1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RBG has passed away

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Sep 18, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. NewRoxFan

So now you do agree that there is a partisan political aspect, and that it should be a factor in the vetting of this nominee. I am glad we are now both in agreement on that.

And mconnell simply engaged in partisan one-upmanship, and the country suffered. So I suspect you won't be surprised if Democrats do so as well when they assume control of the senate.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Our Constitution will be protected from the dangerous, angry, emotional liberals. Thank you Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell! The future of our nation has been saved. This is historic.

ROXRAN likes this.
  4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

When ACB is confirmed, the swing vote and ideological center of the Supreme Court shifts from being John Roberts to now being SAMUEL ALITO. Glorious!

ROXRAN and Invisible Fan like this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Your argument was divorced from the consequences it would have on humans. That's all I wanted to bring up, not make you guilty. I give you enough credit that you would know that. Plus, I can't make you guilty especially as someone not close to you, you're responsible for that feeling in yourself.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

@rocketsjudoka addressed this already and here are some direct quotes:

"I want you to use my words against me. If there's a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say, 'Lindsey Graham said let's let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination."

“The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president."

7. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

8. Nook

Nook Member

There is a storm coming..... it has been brewing for a long time, and some people are not ready for it.

The next 18 months is not going to be kind to some.

RayRay10, jiggyfly and Andre0087 like this.
  9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Personally, I don't like that Trump will get to appoint another justice, however, it isn't against the law for him to do so. It obviously bugs the hell out of me what the Republicans have said in the past (hypocrites) and how they will proceed forward despite all the BS they've stated, however, it is also within their right and not breaking any laws.

It does bug me that the candidate will be pushed prior to election. Any public official who does not have a term limit should be scrutinized since we don't get to kick them out unless they do something that allows them to be kicked out.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

1) There's a century plus of precedent of the same party's President and Senate confirming justices in election years. That argument is put to bed.

2) Additionally, with the way the democrats treated Kavanaugh, they have absolutely no moral high ground to stand on. That was shameless and sickening what they put him through.

cml750, Corrosion and ROXRAN like this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How about the history of what McConnel Lyndsey and others said when they opposed Garland?

What about the history of what Lyndsey just said this summer?

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. NewRoxFan

Thanks for pointing out the republican hypocrisy... and that you believe a similar result (the USSC justice be blocked).

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. NewRoxFan

Since the republicans have already said they will vote to confirm the republican nominee for the USSC, perhaps the Democrats should call for a vote today. That way the senate can get back to the COVID-19 crisis. And whoever get confirmed (since there isn't a nominee named yet) can simply take the seat right away. And the senate campaigns, where the people will be able to ask questions about the new republican supreme court.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

I'm really starting to believe that the United States should just be the States of America. Split the country in two where you have the red states turn into the handmaid's tale and the blue states can govern without the crazies. I think the current path that we are on right now is leading to a full-blown civil war.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Democrats should slow the process as much as they can until after the election.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/517484-senate-gop-faces-pivotal-moment-on-pick-for-supreme-court
    This is what I've been saying, the scenario changes if it is a lame duck senate, the GOP knows this too and that's why they are trying to rush to get a new judge confirmed before the election.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's interesting how Repugs made it an election year statement not even to offer their constitutionally mandated courtesy of rejecting Garland while holding the ball for the next appointee. It was an obvious FU move that served more to move the tribal scoreboard.

Incredibly divisive and heavily nuanced that I bet 80% of the electorate don't even know what really happened.

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Actually this one so nakedly biased I think all nuance is blown away.

i would say that 80% is less than 40 and most of those people are wilfully ignorant.

Invisible Fan and RayRay10 like this.
  18. NewRoxFan

Actually, if the seat is inevitable, I believe the sooner the vote, the better. Why would senators care if the vote is help during the lame duck session... those seats that are at greatest risk will have already been decided.

Instead, focus the debate on RvW and ACA. Simplify the debate and highlight what is at risk. The USSC nominee will of course refuse to answer any question on the two topics. Fine, allows the questioners to define the nominee's position, that her past decisions show she will go against precedence and overturn RvW. Remind folks that she will overturn ACA (she criticized Roberts for "protecting" ACA). Ignore any other area of discussion. And remind senate race voters who voted for and against the nominee. And why.

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  19. cml750

cml750 Member

SCOTUS nominations truly became political back with the Democrats ridiculous handling of Robert Bork. It was put on steroids with the utterly ridiculous crap pulled by the left in the Kavanaugh confirmation.

McConnell is doing what he was elected to do. The Republicans have had control of the Senate since 2014 and they get to decide how they do business. The Constitution does not lay out a timeline for the Senate role in the process so the party in power gets to decide the timeline. There is historical precedent for what McConnell and the Republicans are doing and you know damn good and well the left would be doing exactly the same thing if the situation was reversed.

It is ludicrous to say the country suffered but you are entitled to your opinion. The Democrats started this by getting rid of the filibuster for judge confirmations so we have already seen how they behave. Also it is ridiculous to talk about congress and politics when we have seen all the bullcrap pulled by Democrats like the fabricated impeachment. It does not get much more political than that.

Corrosion likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree and I think him not going with Barret is gonna turn some people off and show him for the selfish con man he really is.

I bet this is simmering asa sticking point among republicans right now.

Something to look out for.

RayRay10 likes this.