1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need to rehire luhnow

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Air Langhi, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I can understand the other things Crane did as he was in damage control mode trying to severe past transgressions with current team. Hiring a patsy when the team is still trying to win annoys me especially before he had his GM.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes, but I'm biased so take it with a grain of salt.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I was just thinking this myself. Bowing to the league didn't help things at all, in fact, it made us look more guilty for not standing up for our staff. In hindsight, Crane made very bad choices. Admittedly, it seemed his actions were the right ones at the time though.

But I ask you (anyone) this: How do we stop the bleeding? How is this not going to reinvent itself once fans are at the games again? How many years will we be punished? How can we put an end to all this BS?

As far as more to do, I am sick of us looking like guilty cowards. Bowing and scraping to a league that has let things spiral out of control and does nothing. At this moment in time, I so wish we had a owner with the balls to stand up and not take it anymore.

4. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I’ve thought this from the beginning. Crane needed some balls, kissed the leagues ass instead, and now we are where we are...

raining threes and jim1961 like this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is simple. Listen to Luhnow. Do what you think is right (granted, I'd prefer do what is right) and not care about what others say.

The BS doesn't matter. What the media says doesn't matter. Pretend to be the villain if need be, but be classy and be smart.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

While I agree what the media themselves think doesn't matter, their ability to steer the narrative to their own ends does matter, IMO.

Our image in the minds of fans matter. Look how hard the NYY are fighting that letter in order to save their image? They know it matters too.

As far as doing what one thinks is right, I don't think that is what Crane did and it wasn't smart (in hindsight). He did what others told him to do.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This season?

Are you serious?

Has there been any trades this year?

raining threes likes this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I asked the question because I honestly don't know. I don't follow GM actions/inactions closely.

This season? Sure. Serious? Yes. Trades? No. Despite the climate, Click is the GM and his responsibilities and goals don't change just because we got a f#cked up team in a f#cked up season.

raining threes likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Man some Astros fans are spoiled we just went to world series 2 out of 3 years and now we can't struggle a bit in a abnormal year?

Does anybody follow baseball history?

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you are complaining and don't even have all of the info.

Makes total sense.

How was Click supposed to stop injuries?

Who should have traded and traded for?

What player turns this ****ed up team team around?

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If I had all the info, I wouldn't be asking questions. Yea, does make sense doesn't it?

How is a inquiry a complaint?

All I asked was what has he done. If he has an excuse to do nothing, then what are we paying him for?

#31 jim1961, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  12. Nook

Nook Member

It is really hard to evaluate Click at this point because of the pandemic.

Click did not make any rash trades, but he also knew that Verlander and Osuna were done.

He deserves credit for letting the younger player get experience. He could have panicked and signed journeymen and put Valdez and Javier in mothballs and had Urquidy go to the pen. Instead he has let them pitch and they have done very well. He also held onto Tucker and he has flourished.

He was part of the three sided monster that made all the decisions in Tampa. So the Astros are likely going to be ran how the Rays were ran. He was known as being the least risk adverse of the three and he also believed in spending hard on a single player in the international market as opposed to spreading the money, IF there is a single player that stands out. He also is big on round tabling decisions and has a number of people involved.... so the assistant GM's and staff have a lot of involvement.

Everyone understandably so is concerned about trades and free agent signings, but really Click will sink or swim on his handling of the draft and minor league system. So far his patience with the young pitchers has paid off. He also is willing to go hard at particular prospects in the international draft.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Google is your friend and it takes 2 teams to trade.

Why don't you research if anybody is trading so far this baseball this season, so you cn answer that part of your question.

Also they are paying him for more than making trades.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

What? I didn't ask about trades. I didn't associate anything about Click for not making them. I hate when people like yourself make up things I said and then ridicule me for saying them.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wait what?

You are the one asking what we are paying him for and the only reason I can see is because of no trades.

So why are saying he is doing nothing?

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I said "If he has an excuse to do nothing, then what are we paying him for?" Did you miss the first word?

English must not be your first language. You certainly seem to lack the ability to comprehend what someone said vs not. Just carry on with someone else please. This is maddening having to explain every sentence I say to you.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The previous post was me talking about trades and then you posted this.

So know you want people to believe you were not talking about trades when you said he had an excuse to do nothing?

1st of all who was giving him an excuse to do nothing or insinuating anything of the kind.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I didn't say he had an excuse to do nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have earned a direct deposit to my ignore list.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok.

Bye.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Crane did what he thought was right for him. He can't undo what is done. Trying to mask or fix the problem will only make it worse. If the concern is on the image, not firing Luhnow would have been much worse. What the Astros need to do is make decisions on what makes them a better team moving forward, and not worry about things out of their control. On what Crane did, hiring Baker is the only thing that affects the future play that he can change.

NYY are trying hard not to make this a Yankees, too. My guess is that Yankees letter documents use of the bullpen phone that would be consistent with what would be needed for sign stealing, but never actually documents sign stealing (or something else along this line...facts don't prove sign stealing, but Damn does it look suspicious to a reasonable person). In a civil suit and mob (in)justice, beyond a reasonable doubt is not needed. The Astros were caught and were caught bad. Yankees....still in speculation mode. My guess is if they get hit (not thinking the letter does it alone), it is going to bad for the Yankees and MLB in general*.

#40 Joe Joe, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    jim1961 likes this.