1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I never said that....*******. **** you.

2. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You've really tripled down on a bad take for years now. BoB is horrible.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

A good point brought up this morning on one of the local radio shows. I forget which one as I was changing between them...

Assume you know nothing else about the Texans other than it's 2020. If you were told that a coach has been here 7 years and has not only received an extension...but was also given the title of GM, what would you think would've happened over the last 7 years? I think most, if not all, would assume that there's been some incredible successes and probably even a championship mixed in there somewhere. You probably wouldn't think that it's a coach that's not gotten past the Divisional round with only division titles to hang his hat from.

Instead, we have the dumpster fire that is O'Buttchin and nothing but mediocrity.

marks0223 and RayRay10 like this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL. I NEVER said BoB is a good coach. I said POSSIBLY he knows what he is doing and you let it play out. However, that ended with the Buffalo game (even when Deshaun came back and won it). I wanted him replaced in the offseason. When he was given the GM title, I was resigned to the fact the Cal McNair gave him control. Why stress yourself over that. Nothing could be done until Cal McNair gets fed up. I hated the Hopkins trade, but I know why they did it (in year 4 and 5 of that contract, it would kill the roster).

Just because you don't all ballistic on BoB's moves, doesn't mean you support them. Philosophy is let things play out. No point of getting panties in a bunch over stuff you cannot control. Cal McNair doesn't care about what we think on this message board. When he get fed up, then O'Brien will be fired.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Why is it that it seems Watson's best play was that 6 game stretch , years ago? And that was when he didn't know ****... Tells me alot about Obrien's coaching impact on Watson IMO... He played best when he did it on instinct..

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Was just coming to post this.

First 6 starts were the "best" we've seen of the offense...(and it wasn't Bill's offense)

Did only go 3-3 (up late in both Patriots/Seahawks games); scored 30+ in 5 of the 6 games (have only scored 30+ 7 times since)

W 13-9 Bengals on short week
    L 36-33 Patriots
    W 57-14 Titans
    L 42-34 Chiefs
    W 33-17 Browns
    L 41-38 Seahawks

8. Mattician

Mattician Member

Could argue in any sport really.

The Texans have been the laughing stock of the NFL for a long time, but people are just now realizing it. There's always been another team making similar dumb decisions, like the Browns. Not anymore.

The Texans have gotten a lot of negative attention in recent years, and rightfully so.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Knicks ownership? Jets ownership? Browns?

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You guys are way too impatient. It's only been 7 years.

It takes time to build a winner.

the11mingdynasty, RayRay10 and tinman like this.
  11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

In their last four games against the Chiefs and Ravens - clearly, the clear two best teams in the AFC, and thus, the Texans' measuring stick - the Texans are 0-4 and have been outscored, 159-74. And, honestly: the games weren't that close. They include stretches in which they were outscored, 34-0; 51-7; 31-7; 30-13........

They play Pittsburgh and Tennessee - arguably the 3rd and 4th best teams in the AFC - over the next four weeks; I suspect the results will be similar. And their reward is Green Bay to close out their first 7 games.

If, as I suspect, the Texans are no better than 2-5 at the bye (and, frankly, they'll be *lucky* to be 2-5, IMO), with blowout losses to the Chiefs and Ravens + (likely) losses to the Steelers and Titans..... If BO'B isn't fired then...........

(And, no - I'm not just assuming they'll beat the Vikings & Jags. 0-7 is absolutely, positively on the frickin' table.)

#5891 Hey Now!, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    RayRay10 and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. sanedolt

sanedolt Member

keenum, fitzpatrick, mallett, hoyer and maybe weeden are all better when they have minimum coaching from BOB.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The biggest mistake in Bob McNair's philosophy was that consistency and staying the course is the most important ingredient in winning. He wanted to be the Steelers with Noll, Cowher, and Tomlin. 3 coaches in 51 years. It's the main reason we've only had 2 coaches in the last 15 years.

The problem is, of course, that it doesn't work with crappy or mediocre coaches.

Have other teams stuck with coaches this long? Yes. But those coaches also go to Super Bowls.

The Texans don't want to be the Browns, changing coaches every 2 years. But they've yet to learn when enough is enough.

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I think some of you have LOST perspective. McNairs are Far From the worst owners in sports. Just because don’t like their decisions doesn’t make bad. The Texans field a competitive team and make the playoffs. Yes, they haven’t won a championship or made the championship game. However, Ask the Browns, Bengals, Bears, and Jets about bad owners. Hell, Ask the Knicks and Timberwolves. The Texans spend money on their teams. Now, you can question who they choose to lead the team. I guess many of you are too young to remember Bud Adams and John McMullen (Astros). Now, those are BAD owners.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

There was one point where the Jets were actually challengers to Brady's Patriots. Browns have gotten better in recent times.

Houston is stuck in neutral. With the way this season is going, we're backpedaling.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The NFL has a salary cap floor, the Texans have to spend money. Comparing the Texans to the worst franchises in sports makes the point. Winning the worst division in the NFL isn’t something to brag about and yet their coach does it like a clown.

BTW, constantly putting things in caps just looks stupid. Protip.

the11mingdynasty and RayRay10 like this.
  17. Major

Major Member

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.ph...-and-will-have-a-chip-on-its-shoulder.301090/

3 weeks later...

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.ph...e-bill-o’brien-knows-what-he-is-doing.301302/

You seem to be wrong ... a lot. Like every single thread and post you make. Have you considered how hard it is to be wrong on every single thing you argue? Just by luck you should be right every so often.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

BOBs presser today in the morning; looked like a man defeated. Lots of I don’t knows and general exhaustion. Hopefully he’s been told his seats on fire

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Not Wrong. About Context.
    Hmm...and did I say he was a good coach? I said MAY know what he is doing as GM. Before the Hopkins trade, BTW. Actually, Not wrong. Team made the playoffs and lost to the SuperBowl Champs. More about the players than O’BRIEN.

20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I mean it’s possible considering we have one of the most expensive rosters but we haven’t really shown any results on the field.

Cal can’t be to happy with that.

RayRay10 likes this.