1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Rockets Coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. Space City, Sep 11, 2020.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

We need a new one for sure.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

"A mindset similar to Morey's is a must for a Rockets coach."

Fat ass Morey needs to get down there & coach the team. Your team, your garbage system, get your ass down there & coach them. Break out your nerd ****ing numbers in timeouts. ...

JW86, anchel, bmelo and 2 others like this.
  3. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Don’t know if JVG wants to coach this team with Morey as the GM. Morey time as the NBA GM is over, his name should be moron.

4. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

You can tell JVG would definitely be interested in coaching the rockets. He likes the rockets you can just tell he knows where we need improvement.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Thoughts and prayers? This team is kinda SOL roster wise.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/phi...on-brand-ned-cohen-alex-rucker--20200917.html

League sources have said the Sixers are inquiring about the possibility of hiring a president of basketball operations.

One source said that Portland Trail Blazers president of basketball operations/ general manager Neil Olshey might have some interest in the Sixers, but that’s only if he has total power, as the president and general manager.

Former Atlanta Hawks president of basketball operation/GM Danny Ferry’s name keeps popping up as a possible candidate. But the Sixers keep shooting that down.

They also denied that they were planning to take another run at Myers. That would not have mattered, anyway. The Golden State Warriors president of basketball operations and general manager isn’t interested in coming to Philadelphia, according to sources.

A source also believes the Sixers will attempt to inquire about Houston GM Morey and Indiana Pacers president of basketball operations Kevin Pritchard. The source, however, believes it’s unlikely that they would be interested.

It wouldn’t make that much sense to go after any of those types of candidates, knowing they won’t come to Philadelphia. Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta said Morey’s job is safe following the team’s second-round playoff elimination. He signed a five-year contract extension in March 2019.

7. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

You know what would be crazy...Clippers firing Doc Rivers and Tilman hiring him as the new Rockets coach.

sirjesse and CRJ713 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Can they give us Jerry West and Ballmer?

sirjesse and dreamshakin like this.
  9. TimDuncanDonaut

So Becky Hammon is under Pop's coaching tree. I am hearing people putting her name out there, but does anyone know what her actual assistant coaching duties are at Spurs?

What are the qualities that's making people put her name out there? (defense, offense, XOs, shooting coach, game adjustments, relationship with a certain player, communicator, motivator, coaching style?)

izeroi likes this.
  10. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Well Thats a relief, my clients made it sound like Morey wasn't happy in his current situation. Maybe its just East Coast Hype.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wait, is Morey the president of bball operations or not..... it's just a title but it is also more recognition.

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Tad Brown

It's time to give Morey that title and promote a new GM so we quit losing them to other teams or it's time to bring in a big name for that role to recruit like West or Riley do. Rudy T would be great if he wanted it, Hakeem would be even better.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I would be very pleased if we got Becky Hammon.

From the Denver Post:

Underestimated but undeterred: Colorado State legend Becky Hammon is on a path like no other.
    Danny Green, a two-time NBA champion with the Spurs and the Raptors, lauded Hammon as a coach. One of the five best he’s ever had, assistant or otherwise, he said.

The resistance, in the form of obstacles shirked and ceilings shattered, is what makes Becky Hammon’s story special. To get to where she’s at now, as the first full-time female assistant coach in NBA history, Hammon had to carve her own path.

The unassuming point guard from Rapid City, South Dakota didn’t have any major college programs interested in her. Despite her heady play and gifted ability to finish at the rim – born of hours shooting on the weathered hoop in her driveway – she had a huge disadvantage standing at 5-foot-6.

But former Colorado State assistant Kari Gallegos-Doering recalled seeing her for the first time. It was at a weekend showcase in Denver, and major programs were represented.

“And so there was a kid named Nikki Weddle,” Gallegos-Doering remembered. “Everybody was there to watch Nikki.”

But Hammon, who happened to be on Weddle’s team, kept elevating her teammates and dicing her opponents. When Gallegos-Doering compared notes with another assistant coach who had watched the showcase, both were struck by Hammon’s basketball IQ.

