1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Long List of GOP Senators Who Promised Not to Confirm a SC Nominee During an Election Year

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by IBTL, Sep 19, 2020.

1. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

He doesn't know what partisan means. It's clear @jiggyfly has mistaken it for another word. It's like playing cards with my sister's kids.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So now its how many and not no one did which is what the guy you responded to claimed to be what constituted ramming stuff through.

So why did you impeachment this with the ACA?

Where you not saying it was the same thing?

I don't care how you claim I am acting.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If the dude had said partisan I would not have said anything do you know what the point of contention actually is?

Its him claiming that anything that does not have a opposite party vote is ram down the other parties throat.

This is why I question your comprehension skills.

Nobody said anything about partisanship.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Its him claiming that anything that does not have a opposite party vote is ram down the other parties throat. - I agree with his assessment and consider that ramming it down the other parties throat. Just like this upcoming SCOTUS nomination.

It would be more helpful if you explain why you don't consider it 'ramming it down the other party's throat' ? I think that's what's missing.

5. edwardc

edwardc Member

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

New Flash:

In 2016, Republican Senators lied about why a liberal judge could not be voted on.

In 2020, Republican Senators lied about why a conservative judge could be voted on.

Anyone sensing a trend?

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. No Worries

And for those slow on the uptake ... if Trump loses ... The 2021 version of the Republican Party will be saying "Who is this Donald Trump you are talking about? I do not think I have ever heard of him."

jiggyfly, RayRay10 and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mitt Romney wasn't in the Senate in 2016 and I don't recall him ever saying anything about not confirming an USSC justice in the last year of a President's term.

Also while Romney certainly doesn't like Trump he also is a conservative and wants a conservative court. I wasn't surprised when he came out and said he would consider and vote for a nominee as I didn't see any reason to count on him other than that he is anti-Trump. I can disagree with him but I don't see him being spineless or a hypocrite here. Unlike Graham, Cruz, McConnell, et al.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

If Trump loses and the Republicans lose the Senate there is going to be full on fight in the GOP. It will take awhile to get the Trumpists out of the party and I predict some big primary battles in 2022 and 2024.

One thing I'm pretty certain though is Ted Cruz and Lindsey Graham will be saying that they never trusted Trump and were always against him.. Graham, especially if he loses, will probably write a tell all book.

jiggyfly, RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Well it did not take long for almost all of the GOP Senators who feigned some independence from Trump to get on board in hammering home their latest right wing S Ct. Justice. Time to get over the naive idea that they care about hypocrisy, political norms or bipartisanship etc.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

What's more galling is that Merrick Garland isn't even a liberal. He's slightly to the Left but still very much in the center.

edwardc, RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  12. No Worries

It would be easier to pretend Trump never happened.

In 2010, the Republicans pretended the Great Recession never happened and that if it did it was Obama's fault.

Trump 2024 just might derail all of the above.

rocketsjudoka and RayRay10 like this.
  13. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Can't wait to bump Carl's "in the ass" thread when Graham releases his tell all book.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nope not playing this game with you.

At least you agree that this did not happen with Impeachment since it had a vote by the opposite party.

You want to talk about all the ramming the Republicans have done?

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Supporting a nominee for the bench and fealty to Trump can be seperate things.

Nobody actually thinks they care about those things it was laid bare during the ACA and further strengthened after Garland.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Romney wasn't part of the Garland mess. I'm also pretty sure having a conservative justice is close to tops of the list of wants from the people of Utah.

Simply, Romney isn't doing anything morally wrong. He isn't Graham, Cruz, or McConnell who are just full of crap.

I actually believe Trump should fill this seat, but believe McConnell shouldn't hold a vote (only because of his 2016 stance). I'd applaud Trump if he declined to do it and if I were a deciding voter, holding off after the election would have swung me in his favor. But of course he wouldn't hold off, and that feeds exactly into why I'm not an undecided voter. Trump isn't the type of person where the right thing to do would have ever crossed his mind.

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

That is why McConnell refused to have a vote. He likely would have been confirmed or made every Republican senator appear extremely partisan.

The Majority leader and Speaker have entirely too much power. One person should not be able to prevent the bodies of Congress from even holding votes.

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Could be but I think Trump and his supporters are just too big and loud to just sweep down the Memory Hole.

RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think it's very easy for those who are inclined to support Trump will find a new cult of personality and I fear that the next one will be more intelligent and competent but still will pander to the id of the GOP base.

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Completely agree.
    This goes to something I've been arguing about. Changes put into by both parties have strengthened the power of the majority in the Senate. This is why I continue to oppose changes like that and think the Senate has lost it's much of it's prestige and it's nature as a deliberative body.

jiggyfly, RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.