he's really a cyborg.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

13. SuraGotMadHops

So much ridiculousness in all of this, both the quotes and story. Painting Fiers as if he struggled internally about whether to blow the whistle. Fiers didn't think about this, he's a moron that blabbed to a vindictive reporter that had an agenda against Luhnow. He probably spoke about it casually, I think he had zero idea what was about to happen next.

Now the A's, angry that we took the division from them when they kept failing in the WC game. Maybe direct some of that anger towards the NYY who got busted using a centerfield camera is that SAME WILD CARD GAME???

Sabathia is an ass, the dude played with PED users, and played for a franchise that is pushing to keep a letter sealed that covers up their own sins.

One thing in common with all of these people that cry foul, is that they are sad sacks looking for something to dry their tears with. All those Dodgers like Bellinger and Jansen that performed terribly in the WS grab on to it to excuse their own failures, Sabathia got bounced by us three times. Tyler Bauer getting lit up (who we smoked in 2018 playoffs - we were exonerated by that point), A's always looked up to us in the standings and have to come up with an excuse as to why. You never see a guy or a team that wasn't losers complain. The Nats never said anything, nobody that is a direct victim of our dominance has anything to say, because they don't need an excuse.

Facts just don't matter anymore.

King1, Handles, cmlmel77 and 3 others like this.
  14. awc713

awc713 Member

I have a bet going with my father-in-law, who grew up in the Bay Area...cmon ‘Stros.

OAK always plays us well, and they’ll have home field advantage with MLB letting in 11k fans (and of course locating our game in LA...).

I’m cautiously optimistic that we’ll answer the bell and win a hard-fought series. I wonder if we use LMJ in the bullpen at all after his start tonight.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Yeah, I didnt care too much for it, as it was written pretty one-sided.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. donkeypunch

Loser leaves the family forever?

awc713 and RayRay10 like this.
  17. donkeypunch

18. conquistador#11

What I liked the most knowing what we know now was that Red Sox series. The comments with a smirk that Alex Cora said about 'I know what goes on there." jokingly. Then, the Stros knew that the Red Sox were doing something so they send someone to sit in the stands looking for something fishy. But both teams' higher ups didn't throw each other to the fire. And what I still don't get is how do NYY fans think their team wasn't involved when everything points to them being involved in cheating

SuraGotMadHops and RayRay10 like this.
  19. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Nope, no fans this round, or next round in the AL. Only time fans will be allowed is in the NLCS and the World Series, both in Arlington.

King1, awc713 and phasors28 like this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Post game news conference: So how does it feel to be the worst pitcher to give up a homer to Bregman on October 5th?
    Bassitt: [inarticulate grunting] hE tOoK oUr sIGnS!

RayRay10 likes this.