1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Steelers

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 22, 2020.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

they couldn’t run the ball in the first half. The defense wasn’t great in the first half. The bossing game was working... but that was mostly on the strength of a few 15-25 yrs middle of the field plays that were inexplicably open as the Steelers played coverage d, didn’t rush and didn’t cover. In other words it wasn’t great play calling or scheming really. It was one thing the Steelers needed to address inmates halftime. So if you thought going into a halftime Bob was going to make the proper adjustments to “keep it up”, or that the other team, decently well coached wouldn’t adjust, you haven’t been paying attention...

2. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Only 17 plays run on offense the entire second half. Just abysmal.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Yeah I watched the game too bud. I'm simply saying if you weren't encouraged by the first half, then you are just the type of person that is mad no matter what.

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Relax, just a yearly observation.

5. conquistador#11

Steelers playing defense like that was a result of what happens when you dictate the pace of the offense. Why they decided to go back to the patriots morphing ways and morph back to a smash mouth style for the entire 3rd quarter was mind blowing. Steelers were not even threatened by the 'running' game. Just made it so easy for them.

6. JayZ750

no not true.

That’s like saying I should have expected the Rockets to beat the a lakers cause they defeated the OKC Thunder in a tight game 7.

especially since the reality was the opposite. I watched the first half 100% objectively. And objectively, ESPECIALLY knowing what you know about the two coaching staffs, it was pretty clear which staff was likely to make the right adjustments and which was likely to make no adjustments or the wrong ones.

If the scorecard then same but you saw a number of different wrinkles in the offense that made you think “hey they’re actually scheming modern NFL offense out here” I might have thought differently.

pretty much every game I’ve watched now for a few years the first and most important thing I’ve paid attention to is scheming and coaching. I’m not an NFL expert by any means. So instead I watch various other teams - some good and some bad - and it’s not hard to see where faults and strengths lie. Like Mitch Trubisky not being a good QB. Like good coaching scheming good offense which becomes historically good with the right players, etc. like a defense that manages to confuse the opposing QB through different looks, different ways of pressuring, unexpected play calling, etc.

7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You don't even need a great quarterback if you put more money into having a great defense. How many above average cornerbacks have we ever had? I miss the old days when interceptions were common, our defense was a knockout punch waiting to happen, and quarterbacks were scrambling to get that ball off. Ugh. Kubiak was soooo much better than BOB. He made Schaub fun to watch back when our defense was great, before Schaub ruined his foot and confidence.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  8. JayZ750

other than the last scoring drive where click dictated tempo I didn’t think there was a ton of tempo even still. I mean slightly better perhaps.

but generally more of the same offense.

just my two cents.

I absolutely think they wound have a much better offense if they just let DW4 call the plays.

9. astros123

astros123 Member

LOL this is typical Houston moto. We need to be encouraged by the first half? Is this BOB first season as HC as we should be encouraged by a half?Only in Houston do we put up with losing and get encouraged by losing. If this was Philly or New york they would have rioted outside of BOB house for him to resign.

Houston will always be average because of the fans.

10. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

they are already 3 games behind The Titans, who are in that same division he is talking about. So he needs to STFU and admit that he sucks as a coach.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Did the Texans even run any play action passes the whole game?

coachbadlee likes this.
  12. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I just looked at the play by play. Texans run defense was already cracking by the 2nd quarter. Seeing a run-heavy time-killing drive in the 3rd is gonna be a common theme, and the defense being tired due to a ToP battle will be said a lot. BUT this team can't defend the run even before they gas out.

13. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

yeah I used to get mad when the Texans lose, but now I’m just ehh and really don’t mind at all to skip the game. I’ll hear the game on the radio in the background or just look at the scoreboard because it’s just there on the phone.

unfortunately I’m starting to have that same feeling with The Rockets too, which i don’t want to happen because that’s my favorite Houston team but damn with these local teams, it’s just repeat over and over.

bloodwings19 likes this.
  14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

15. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I rode my bicycle (not Spandex) when the game started, but I had my red-white-blue (representing Texas and Texans) color scheme. Priority is more important than watching a poorly managed football team. I came home and watch the end... 4th and 1, who was expecting a stop?!?!? I think BOB was preparing his post-game speech.

16. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I'll join you arm in arm for this- you can punch me in the gut later ;)[/QUOTE]

17. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Best time to fire o brien is now. Let the team figure it out with a new guy and start fresh next year. The longer this goes, you will have guys tuned out by week 5

Houstunna and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Next week we lose by a field goal

Houstunna and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

He’s going to get one more year it sucks.

Houstunna likes this.
  20. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Bill O'Brien: Master of stating the obvious.

I guess he at least recognizes the problem. I try to teach my students problem solving skills and a bunch of them have a hard time even recognizing there is a mistake/problem. Of course, you then have to come up with solutions to fix those problems. Bob isn't quite there yet. So Congrats, Bob! You're at least smarter than (some) 6th graders!