1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Doc Rivers anyone ???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by madbomber, Sep 28, 2020.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Just like the article stated though, a coach's job is to put his team in a position to win. Doc's fumbling of the rotation almost got them eliminated in the 1st round against the Mavericks let alone the Nuggets. Do I put the blame squarely on Doc for the Clippers' failures? Nope. Leonard confirmed what we all made fun of him for being--a robot. He can go out there and be the most efficient player on both sides of the court but the intangible skill of leadership is what you can't program. That was probably something Doc and the Clips couldn't see coming when they got him in a Clipper uniform. But a big part of success with coaches who have won rings is there ability to manage their superstars' egos. They know when to push or pull or just stay out of it. I don't think Rivers is as good at that as many think he is.

FrontRunner, D-rock, topfive and 3 others like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don’t see Doc buying into this Moreyball philosophy like MDA did

Are we gonna ease up on this only threes and layups dogma and let Doc Rivers run whatever he wanted?

D-rock likes this.
  3. steddinotayto

See that's the question I have that no one seems to have an answer for--what IS Doc's system? If the answer to that question is "Well that's where you hire an assistant like Gentry to run your offense" then...why don't we just hire Gentry?

D-rock and FrontRunner like this.
  4. rocketseagles07

This. Also there's been a lot of, "he's not good enough for us" mentality going around. I mean, I don't know if the rockets coaching job, with our age and cap situation is the most appealing job in the world right now.

Edit: and I forgot the worst part.. Tilman

treyk3 likes this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I’d prefer that too. Silas, Joerger, Atkinson, Finch Unseld or Udoka sound great if Doc isn’t a hire. I think we will both end up unhappy. It’s not going to be Doc or some young surprise. It’s going to be JVG or Cassell. Big name, lower demand, lower cost.

HP3 and Reeko like this.
  6. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

I don't get the desire of Cassell. I really, really don't. Oh he started his playing career with Houston?! I really don't see what he's done to prove he can be a successful head coach. Guys like him, Elie and Ewing were assistants for a LONG time without getting a shot at the top (until Ewing finally got a look for Georgetown).

Maybe they're just destined to be assistants? At this rate just take the shot on Finch. Morey's a degenerate gambler anyway, so what does he have to lose?

If it busts then blow the team up.

HP3 and treyk3 like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

other than PnR and ISO, I couldn’t really tell u because I haven’t seen much more than that...I do know it’s definitely not, and I could never see it being, ignore the midrange and shoot 50 threes by any means necessary with mediocre shooters

I can’t see many established coaches allowing Morey to dictate what they do...MDA was the exception

Doc doesn’t really seem to value the 3 point shot

this year, the Clippers were 16th in attempts while being 6th in percentage

last year, they were 28th in attempts even tho they were 2nd in percentage

Can anyone see him going from that to 1st in attempts, and below average in percentage?

D-rock likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

I just want to see us hire an up and comer who might become the next big thing...it could be a huge fail, but with Doc and other retreads like JVG, u already know what you’re getting

if Morey is as good as everyone always claims, he should be more equipped than most other GMs to identify that person

I think Tilman will be drawn to the big name candidates

9. steddinotayto

I don't think people are advocating for Cassell just because of his time as a player in Houston. The guy was a very smart player and maximized his time in the NBA through having a high basketball IQ. Unlike other players who went on to coach, Sam's been on both sides of the player spectrum--He was an underdog rookie, worked his way to being an All-Star and then used his last few seasons in the league to mentor the young guys. That, to me, tells me that he can relate to ALL of our players and not just either the superstars or the role players. As for Xs and Os, I truthfully can't tell you what kind of system he would want to run or what he's good at but the guy was a finalist the last time Morey searched for a coach in 2016 so there's gotta be some substance there right?

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

of the potential up and comers, I could see Tilman being drawn to Becky Hammon because of the buzz that would generate...the 1st female head coach in the NBA would be a historic thing, and if she ends up succeeding :eek:

I see him dismissing most of the others

let Morey go up to him and recommend someone like Silas

Tilman: Simon? Who’s that? Foh. Go set up another meeting with Ty Lue.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Wise words.

Deckard likes this.
  12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I can envision Harden as pierce. Gordon as Allen. Westbrook as Rondo. I can even see Doc as coach in Houston.

What I can’t fathom is who is gonna be KG? And since that question seems impossible to answer, I’ll pass on Doc.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Damage was done by Tilman Fertitta. Period. End stop.

Tilly has a rep of lowballing coaches after way he treated MDA and trying to win as cheaply as possible.

Mr. LTS.

saleem and treyk3 like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rest of the Clippers player also did not like the different/special treatment that Kawhi and PG13 received from Doc and Clips organization.

That Doc was oblivious to this or if not was unable to correct this issue before postseason is telling as to kind of leadership he brings to organization.

This same infighting was prevalent on his Celts and previous Clips (CP3-Griffin-DJ) teams.

saleem and steddinotayto like this.
  15. steddinotayto

This should also be another reason to look elsewhere. Like giving preferential treatment to star players in the NBA is a given but if you can't corral and communicate to your other players (the ones that stuck with you and won for you the year before when you didn't have any stars) is definitely a slap in the face.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Rocketsfan3422

He's black

17. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

18. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Hey at least Rivers to Philly puts an end to these silly Harden rumors.

D-rock, saleem and baller4life315 like this.
  19. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

poor MDA if doc to philly

D-rock and baller4life315 like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Still Pacers and Pelicans.

MDA will get paid.

Da Wink likes this.