1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets wanted D'Antoni back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Sep 18, 2020.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Tilman is not known for treating employees well -- the pandemic exposed that.

Dacamel, Ziggy and justtxyank like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

All true, their system worked well at times and had fatal flaws which proved to be critical in the playoffs.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Everything is a total **** show with Tillman, literally everything.

The future is incredibly bleak.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

As said before, I do not see a coaching change improving things dramatically.

Unless they play the Heat style with more perfection.

For that they have to trade away half the team, start anew.

justtxyank and treyk3 like this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

exactly.

We don't know of any of them can coach a top seeded team for a full season except him. We also don't know if any of them can coach a team with Harden and Russ to the finals. MDA got a shot and I think he was mostly great. I think it's just best to try something new. Odds are we aren't winning a championship with or without MDA, may as well give it a boost. You know that Tilman final push when Morey gets weak in the knees?

6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

sometimes it just takes a little push and a new voice.

Dwyane Casey and Mark Jackson were similarly successful on their teams and were replaced and won immediately. Obviously we aren't adding Kawhi Leonard for Russ this season, so it's more akin to Kerr replacing Mark Jackson. Similar roster, mild tweaks. MDA joining a new team and Monte McNair joining the Kings helps us improve. It gives us two new teams to try and accomplish a trade with.

vupac1, BigShasta and HP3 like this.
  7. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

The primary issue being Luxury Tax Savings prioritized over roster depth?

8. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Either way I’m happy he’s gone. We need a fresh perspective on the roster. It wasn’t working glad someone had the balls to make the decision just happened to be MDA.

mikol13, joshuaao, J.R. and 1 other person like this.
  9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

When Paul was traded away that was pretty much the end of the road for MDA because he no longer had the best possible team to coach. He wasn't going to stay to coach for long unless he was going to get paid which Tilman clearly was not going to do.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Tilman Fertitta wouldn't open his checkbook. When he decided he wanted Westbrook (I seriously doubt that Morey wanted him), then was the time to do it. To fold other moves into the deal. It was discussed a lot here, by @Clutch and @BimaThug and several members. Morey certainly would have wanted to, in my opinion. Tilman ran his mouth, as per usual, and Morey couldn't publicly disagree with the team's owner.

After that, we would regularly hear from Fertitta that he was, "willing to open my wallet, spend whatever it takes," and at the trade deadline, Morey would make the moves Fertitta really wanted, to save money instead of significantly improving our chances to win a championship, in my opinion. Tilman is a con artist, at least he thinks he is. Calling him a conman is a more accurate description. There is nothing artistic about the guy.

So why would D'Antoni want to come back and coach for him? He was disrespected and lied to, in my opinion. Personally, I'm glad we're moving on, at least I hope I am. This is one of those, "be careful what you wish for," things. We could end up wishing we had Mike back before the dust settles.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

Bring back MDA after that 5 game ass whooping? Were they planning to blame that collapse on fckery from House? C’mon. Why should he have been brought back after watching the team go out like that?

MDA is kind of a scapegoat, but a change was needed, let’s be real.

Deuce, JW86, JayGoogle and 1 other person like this.
  12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Nah, the worst case scenario is the team never wins a championship with Harden. No guarantee either way. Only way we are missing the playoffs is if James Harden gets hurt. I sincerely mean that. Even the year we went 41-41 it would have been better to miss the playoffs but James willed us in with heroics. James is not the same player he was in 2016, he's much more well rounded and has learned how to lead.

13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I have a hard time believing they wanted him back. They had no faith in him if they were throwing some idiotic 1 year incentive deal that was a low-ball offer to begin with. The guy is a veteran coach that can get paid in this league; Tilman can't seriously be playing these childish games in the NBA. We are talking about the best league in the world with best coaches in the world and the best players in the world. This isn't the NCAA or his hospitality bullshit empire. He really needs to get with the program.

If they really wanted him back, Mike did us a solid by removing himself from the team. Sometimes, it's time to move on. I hated the hire, but loved him as a coach and enjoyed his stint here.

14. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I liked the initial hire of D'Antoni. He did well for us. But at this point, do I think that his style or culture was going to get us to a championship, or that he had additional ideas that would sufficiently improve us? No.

He had done what he could, and it wasn't enough, and our remaining deficiencies were symptomatic of his shortcomings. The next coach could easily make things worse. Being a cynic, I think he probably will. But Mike wasn't going to make them better.

To be honest, I think he knew that, too — that he had reached the limits of what he could achieve here — and that's a big reason why he bailed and went on the market while a bunch of other coaching jobs were open. He's getting out and getting paid while his record here still looks good.

Richie_Rich, JW86, joshuaao and 6 others like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I have never heard of Monte McNair before this.

Hope he had done something significant when he was here away from the spotlight.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm not worried about missing the playoffs. I'm worried about who'll be coaching the team when we get there. How we'll be seeded will be a reflection of the success of whoever is hired to replace MDA, our luck with injuries, and the moves Morey is allowed to make. Sounds easy! (that's sarcasm)

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

So Ferntits did us a favor?

18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

True but I'm absolutely positive I personally will have no second thoughts about moving on. Just because MDA goes to the Pelicans and they make the playoffs or goes to the 76ers and they make the second round next year doesn't mean it's not time to move on. I hope he goes to the Pacers and I hope they contend. I also hope he trades for Eric Gordon there as there are five players we could swap him for to improve our team's outlook.

I've personally never felt remorse when the team has moved on from a coach. Not with Van Gundy, Not with Adelman, DEFINITELY not with McHale and I won't with MDA. Now will I love the hire? Who knows? I hated the MDA hire. I loved his tenure for the most part. It was a fun product and he seems like a great guy. I have a small group of coaches I want in my mind. I have a group of coaches in my mind that I will detest the hire. I'd be willing to be it will be someone I'm not thinking about.

Sometimes a level of comfort leads to stagnation. MDA stagnated in Phoenix and left everywhere else in disarray (LA and NY). Two seasons without a WCF appearance was enough to say he failed while Harden is in his early 30s. Especially when that is the goal post that Tilman presents every year. If this was the Spurs and Pop made the Semis this year with that team it would be an over achievement. For better or worse, Harden raises expectations. Morey has him convinced that luck is only involved after making the WCF and everything else is based on who is the best. The next coach will have a four year window if history is accurate and if I had to guess, will have to be willing to rebuild on the fly.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

So all we need to get him back is for Tilman to part with a gigantic chunk of cash?

Yeah, not holding my breath on that one.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wasn't MDA pretty cheap when he came along in 2016 fresh off some associate job with Philly?

They're going with some former assistant.

topfive and BigShasta like this.