1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should JV have sacrificed?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Senator, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Malaya

Malaya Member

It's a prestige thing. Both for JV and the Astros.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They're actually a top 10 media market now (#7).... and growing faster than any of the other top 10 media markets.

I'd say having a payroll greater than $200 million next year is both a product of the window... and a market that will consume winning baseball en masse.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Just so we're clear...according to you, the poor do not understand sacrifice.

Also, as has been pointed out, the lack of a salary cap in MLB renders your comparison irrelevant. They are not the same thing at all. You should really just stop with this one.

YOLO likes this.
  4. the shark

the shark Member

I would agree with this assessment.

5. Senator

Senator Member

As we always see in these cases... takes the money and gets injured. Wasn't much of a sacrifice, to take 20 million or so less. The team might have had Gerrit Cole to lead them through this stretch and not to have to suffer with Zach Greinke.

6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Hell no. It’s a business.

Rock Block likes this.
  7. Major

Major Member

Except, you know, for all the times it doesn't.

Maybe he wanted $86 and settled for $66, and DID take $20MM less? How would you ever know?

Or the owner who's also made millions over his career could have always paid the extra $20MM if he wanted to. This isn't the NBA where there is a salary cap.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  8. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Cole was never resigning with the Astros. He is living his dream with the Yankees.

HTown2017Champs and msn like this.
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Unfortunately, my dream is to see the Yankees lose as much as possible and never make it to the WS again in my lifetime.

Cole may realize in time that playing for the Yankees isn't so heavenly after all.

Handles, J.R. and conquistador#11 like this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So... if I am understanding you correctly, had JV signed for less money, he wouldn't be injured?

cmlmel77 likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Astros, nor any other team except the Yankees, were giving Cole 9 years $350 million.

Maybe they shouldn't have extended him at all. They had him signed through last year as part of the trade. I thought at the time of the trade, it was the perfect time-frame to get the "best" possible years out of JV. Then again, maybe he's not in the same frame of mind last year pitching on an expiring contract when he wins the CY. Maybe he does have a chance to pitch elite baseball well into his 40's like Nolan Ryan.

The one thing he had going for him was his durability... that has now one into question, as it typically does to every pitcher at some point. He still has elite stuff and an elite arm. He's going to have some employment opportunities (including here) if he is out all of next year.

12. Buck Turgidson

Given yesterday's news he probably should have sacrificed a chicken before opening day, yes.

desihooper likes this.
  13. Senator

Senator Member

Yup, great call. Now you're paying $70 million to a guy to do nothing for 2 years.

You had to let Gerrit Cole walk.

The cowardly nature of the front office when letting him walk all over them , his greed despite alerady having so much, have crippled this franchise at a time when they need all hands on deck. Really needs to be a clause for players over 35 with big earnings to not be eligible to earn full salary during prolonged injuries - 20% at most.

14. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Actually it is 45.2 million for Verlander since Covid chopped the salaries this year.

You really wanted the Astros to sign Cole to a NINE year deal for 324 million? That is a bad decision unless you are the money printing machine known as the New York Yankees. Players will never give up fully guaranteed salaries. Stop with the nonsense.

Rock Block likes this.
  15. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Yea no way we were doing the Cole deal. As far as how ever many millions we’re paying JV? Too bad. That’s the chance you take. BTW if I’m JV I get as much as I can. It’ll be interesting to see how deep Cranes pockets are given what has transpired.

16. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Dumb thread gets dumber every time you bump it.

Should Verlander have "sacrificed" and taken less from the Astros? Why the **** would/should he?

You can try to make the argument that the Astros should not have paid him so much to extend, but that has never been what this thread is about, and it's not Verlander's fault the Astros gave him that much. I personally have no issue with the contract, but as with any signing, there are different viewpoints. Not signing Verlander definitely would not have kept Cole here if that is honestly what you are implying.

17. Buck Turgidson

No, they're not. But it's cute that you think that.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I still want to know had JV signed for the 20 million @Senator suggested, if he would have been injured, because apparently we always see greedy players get injured...always.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This thread is stupid as ****.

REEKO_HTOWN, King1 and CometsWin like this.
  20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

saw OP’s name and just skipped to the end