1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Vanterpool to interview for the Rockets HC Job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

If you can get a GM to have the same mindset Iggy has about Eric Gordon then Gordon is more than a piece of junk to trade for lol.

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

sounded like Shitte’s creek and Tilman is Johnny Rose.

D-rock, Hank McDowell and Nook like this.
  3. Theking

Theking Member

Mike Jones

Jontro and bj3175 like this.
  4. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i hate tillman with a passion. this cheap mofo has ruined any chance we ever had at a title.

daywalker02 and D-rock like this.
  5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Well. That’s not very exciting...

Jontro and saleem like this.
  6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

so, there are different types of coaches and Vanterpool isn't one that we need.

the defensive coach - stating the obvious but this one excels on one end of the floor
    the offensive coach - obvious again, this one has a talent for running the other side of the floor
    the strategist - this one finds an advantage, makes in game adjustments, calls timely timeouts, knows who to sub and when
    the player development coach - builds players into better players
    the leader - this one motivates, earns respect, builds relationships

we don't need a development coach because we don't have a lot (or any) young projects on the team. we're totally win now mode. guys who the rockets are looking at who are known for player development: Atkinson, Cassell.

we don't need an offensive coach because the offense is preordained by morey and harden. Morey doesn't appear to be interviewing any offensive coaches unless finch or gentry get a call.

we don't need a leader. maybe somewhat controversial to say but we don't. our vets are locked into the championship goal. they're willing to work hard and play hard. PJ plays to win every night. rus plays hard every night. James has become much more consistent with his energy and effort. roco brings it every night. we don't need a coach who's best quality is earning respect and building relationships. that's why doc would've been a bad choice and that's where David Vanterpool fits in. great leadership skills. not what we need most. not unless he brings defense or strategy. but what's what the interview will find out.

what we need is either a defensive coach, or a strategist who can take morey's iso ball and switch everything D and just make the right rotations, make the right subs, timeouts, figure out how to adjust to what the other team is throwing at you.

So where do the coaches Morey's interview fall into these skillsets?:

Defensive: JVG, Atkinson, Silas, Unseld
    Offensive: Silas, Atkinson
    strategist: JVG, Lue, Atkinson
    Development: Cassell, Atkinson
    Leader: JVG, Silas, Lue, Cassell, Vanterpool

some of the assistant coaches could surprise in the interviews by showing they belong in more of those categories. but based on what we know here's the totals:

4/5: Atkinson - has all the tools but can he earn the respect of the superstars. superstar management will be key to being able to hold James/rus accountable.
    3/5: JVG - Defense and strategy is there. leadership and respect is there. fills the holes we need filled since the offense is taken care of.
    3/5: Silas - got his defense from his dad, Clifford, and Carlisle. got the offense from nelson and Carlisle. known also for leadership qualities. can he prove himself as a strategist in the interviews? that would be a make or break skillset for us.
    2/5 Lue - known for game management and superstar management. would need a defensive assistant. extra bonus for the championship experience. would he buy in fully to morey's system? he's no pushover as he turned down the lakers offer since the wouldn't let him pick his own assistants.
    2/5 cassell - excels at the two things we don't really need. leadership and development.
    1/5 Vanterpool - we're gonna need more than leadership. hasn't shown chops as a strategist or defensive coach.
    1/5 Unseld - known as a defensive coach but his head coach is also known as a defensive coach so not sure how much credit he can take there either.r

overall I really like Atkinson the more I research his offense and defense with the nets. JVG and lue have flaws but fit our need so well. sort of the coaching versions of PJ tucker, comes with limitations but a perfect fit. Silas has a super high ceiling on both ends of the court and in the locker room but he's gonna have to prove he's got the game management part down since that's our biggest need (and the reason we fired MDA).

when it comes down to it I think lue probably takes the clippers job if offered, and probably will be offered. JVG probably stays in the booth. his name is always mentions for every coaching vacancy and he never even interviews. never shown any indication he's looking to coach again. I don't think we can go wrong between Atkinson or Silas. Atkinson is a little more proven as a HC but Silas might be better at garnering the respect of the superstars.

saleem, Deuce and Dacamel like this.
  7. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The Last Black Coach was Don Chaney since 1992 I believe.

Sam Jones of the 1980s Celtics was the Championship Dynasty Black Coach.

With 3 Championships with Larry Bird , Kevin McHale, Robert Parrish, D.J

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

JBB

saleem, Dacamel and rockets1995 like this.
  9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I think Rudy Tomjanovich or Steve Patterson should pick the Coach. Its sad they are not in the Front Office. Daryl seems too arrogant to not listen to Former Coaches or Player to learn more.

I trust Rudy in hiring a Coach instead of Daryl one mind Analytics.

Jeff Van Gundy

Rick Adelman - I still miss him, develops younger players

Kevin McHale
    JB Bickerstaff
    Mike Dantoni

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Quite frankly, maybe the Rockets need a little bit of that. Not a ton where there is too much friction, but perhaps a little different thinking to add to the mix.

saleem likes this.
  11. BigBum

BigBum Member

Vanterpool could take the team to lottery pool.

I can’t believe it.

Internet says Covington could be traded to save luxury tax.

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He is clearly the best option to me and will probably end up being the best coach hired this offseason regardless of where he is. OKC, Indiana, New Orleans or Houston.

He made Boogie and AD coexist. He unlocked Jokic. He appreciates the idea of team work and ball movement. He seems to be a true elite coaching prospect.

Deuce likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Morey is a lot of things but he is not stupid.

Rockets gave up Capela and a FRP for Covington, absolutely foolish to trade him after half a season.

Plus Covington is one of the keys to switch everything as well as 5 out.

And Morey has been trying to re-acquire Covington for years, your hypothesis makes no sense.

Deckard likes this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I can't see Morey trading him. House and/or Gordon? Sure.

D-rock and saleem like this.