1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Doc Rivers anyone ???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by madbomber, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Ultra Hard Pass. What is his system? What does he do well? Why couldn't he get a super talented team past the Nuggets?

FrontRunner and D-rock like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Take this with grain of salt because Rusillo is a jackwad.

But if true, Doc could not read tea leaves even with team falling apart around him. And we heard rumblings of this since beginning of this past season when Trez went off the rails and started attacking coaching and his star players.

Many pundits predicted Trez would be a goner because of chemistry issues but Harrell was a Doc favorite and protected.

FrontRunner and saleem like this.
  3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

hasn't coached an NBA season in 13 years. I stand corrected. And JVG did an amazing job with Team USA as he always does. There are differences between those tournaments and a 4 year grind. My take on him is this:

1. great tactician. he's almost always prepared with the right strategy, and if not he adjusts quickly throughout the game.
    2. Smart defensively, although his pack-the-paint style is a bit outdated.
    3. slow methodical PnR/post up offense had little to no movement.
    4. great at forming relationships with players and earning the trust needed to hold stars accountable.

now he hasn't coached in the NBA in a while, but he's been front row for hundreds of games as an analyst. In that time what has he learned? How has his philosophy changed? What new offense or defense has he picked up from watching New coaches who are killing it like Kerr, Spo, Nurse, etc... That can only be found by interviewing him. If he's updated his philosophy along the way I'd consider him much higher. If his 13 years off have rendered his strategies out dated, then he's not worth the price it would take to bring him back. definitely worth interviewing!

4. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

I’d put Doc in our front office. I don’t know about coaching though.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

Why? He was sh*t when he had front office duties with the Clippers.

saleem, Deuce, topfive and 2 others like this.
  6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Doc Rivers is number one on my list for us to hire now... nobody else is better.

treyk3 and Fulgore like this.
  7. bratna8

bratna8 Member

8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

No one wants the Rockets job except JVG. It's like 2016 all over again.

Anyone who comes and coaches for this team was passed over in Philadelphia. That team has done nothing to prove they are better than the Rockets, yet for some reason, it's the more attractive job. Just like Orlando and Minnesota in 2016.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

You can't change an organization's culture without a good owner who walks to the walk when he says he'll win at all costs.

waytookrzy079, saleem and treyk3 like this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

And then leaves roster decisions to his more qualified front office personnel.

11. steddinotayto

Absolutely.

Mickey Arison
    Peter Holt
    Wyc Grousbeck
    Joe Lacob
    Larry Tanenbaum

These guys either own their franchise outright or is a majority owner, you barely hear a peep out of them and their teams have won 11 out of the past 15 championships. They've hired Pat Riley, RC Buford, Danny Ainge, Bob Meyers and Masai Ujiri to run their teams and said "I'll give you the resources; you run the show".

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

How can you trust this guy? I just did some research and he's not even a real doctor!!!

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don’t want Rivers as our coach, to be clear, but I don’t see why Doc interviewing for the Philadelphia job means anything about the job in Houston. I also don’t understand why you would say, “No one wants the Rockets job except JVG.” Based on what? How many available NBA head coaching jobs, and for a contending team, do you think are out there? We have no idea what’s going on behind the scenes, and based on past history, we won’t hear a lot from Morey. I think there will be enormous interest in Houston.

I’m far more concerned about Fertitta injecting himself into the coaching search, like he did with the Westbrook deal. Daryl Morey, in my opinion, will be as worried about dealing with the owner during this process as he will be deciding who would be the best hire, and if he can get him or her. On top of that, whether Fertitta will pony up the contract it’ll take to close the deal. My guess is that Morey, despite the public comments about Mike D’Antoni, has been thinking about who would be a good replacement for a long time.

D-rock and topfive like this.
  14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

It's 2016 all over again.

Vogel wouldn't interview with us because the Magic job was "more attractive"
    Thibs with the Timberwolves. JVG wanted Houston. Les wanted MDA. Morey tried to get Silas as a consolation.

