1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hello, Aron: The Baynes of Houston's small-ball lineup

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Sep 22, 2020.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I mean, are you wanting to compare 34 year old Baynes with a 31 year old Kevin Love...or the Kevin Love we hope to see before he went to Cleveland? I think most people who want Kevin Love on this team are pining for the old Kevin Love and not recognizing that this current Kevin Love, at his current salary, is not worth the effort. With Baynes you get solid effort on both ends of the floor and he can maybe hit a couple of 3s a night in our offense. With Love you're wanting him to fill that 3rd Best Player role, which Baynes clearly won't/can't do but I'm not sure Love can do any better, offensively, than what Gordon gives you right now.

2. SORF

SORF Member

I seriously doubt that. More likely Becky H. would turn Harden into a better stripper of the basketball. ;)

saleem likes this.
  3. abaker28

abaker28 Member

I'm on board.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I like the idea / player / fit.

One point that needs to be made - Its not likely the Rockets use the NT-MLE.

They are likely taxpayers with they currently have under contract because of a decline in the salary cap due to Covid.
    Most teams will be in similar situations - there may be 2-4 teams that are below the tax line at the start of the league year.

That will really limit the movement of top tier FA's (No cap space to sign them into) as well as the number of NT-MLE's used.
    The vast majority of teams will be using the T-MLE , Rockets included.

5. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

We need another PJ tucker who hustles hard and disrupt these bigs we go up against. Guys who will go for 50/50 balls. If we had an entire team that can match Westbrook’s effort to make up for Harden’s load on the offensive end - he can go back to scoring 40-50 a night. So, Baynes sounds like he could fit the bill. I still want Clint Back... playoff Clint against anyone but the old warriors is a beast against all other centers. He just ran them out of the building. Plus his shot blocking goes up a notch in the playoffs. Do it Morey! Say you’re sorry.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Looks like the guy from Dark Knight.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Danuel turned himself.

8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

So he’s basically PJ Tucker? Played overseas, hopped around ended up on the suns, hustler with a 3 point shot...does he like shoes?

Probably looking to get paid, as is Tucker. Need to find the overseas journeyman hustlers instead. They’re cheaper.

hakeem94 and daywalker02 like this.
  9. psman2

psman2 Member

I agree the depress market could keep his contract lower. However you statement "I also don't think he's going to want to sign for anything longer" is flat out false since any 34 is going to prefer the longest contract he can get.

I also see Phoenix motivated to keep him and several other teams likely wanting him for the same reason you do. After Ibaka likely resigns in Portland he is really the only stretch big that is not a total zero defensively and will likely have many suitors....Maybe Gasol too but he looks to be losing a step too much for my taste. Boogie could also be a target but is high risk.

10. steddinotayto

Phoenix can outspend any team so yes they have an advantage. But all other contending teams will only have variations of the MLE to offer.

I won’t spend more time discussing the length of a contract a 34 year old role player could get because there’s been more historical evidence that players of his age and skill level get shorter contracts (2-3 years) than a longer contract.

11. psman2

psman2 Member

Again I am not arguing against historical contract trends just pointing out your error stating that Baynes himself would prefer the shorter contract.

12. bmd

bmd Member

I’m 100% on board with signing Banes. It’s not an end of small ball. I think it’s unrealistic to play small ball for 48 minutes for an entire season. Plus it helps in the playoffs to be versatile.

Also, Banes can shoot respectably from 3 and is a good defender. He can provide size and strength down low while also having the ability to space the floor.

I think the tools he brings will have a much larger positive impact on the team as a whole than his individual ability would suggest because he’d fill pressing needs.

saleem, Ramo$e and hakeem94 like this.
  13. amaru

amaru Member

I'd like this signing. idk if there is any interest on his part.

Ramo$e likes this.
  14. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

He looks good. Defense is there. Don't know how his passing is but I see Brad Miller likeness to him. Maybe a little more athletic. We got Miller's corpse at the end.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Small ball is a good tool to have in the tool box. They teach you young not to put all you eggs in one basket.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Don't forget......Baynes is the Steph Curry stopper!

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  17. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Banned seems attainable but the guy I want is Kelly Oubre

Ramo$e and D-rock like this.
  18. steddinotayto

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/11/2/21542023/nba-free-agents-preview-offseason-contracts

treyk3 likes this.
  19. hakeemthagreat

20. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

IF the Suns still have any interest at all in Eric Gordon, do a sign and trade for Baynes (3 years, 6-8 million per) and bring back a large TPE.

Then you'll have the 8-10 million TPE and all the exceptions left with a lower cap number.

The key to the entire offseason is what the Rockets are able to do with Gordon.

randerson and fckbandwagons like this.