1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Doc Rivers anyone ???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by madbomber, Sep 28, 2020.

1. HardenVolumeOne

being better than mda isn’t a shock their are a lot of coaches better than mda. Without harden and Nash what is mda really. His system is just give the ball to an elite floor general and stay out of their way

I would like Stephen Silas personally

2. amaru

amaru Member

I’d like to see Sam come back as a HC but I bet he just became a top candidate for LAC. I wouldn’t mind Silas, I just don’t see Tilman going for it.

steddinotayto likes this.
  3. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I've warmed up to Doc. I don't think he's right for the Rockets, but I expect his sudden availability is going to propel one of these teams without a coach to make a decision that much sooner now.

I could be wrong about every one of these, but right now I'm thinking it goes down something like this...

Doc to Indiana
    MDA to Philly (saw someone tweet out that he's "widely considered" the favorite to take over the Clippers, but I don't think he wants any part of that fan base after his Lakers stint)
    Silas or Lue to LAC
    Lue or Silas to New Orleans
    Joerger to Houston

HP3 and steddinotayto like this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

"He's better than anyone out there right now"

Like, sure if we're comparing him to the retreads that are still out there waiting on a job then yes his resume is better than anyone out there. That being said, one shouldn't be quick to dismiss the glaring fact that he's had MULTIPLE instances where his team should have closed out a series but failed to do so. That's not great coaching--that's a severe lack in preparation, especially when you have more talent than the other coach at your disposal. If it happens once then sure it can be considered as an outlier. But multiple times?? And you want that kind of coach to lead two former MVPs that have each disappeared in the playoffs at one time or another?

I'd rather take a chance on an established assistant coach that might bring in a new wrinkle or two to this team than a coach that was just behind the steering of another 3-1 epic collapse.

#84 steddinotayto, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    FrontRunner likes this.
  5. steddinotayto

I, too, would like to see Sam as the head coach here. What's funny is that most dismiss Cassell because he's never been a head coach before and, yet, he's now could be a front runner for the Clippers coaching position.

amaru likes this.
  6. steddinotayto

Garnett (31 years old that season) was 1st Team All-NBA and was 3rd in MVP voting and won DPOY.

Paul Pierce (30 years old) was 3rd team All-NBA

Ray Allen (32 years old) made the All Star team that year

What "over the hill superstars" are you referring to? Unless you think 30-32 is over the hill in terms of age, then I guess Harden at 31 is past his prime...or you're figuratively speaking that their Big 3 was "over the hill" then you're definitely wrong on that front as well.

justtxyank likes this.
  7. BigBum

BigBum Member

Doc Rivers playoffs record 91-89
    Huge underachieve - only two more wins

Mike D’Antoni Playoffs record 54-56 Total 10 playoffs
    Huge underachieve - losing record

Erik Spoestra playoffs record 83-50 total 9 playoffs

MDA was great at Suns 26-25 winning record
    Suns have 4 all stars
    Nash Amare Marion Joe Johnson

MDA maybe all time great in regular season.
    But he is really the worst in playoffs because he had so many stars.
    This year 5-7 losing record with two MVPs

#87 BigBum, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    raining threes likes this.
  8. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

9. steddinotayto

F8410A76-B3AF-4341-8E42-F88C374C8CBA.gif

ashleyem and sirjesse like this.
  10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

replacing MDA because he doesn't make any adjustments and hiring doc who doesn't make any adjustments lol. literally the only thing we need from a HC is game management since Morey/harden are the offense and switch everything is the defense.

Lue was known for game management before taking over the Cavs. proved himself on the way to the championship. he'd still be my first choice but too many teams want him and tilman can't afford a bidding war.

Griffin is probably my next choice since he runs the raptors defense and has championship experience. however there are some off court issues he's dealing with that could scare an organization away. understandable.

After that- Silas and Hammon would be great. Silas knows small ball from his time with Don Nelson is GS, was the top assistant on the #1 Offense Mavs this year, and knows defense from assisting great defensive coaches like his dad and Steve Clifford. Lots of potential there. Then Hammon for her time assisting pop and he says she has the bball IQ of Kerr and Carlisle. I'd take my chances with either of them!

I'm less interested in Cassell and JVG aside from nostalgia. Cassell is known primarily as a player development coach. he brought SGA along and some other young guys. but he's not known for things we need (game management, defense). and JVG hasn't coached in 15 years I don't think he's coming out of the booth anytime soon.

FWIW in 2016 morey gave second round interviews to Griffin, Silas, and Cassell before hiring MDA at Les' request.

D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  11. steddinotayto

you have to wonder why the Clippers decide to part ways with Doc knowing they still have two years left to pay the guy. Exit interview must have been brutal:

West: so what are we going to do better next year? Do you have any plans you can share with Steve and I?

Ballmer: yea! What do you have in store to get us that ring next year??

Doc:

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

If we hire Doc then that means Tillman opened up the check book.

treyk3 likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

If Doc asks for like a 5/40 deal he might.

Doc will demand to be 1 of the highest paid coaches.

amaru, D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. HP3

HP3 Member

No to Sam Cassel, no to Tye Lue and no to Doc.......yall need to stop playing.

bratna8 likes this.
  15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yeah I think tilman will pass on paying doc's asking price. and JVGs, and probably Lue's.

we could have a great coaching staff if he paid for it. we could have a great team if he paid the tax. probably neither will happen.

16. pass_to_Hakeem

I want JVG City!!!!

17. HP3

HP3 Member

Also what is everyone's obsession with Sam Cassel anyways....do yall think he would be this great coach just cause he has a few rings with the Rockets?

bratna8 likes this.
  18. s3ts

s3ts Member

We look desperate at this point if we're actually interested in Doc.

19. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Tilman will go with the cheap option who Morey can control....welcome back to Houston Mr. Cassell.

20. steddinotayto

I haven’t followed but who are you advocating to be the next coach?