Doc will take this job if it's offered (76ers). Lue will take the 76ers or the Clippers job if they are offered. We get the left overs. I don't think it's the end of the world. I like both as coaches but would be perfectly content with a more out there hire. It's the reputation of the team that worries me.

Listen to every single "insider" speak about open jobs. I don't watch ESPN but decided to go on a YouTube deep dive yesterday to see what talking heads had to say.

The 76ers, Clippers and Pelicans jobs are all constantly called the most attractive on the markets. Vince Carter called OKC more attractive than Houston. Vince Carter isn't some evil force out to hurt our reputation. I truly believe coaching Harden and Westbrook should be a challenge every coach should want. They are two all time greats who haven't won.

Houston wasn't even mentioned by Woj as a good job opening when he was reporting yesterday. Woj, who is not a pot stirrer, doesn't see Houston as an attractive situation. Stephen A Smith said that Houston had so much damage done by MDA that Doc should avoid the job. Stephen A Smith is a friend of Tilman and that's what he has to say about the franchise.

. I personally believe Morey has let the NBA insiders know he's unhappy here regardless of what he says publicly and Houston isn't going to be respected as an organization any time soon.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

people keep saying Doc holds players accountable

How come the Clippers locker room was an absolute mess year after year?

people keep saying Doc is good at adjustments

How come he’s blown 3 3-1 leads?

Clippers had some of the most talented teams in the league year in and year out, and he never made a conference finals in 7 seasons

to me, his best coaching job was last season...he overachieved with a team full of role players...I’ll also give him credit for going up 3-2 on the 2012 Heat

saleem likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’ll also give him credit for doing things like trusting a young Rondo as the starting PG on that 08 Celtics team and giving Shai a big role from day 1...Rondo developed into an all-star, and Shai was developing nicely as the season went on

MDA probably does neither of those things

Rudyc281 and treyk3 like this.
  17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He's not perfect but he's definitely the most respected coach on the market. Just like LAC has a one year window, the Rockets have a two year window. Sometimes a voice gets stale. Phil Jackson never won without Pippen next to Jordan or Kobe next to Shaq or Pau next to Kobe. He's still an all time great. Spoelstra lost year one with the Heatles. He was almost fired. Coaches can only do so much to put a team over the hump. Pops missed the playoffs last year. He's still the GOAT.

I don't even know that Doc Rivers gets this team over the hump, but one thing is absolutely certain... He's a leading voice in the NBA and if chose this organization as his next coaching spot, it would assuage a lot of fears I have about this organization.

18. steddinotayto

If you have a subscription to the Athletic the article they put out on Doc and Clippers yesterday is worth the read.

My personal take on Doc: He can motivate a team that don't have stars because they all look to him to be the leader. The proof is in the pudding that he gets the most out of teams that don't have a superstar. However, when superstars are entered into the equation he defers to those guys to lead. It's worked before in Boston where KG's bark was equal to his bite and Ray Allen is/was a consummate professional. But when his stars aren't able to rise to the occasion and lead it's been a disaster. Blake Griffin and DeAndre's immaturities clashed with CP3. Leonard's lack of wanting and/or having leadership qualities and PG's past transgressions with Doc's daughter (plus the fact that George really ain't a #1)...

Deckard, Reeko and treyk3 like this.
  19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I read the article and I got a similar vibe but there hasn't been a single NBA Champion that won without their stars rising to the occasion. It's all based on circumstances. Sometimes it just isn't meant to be. Maybe Doc just wasn't ever going to put that team over the hump. The Clippers had a year with this group and Ballmer wasn't convinced he was going to. MDA wasn't putting the Rockets over the hump according to Tilman but other teams were quick to consider him. Sometimes a change of scenery or a new voice is just what is needed, sometimes it's not enough.

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

I guess Doc is the best of the sure things currently out on the market even if he is the master of blowing 3-1 leads

me, I’d rather us do due diligence and identify the next up and comer that is brilliant and could become the next Nick Nurse or Spoelstra

D-rock and treyk3 like this.