1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dedicated Poll thread.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, Sep 2, 2020.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will grant you that ;)

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  2. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

3. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

So...bad polls for Biden out of Arizona and Florida...however, they have a R+5 turnout ratio in their polls...basically, they expect Republicans to turn out way more than Dems; take it for what it's worth.

J.R., FranchiseBlade and jiggyfly like this.
  4. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

But wait those voters registrations are up 46% across 3 battleground states?

Reeko and RayRay10 like this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am disappointed the NYT is creating Drama.

not saying Trump can't win but they seem to be willing to latch onto anything to show that.

That said i have read the article so maybe I am missing something.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Reading that thread it seems jake Sherman and Soledad O'brien have beef.

Who knew?:rolleyes:

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not really seeing anything interesting in those numbers.

It seems to show that more young black voters seem to distrust gov overall.

The Trump strength numbers are interesting but younger people like confrontation and brash talk more.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I actually thought this was a more interesting graph from the article:

[​IMG]

Interesting that the Age 30-44 group is actually more likely to vote for Trump for both whites and blacks. The article focuses on the youth vs elderly argument...when it should really be looking at why the 30-44 age from all races is more willing to vote for Trump.[/QUOTE]

jiggyfly and J.R. like this.
  11. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

12. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

13. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

14. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

15. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For a second I thought that was Jim Hagadorn US Rep for MN 1. I was going to say he's right HIS RACE is tight as he could be be unseated.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fox News Poll: Tight race in Ohio, Biden tops Trump in Nevada and Pennsylvania
    Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden leads President Donald Trump in the battleground states of Nevada, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, according to Fox News statewide likely voter surveys.

In each of the three states, majorities disapprove of the job Trump is doing as president, pluralities say coronavirus is “not at all” under control, and Biden is the preferred choice when it comes to handling the virus.

There are few undecided voters, and Biden’s support is 50 percent or better in each state. His advantage over Trump is outside the margin of error in Nevada and Pennsylvania, but not Ohio.

https://www.foxnews.com/official-po...nsylvania.amp#referrer=https://www.google.com

RayRay10 and seemoreroyals like this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

[/QUOTE]

Either I am not reading this right or the poll says 30-44 blacks are more willing to vote for Biden.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That 50% approval rating in those states is the real story, Trump has yet to get close to 50%.

20. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Either I am not reading this right or the poll says 30-44 blacks are more willing to vote for Biden.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I meant that 30-44 year olds were more likely to vote for Trump than other age groups...didn’t mean blacks in that age group were more likely to vote for Trump, just that they went for Trump more than other age groups.

I keep seeing polls that show that age group leaning towards Trump and I’ve been trying to figure out why. Is it because the Reagan years were fond memories? Maybe the impeachment of Clinton really shook them up, or maybe it’s a Gen X thing? I fall in that group and it honestly baffles me as to why.

I was reading up today on the Fairness Doctrine and it’s repeal in 1987 by the FCC and I wonder if that may have played a part in things. Almost immediately after the Fairness Doctrine was repealed, Conservative radio stations began popping up everywhere...Rush Limbaugh wasn’t far behind...and, ultimately, even though the Doctrine wouldn’t have applied to it in the form it was in, Fox News began broadcasting. Add in that Gingrich in 1996 decided that he would do everything possible to go after Clinton and the Dems and you could really see the birth of the growing partisanship that has taken hold of this country.

With so much of the Republican bloc seemingly coalesced in one age group (and mostly male), I wonder if the lack of being forced to provide a competing viewpoint immediately allowed these folks to hole up in their echo chambers going all the way back to the late 80’s. 30 years of being groomed by conservatives via media channels would definitely explain the irrational, cult-like fanaticism of the GOP base. From an age standpoint, if you were born in the late 70’s to late 80’s, and grew up in rural areas, or didn’t work in an office, you likely listened to radio and got your news from it rather than TV...which means you likely just heard a lot of the crap that conservatives want you to hear with no alternative viewpoint. Older voters still likely turn to TV News, likely one of the main broadcast channels, or newspapers...both of which tend to not skew so conservative. Younger age groups had the internet and could get their news in tons of different ways. That 30-44 year age group, though...the Conservatives got them and it likely leads back to that one decision.

I remember being part of that...my mom was a staunch Republican and would listen to right-wing conservative shows when I was growing up. She loved Rush and I actually liked him then as well...read his first two books and listened to him on drives back and forth to college. It wasn’t until my Dad saw one of his books and said he couldn’t understand why I wanted to read that idiot, blowhard’s books (my Dad was a bit more moderate, but still a Republican) that I stopped listening to Rush. My Dad was right, he was an idiot and blowhard. I also discovered the internet around that time (1995) and started getting other viewpoints...life took me in some different directions, ended up in the military, and I finally started meeting people that weren’t middle-class suburbanites. The big thing that started changing me was listening...listening to different people with different backgrounds describe their lives. When I finally saw real racism first hand, when I saw kids getting booted out of the Air Force because the government didn’t need them anymore and didn’t bother to help them prepare for the civilian world, and when I realized our president and his admin weren’t exactly truthful about their dealings in the Middle East while also forcing the country into a big recession, that was enough to change my mind...I was a long way from Rush’s world and the sheltered world I grew up in. Haven’t voted for a Republican president since and have continued to move towards the left on issues while supporting Democrats when I believe in them.

So, how to solve...only thing I can think of is turn out and vote as anyone that indoctrinated is unlikely to change their mind at this point, at least, not in major numbers. Eventually, those numbers will dwindle, and it’s likely that conservative numbers dwindle as well as the younger generations don’t seem to be locked in by conservative media as much as my generation. With the rise of social media, the left is actually gaining with the youth who have the ability to actually have the freedom to get differing viewpoints whenever they want or need it. They see things online, like the George Floyd death, that my brain didn’t experience until I was in my mid-20s.

That’s why conservatives are going all-in right now...they likely lose their grip that they’ve had on American media once Trump is gone. FoxNews gets the best cable ratings, but most of it skews old because younger viewers aren’t watching 24/7 news channels when they get everything by social media anyway. Radio is dying and younger generations are listening to Spotify, podcasts, or audio books rather than listening to inane chatter. Hell, there’s a reason Republicans are trying to cultivate massive, right-wing social media...without it, they die. Hell, it’s probably too late for them already, especially if they lose all the branches and Trump takes them down with him.

Anyway, this went on way too long and I’m just rambling now...was just a thought process I had started on earlier and felt like typing out to clarify it in my head. Thanks for reading if you did.

TL;DR: I wonder if the repeal of the Freedom Doctrine had a huge influence in the greater number of 30-43 year olds being more willing to vote Trump.