1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ty Lue to meet with Rockets Brass in Vegas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Right now there are a number of really strong assistant coaches around the league getting consideration.

saleem, D-rock, Deuce and 2 others like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he would fit the pelicans

3. rockets13champs

Dantoni on pelicans would be so fun since everyone is still in developmental mode his system would be great in opening up BI, Lonzo, and Zions games. Once all those young kids find their niche and enter their prime then u hire a more balanced coach

saleem likes this.
  4. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Brass bc he can’t afford gold.

BigShasta and Jontro like this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Guessing Lue wanted too much money. I like Lucas but this seems like a cost saving move.

Pringles, Rudyc281 and Deuce like this.
  6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It's really an interesting choice. Let's get beyond the "cost cutting, Tilman is cheap" comments. What exactly does John Lucas bring to the table? We know he is a good mentor since he has helped a ton of NBA players. It's possible since he has helped a ton of NBA players that he also would be good at "establishing a culture". What about the X's and O's and adjustments? Any insight on any previous coaching stints that he has had?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

It's nothing beyond cost cutting and James and Russ being friends with him. He hasn't coached since the early aughts. He works with players around the league on mental health and substance abuse issues. He truly is one of the most important figures in the NBA and I think this is a terrible hire. It A) takes him away from a greater calling B) This is equivalent to hiring Steve Nash and having Kyrie claim there is no coach.

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I would think we could hire a more relevant X and O's assistant coach if this is the plan?

Dacamel likes this.
  9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

It's less about cost for me (as a primary issue) in the long run. Hiring him clearly is a cost cutting move but there are worse things at bay than that. Other coaches would take a small amount of money to get the opportunity. This is a cost cutting move but it's worse than that.

It's more about his value as a mentor to non-Rocket players. He's a much better man and mentor than he ever will be as a coach, even if he wins a championship here. I'm honestly shocked Lucas even wants this job. He's found a calling and now he wants this? Tilman will have found a new low as owner in my view.

If Lucas takes this job then I will have a new perception of him. This is equivalent to Jose Andres going to work solely for a billionaire and abandoning his non-profit endeavors. Yea, get your money, but I'm going to see you differently.

#69 treyk3, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Well, here is a snippet regarding his coaching approach from an interview:

https://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2015/03/28/nba-lucas-spurs-addiction

Appears to be a culture guy. Probably bringing some strong assistants with him for offense and defense if they truly plan to make him the head coach.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Everyone screaming for more discipline and in game adjustments should run for the hills if Lucas hired as HC.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Already should now that Harden and Westbrook run the team. It's going to take some kind of special coach to turn this into chicken salad.

saleem and D-rock like this.
  13. rockets13champs

14. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Lmao! When it comes to Houston sports signing everything is always getting rescheduled and pushed back. Man we talking about a interview smh...

Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

That's another week that Tilly does not have to shell out HC salary.

He will milk this search like cheapass chump that he is.

Dacamel likes this.
  16. BigBum

BigBum Member

Ty Lue is a good coach.

What is the reason he cancelled the interview on Sunday?

What is the reason he did not interview Morey first?

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I'll take it a step further. if harden/rus won't buy in to Atkinson, lue, or Silas... if they propose its either Lucas or we go. I'd question their desire to win and be open to moving them. if they're serious about championship goals, you need a top notch coach. if they're not up for that I'm ok starting the rebuild.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Harden and Westbrook did not demand Lucas as far as I know. Both think highly of Lucas as he is a very strong role model and a really good man that does know basketball well.

Atkinson is a concern for a few reasons. First, he lost the support of his star point guard in Brooklyn. The veterans didn’t want to do things the way the coach did. The team wouldn’t trade Irving so Atkinson left. Second, Atkinson will incorporate analytics and gladly meet with the front office and discuss things; but Atkinson plays who he wants, how much he wants and he decides what to focus on and what the team culture will be. If Morey or Tilman interfere, Atkinson will balk and then leave or force them to fire him. Last, Atkinson wants to pick his staff.

Rudyc281, D-rock and Lawlruschang like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think this is more fan projection than reality.

Harden is not unreasonable nor irrational. Same with Westbrook.

smoothie and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

A Concern? Sounds like he's his own man, strong coach, one that I might want!

Kyrie? LOL :rolleyes:

saleem likes this.