1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Doc Rivers anyone ???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by madbomber, Sep 28, 2020.

1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

From that list, Cassell or Silas.

but tilman might see some marketing ability with Cassell so I'd give the edge to sam. I bet tilman thinks he can distract us with nostalgia. "get the fans excited"

tilman might also see the coach as an investment which yields season ticket subscriptions and/or tv ratings. maybe its worth paying for doc or JVG if he thinks they bring enough ROI to justify their salary.

one thing is for sure, its not about basketball. its about profit.

amaru likes this.
  2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

RustyHarden, HTown_TMac and The Cat like this.
  3. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

With Cassel or Lue the next heir apparent to Doc, this is a great plan B after whomever the Clips don't hire. A definite upgrade over MDA no matter what.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

Joerger, Silas or some other even Becky Hammond. I prefer to have a young coach who is acquainted with the modern NBA and can get creative.

5. sungjina

sungjina Member

Hard pass. We've blown enough 4th quarter leads, Doc will do nothing to help us in that department.

D-rock likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

You could say same about Phil Jackson too. Just take away his HOF players and what has he done?

Same with Pops.

Steve Kerr, ditto.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Huge mistake.

8. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Both Lue and Cassell were assistant coaches under Doc this season.

If I'm going there I'll take Doc honestly.

None of these coaches are perfect but he's won a championship and had competitive teams at his different stops.

I think we could use more role players with championship experience as well honestly. Iggy, Rondo and Danny Green all have helped thier team chemistry.

RustyHarden, amaru and Lawlruschang like this.
  9. Rocketsfan3422

He's black... Hire this man...need I say more?

10. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I hope whomever we hire means smallball is dead
    #noreboundsnorings

amaru and Imanimal like this.
  11. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Then be prepared to lose and lose big time while the coach has to learn to do something they have never done before.

amaru and Lawlruschang like this.
  12. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Look I absolutely hate Doc Rivers, buttttt I want him as our next head coach because he is the only one who will stand up to Morey and play his own style of ball and not the gimmick smallball of Morey. Could care less about anything else....just need to end this smallball nightmare that Morey has created. If smallball continues on with Cassell or Hammon, then I am done as a Rockets fan. I have followedthem since 1982 (Reid, McCray, Leavelk, and Lew Lloyd), so I really really really need whomever won’t play pj tucker at center and have Harden doing jumpballs to open games, be the new head coach. Cassell, Hammon, and Silas will do whatever master Morey wants.

houston19519 likes this.
  13. realonemo

realonemo Member

Only if that’s who james wants. I would rather someone who makes adjustments.

amaru likes this.
  14. HP3

HP3 Member

Nick Nurse says hi

15. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Literally just went and watched it. Perfect fit. The way he got Celtics to get those guys to buy into team.

RustyHarden and treyk3 like this.
  16. Caprah

Caprah Member

Yes please say more

17. TimDuncanDonaut

Doc is an OK coach. I don't put him in the elite tier, but he's not incompetent.

He's is somewhat to blame for the Clippers collapse. I also think there's a lot of poli-ticking going on in the Clippers org after not living up to outside expectations.
    • The leakage about Paul George not gelling, with locker room guys 'eye rolling' at him.
    • Trez maybe not returning.
    • Front office hiring Lue as an assistant; was a signal of Clippers top brass having a HC position in the wing. Putting Lue as an assistant for a year, make the transition all the more easy if things didn't work out, which it didn't.
    Some positives:
    • He's a player friendly coach.
    • Players generally respect and listens to him. Good at motivating players.
    • His X/Os and adjustments may be suspect, but some of that may be on the entire staff.
    • He may attract free agents; there are some players, who want to play for him.

As far as Head Coaching for the Rockets, I don't think he's a good fit.
    • One of Doc's positives is he handle egos well, but ego is not much of an issue here at HOU.
    • Adjustments, attention to details, preference to analytics. Doc's not terrible, but not necessary excelling either.
    • It'd be awkward for Austin; who said this in several interviews, he's trying to get out of dad's shadow, even if relationship is professional, there's always going to be outside doubt on a dad's substitution pattern and minutes for his son.
    • How good is he at picking his assistants. Cassell is a gem, but of the Clippers assistants. Did Doc pick the right ones to help implement his system?
    • Money - he's not a terrible, but not sure our owner is going to pony up the money.

#117 TimDuncanDonaut, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    saleem likes this.
  18. amaru

amaru Member

Good point. But Doc has to know he isn’t getting that from Houston. So if he demands that it’s basically him politely turning down the job.

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Doc would have to come with elite assistants.

Gentry on offense, Kalamian on defense and Cassell on the front row.

If Tilman pays for a solid staff I will shut up and listen for the rest of the Harden era.

the11mingdynasty and D-rock like this.
  20. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

He has won a title. I would hardly say he is a choker. Yeah he blew two 3–1 leads. That’s not a career choker though.