1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The all inclusive potential coach guide (2020-2021)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, Sep 14, 2020.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Who knows? Every coach but Thibs and MDA on the market this year have question marks. We don’t know how good or bad they are.

fckbandwagons, Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  2. lionaire

lionaire Member

If y'all want someone that can light a fire under Harden and hold him accountable then Lue is our guy. Go ahead and read up on the type of relationship him and Bron had and the way he handled pressure situations. Keep in mind that he would've been the coach of the Lakers rn if contract issues didn't get in the way.

Also this quote made me realize how much of a negative effect MDA's constant b*tching towards the officiating likely had on our team:

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Phil Jackson and Steve Kerr rode those officials pretty hard.

But Lue does have that one ring so maybe it did work.

4. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Scott Foster laughing.....

I’m sure confidence wasn’t an issue. Oldest team in the league with the shortest rotation. Just didn’t have physically what the Lakers could bring

raining threes likes this.
  5. bmd

bmd Member

There is no way for us on the outside to have any clue as to how good of a coach any of these candidates are.

The Rockets front office are going to have to talk to people around the league to get an idea about these guys and interview them to make a decision.

You don’t really know much just by looking at a coach’s record. D’Antoni was amazing in Phoenix, sucked in New York and L.A., then was really good again in Houston. Remember how much of a joke people made it when Houston hired D’Antoni? Nobody was laughing after he nearly took down the Warriors. Now he’s a hot commodity again. He was always a good coach. That never changed. But if you look at his time in New York, you’d think he sucks.

My point is, we have no clue how good Ty Lue is. Or Stephen Silas. Or even Kenny Atkinson for that matter. We have no clue if they’d fit with this team or not. That’s for the front office to figure out.

And I’m confident they’ll make a good hire.

joshuaao, jiggyfly, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Dave Joerger? @Nook

You mentioned if you had to bet on the next coach it would be him at this moment in the other thread thought it might be needed here as well.

7. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

I would hire Burt Steele as the next Rockets head coach.

8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He's in the original list.

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Does anybody remember Joerger attending the Rockets' training camp a few times at the start of the season? Was that "normal" protocol? Was he a Fertitta invitee? lol.

D-rock, joshuaao and pippendagimp like this.
  10. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

I remember that. It’s probably normal. I remember Thibs making the rounds, hanging out at other teams’ practices or training camps when he was out of coaching.

Dr of Dunk and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Sacramento being so terrible this year makes Joerger look even better. Although Luke Walton is so, so bad that maybe it shouldn't say too much.

Just looking over Joeger's record in the playoffs, its quite impressive.

His first year he loses in the first round but Memphis is the 7 seed against 2nd seed OKC and they take them to 7 games. They didnt have Zach Randolph for game 7 due to suspension.

Then the next year they come out and play Portland in the 1st round 4/5 matchup. Memphis are the favourite, with 5 more wins in the regular season, but still blast them in 5, winning the first 2 games by 29 points combined. We saw how that Blazers team was no pushover of course, losing to them the year before. Then they go on to round 2 and take the 67 win Warriors to 6 games, which is really impressive.

His last year they get swept in the 1st round by the Spurs after being decimated by injuries. Marc Gasol and Mike Conley are out. Matt Barnes leads all players in minutes played in the playoffs and it's not close. Lance Stephenson is their 2nd leading scorer and 39 year old Vince Carter is their 3rd. Discount that entire series.

joshuaao, Rudyc281, HP3 and 3 others like this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Thibs does not have question marks?

D-rock likes this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this guy gets it.gif

whiskeyred, Rudyc281, HP3 and 3 others like this.
  14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He's not perfect but he is who he is.

The resume speaks for itself. There isn't any questions to his ability. He's coached in multiple situations with multiple teams. He's had varying degree of successes at both and had his share of failures. He is a bit too hard-nosed for 2020 and he over extends his players with practice. He is who he is.

I would consider MDA and Thibs elite level coaches. Championship or not.

I would also have considered George Karl an elite level coach, Rick Adelman and Jerry Sloan. None of them won. They all had faults. They have resumes. Until you have a full resume, you are a question mark. I want a question mark for the Rockets.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

A number of connections between the Rockets and Joerger as well.

Two of the Rockets assistant coaches hand picked by Morey came from Joerger's staff.

Morey also has mentioned Joerger as a very smart coach in the past, and someone that requires extra preparation to play against.

Morey has also in the past said the goal of every team is to find a younger coach to grow roots around. Joerger is only 46.

Rashmon, snowconeman22, amaru and 8 others like this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Good point. At the time, I thought it was kind of odd or tacky to be showing up to a training camp where a coach was looking for a new contract and in a minor contract "dispute".

D-rock likes this.
  17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I sure hope this is true. I'll break down and cry if Alvin Gentry walks through that door. I mention him because I'm afraid "for the sake of continuity" they'll hire him so he can continue some D'Antoni-like offense so Harden and company aren't starting from scratch.

Put some new or fairly new blood in charge. Silas, Finch, Joerger, etc.

Rashmon, D-rock, arno_ed and 2 others like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets do have interest in Rivers, a person with knowledge of the team’s thinking said. They were expecting and likely still plan to begin requesting permission to speak with candidates or scheduling meetings by Wednesday or Thursday. Those candidates are expected to include Tyronn Lue, Jeff Van Gundy, Kenny Atkinson, Wes Unseld Jr., Stephen Silas and possibly Sam Cassell.

– via Jonathan Feigen @ Houston Chronicle

saleem, D-rock, amaru and 4 others like this.
  19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Woj has been on ESPN this morning and every time he speaks he only mentions the 76ers and Pelicans openings for both Doc and Ty Lue (also LAC). He refers to those as the two playoff teams with openings. Is he insinuating the Rockets are no longer a playoff team? Is he insinuating the Rockets don't have an opening? Is he just undervaluing the team?

D-rock and amaru like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets are old news, until they win something. The Rockets give JF what they want floated to the press, and in this case it is that they will be interviewing this group of guys plus some others. As for WOJ, when is comes to Lue, I think he knows that the Rockets are not likely to get him because of money and prestige. LAC has endless money and arguably Leonard and George > Harden and Westbrook, plus the media attention in LA. With the Sixers, they have endless money and a very talented young team. Also the person that used to leak some stuff is no longer in the front office so not sure much is really getting out on what the Rockets are doing from the Rockets end.

D-rock, amaru, yixiixiy and 6 others like this.