1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ty Lue to meet with Rockets Brass in Vegas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

The fear that comes with Atkinson is that he's a good coach without the respect of the NBA yet because he hasn't been given a real chance to be a great. It was in process in Brooklyn until the arrogance of star players that wanted privilege destroyed it. He would be a good hire just hope he doesn't get screwed by the league.

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Good... he may not even deserve 5 minutes honestly.

clos4life, D-rock and YallMean like this.
  3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

This is actually a great... great sleeper hire. I wanted him hired when we hired Dantoni.

xtruroyaltyx and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

A question that probably needs to be asked, but are these "big name" coaches like Lue, Rivers, and JVG going to go with the 3's and layups offense? If not, how are they even in the discussion?

D-rock likes this.
  5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

My hope is we get JVG a young upncomer to run the offense - 3s and layups with some periodic adjustments... and JVG drives the defense - and overall accountability and morale...

our offense is pretty much preordained... just get somebody for in game adjustments... and let the asst run the offense - like Bzdelik ran the defense for MDA...

that'd be my preference...

smoothie likes this.
  7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Lue won a championship his first season, then made back to back NBA finals. He went 0-6 and got fired after LeBron left and the Cavs roster was decimated. Lue right now is unproven given that you could argue LeBron just carried him. I would not mind taking a flyer on him.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Interesting fact about Tyronn Lue, not only is he a former Rockets Legend, but he is from Raytown, Missouri

Raytown was the nominal home of 80s sitcom/Carol Burnett spin-off "Mama's Family", though it was never confirmed as part of the show's canon that it was Raytown, Missouri, it was certainly implied to be a southern/midwestern town.

9. Nook

Nook Member

No coach is perfect but Lue is a better coach than Rivers and most coaches in the league for one reason, he knows how to make critical adjustments when needed under pressure. The adjustments he made in the Finals against the 73-9 Warriors were exceptional. He has had some health issues and at times his teams seem undisciplined but his intelligence and aptitude for basketball is elite.

I would have concerns about Lue’s discipline and structure during the regular season as he isn’t regimented. I question how good the relationship between Lue and Morey would be because Lue only does it his way... however I can say this, Lue would have made adjustments in the Thunder and Lakers series.

joshuaao, Deuce, malakas and 3 others like this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If Sam does not get the HC job . . .I hope he comes with

Rocket River

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

the worst hire possible so that probably means he will be the choice.

cmoak1982 and CK Johnson like this.
  12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

most people's argument against lue is that lebron carried him to the championship and 2 other finals. I mean show me a coach who won a championship without a great player "carrying" them lol

• Phil: Jordan kobe and Shaq carried him to every championship. never won without the best player in the league.
    • pop: Duncan carried him for for all 5 championships. needed the best PF of all time and 2 other HOFers to win.
    • Riley: needed 2 of the top 5 players in history to win with the lakers. couldn't win in NY without an all time great. Miami would've won with SVG but Riley stepped in to take credit.
    • spo: would be nothing if he didn't have 3 of the top 5 players in the league for 4 years.
    • nurse: only won because of a lucky shot by kawhi against the Sixers and because the warriors were injured.
    • kerr: carried by 3-4 HOFers. had the 2 best players in the league. when he missed games for his back Walton did just as well. anyone could win with that team.
    • rudy t: carried by hakeem

BHannes2BHonest, Deuce and D-rock like this.
  13. Newlin

Newlin Member

As long as the new coach isn’t one of Tilman’s kids, I really don’t care who they select.

D-rock and kjayp like this.
  14. pass_to_Hakeem

At least we have Vanterpool ‍♂️

smoothie likes this.
  15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

What can he do?

16. HardenVolumeOne

especially if we suprise people with the best record in the west. Harden might be able to steal one more mvp( he really deserves 3). I also like stephen silas and becky hammon. Becky being a woman in a pro woke league. ESPN and FS1 would be forced to give us good press

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Curious why neither Lue or Sam could get Doc to adjust vs. Nuggets.

Seriously wondering.

18. sungjina

sungjina Member

Don't know how much coaching Ty Lue actually did for the Cavs. Seems everytime the camera panned over it was either Lebron yelling at him or Lebron calling his own play lol

bballjunkie, Newlin and Jontro like this.
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Actually, I think it was Lue that throttled Lebron to a certain extent. He told him to shut the hell up in the huddle and let him coach and held him accountable during film sessions. When it was Blatt coaching, Lebron tried to basically take over the team. lol. This is the story that originally broke that, I think : https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...tyronn-lue-has-created-a-monster-in-cleveland

Didn't he have some issues related to stress or something on the sidelines with Cleiveland? That's my big issue with Tyronn. That and I don't know what his offense is. The other thing is the same as my issue with any big name coach -- does the organizations love for 3's and layups supersede what the coach wants to do? I doubt most old school coaches will do well if that's the case. It's the younger generation that seems to be willing to adapt to that although Budenholzer also is running some variant of that, I think. It's also why I like a Silas type. Dallas jacks up the 2nd-most 3's as a percentage of total shots. Atkinson's Nets also did it at a high clip from what I recall.

Deuce and Nook like this.
  20. CALI_MOST_WANTD

Hard pass on Ty Lue

arabrocket likes this.