“We were both like, ‘Who was this little player from South Dakota that was playing with Nikki?” Gallegos-Doering said. “My gosh.”

Hammon was later invited to a more prestigious showcase in Indiana, where she was selected to the event’s all-star team. Gallegos-Doering had an inkling of what might be coming, even as Hammon took on bigger-name players, including high school All-Americans.

“She’s out there making them look bad,” she said. “Putting moves on them, going to the rim, finishing the way she did, and the girls are running down the floor shaking their head.”

Proximity and comfort landed her at Colorado State, where Hammon helped turn a middling program into a WAC powerhouse, leading the Rams to three NCAA tournaments and the Sweet 16 in 1999. She owns the school’s career record for points, 3-pointers and assists, and her 2,740 points ranks first, male or female, in conference history.

Her tenure, marked by clever finishes, no-look passes and an infectious energy, helped stuff Moby Arena to capacity. As a freshman, Hammon had predicted to her teammates that they’d eventually be playing to sellout crowds.

“You look for somebody who has that hunger, just that magic,” Gallegos-Doering said. “I always said Becky has mojo. She’s just flat-out got something special. Michael Jordan has that mojo. You can’t explain it, you certainly can’t guard it. You can’t buy it. You can’t try and practice it. Some people have it, and she had it and she still has it. She’s where she’s at because of it.”

And yet the three-time All-American was still overlooked in the WNBA draft. She garnered an invitation to training camp with the New York Liberty and only survived the roster cuts after earning the respect of veterans such as Teresa Weatherspoon and Vickie Johnson.

Sue Bird, who would be drafted No. 1 out of Connecticut three years later, remembers exactly where she was when the two first crossed paths. Former Liberty and UConn star Rebecca Lobo organized a dinner that Bird attended while she was still in college.

“As a basketball player growing up in New York and seeing somebody, a professional athlete who played for the Liberty, I was almost in awe,” Bird said. “I was like ‘Oh, (wow) this is Becky Hammon.’”

That was the type of admiration Hammon inspired among her peers. With New York, Hammon went to three WNBA finals and made three All-Star teams, morphing from an integral role player to a burgeoning star. Once she was traded to San Antonio in 2007, more All-Star appearances followed and the Stars reached their only Finals appearance in franchise history. She flourished in tight spaces and her precise handle made her a nightmare to stop in the open court.

Hammon now ranks fourth all-time in WNBA history for 3-pointers made and fifth all-time in assists. Though Bird has the edge in both categories, Hammon has her enduring respect. (Hammon did not respond to numerous attempts requesting comment for this story).

“She’s someone that I think early on in her career she got underestimated, but she’s a killer,” Bird said. “I think at her size, that’s probably a big reason she got underestimated. But my favorite part of her game, I think a lot of people are going to watch her and see the shooting, which was deep and consistent, you had to guard her out there, but, man, when she got in the lane, I don’t know that there’s a player that’s more fun to watch than Becky when she would drive into the lane. You had to base your entire scouting report around that.”

Bird said Hammon’s finishing was reminiscent of Brooklyn’s Kyrie Irving,

“The spins … Becky’s the exact same,” Bird said. “But she was doing it before him.”

And that’s where the respect comes in. Not only did her peers – from both the WNBA and NBA – recognize her talent, but she revealed a lot of her mettle when she was left off the U.S. Olympic team in 2008. Though snubbed by her country, Hammon was already playing in Russia during the WNBA offseason and accepted a spot on its national team. She even became a Russian citizen, which, to Bird, who also played there, meant an advantage.

“I think all athletes we dream of (playing in the Olympics), and it was also a business opportunity,” Bird said.

The fact that Hammon could play as a European made her more attractive to teams because there are limits to how many Americans can play on a team.

“So, that presents even more opportunity in terms of teams, which is more money, right?” Bird explained. “You have more people who can sign you, it’s going to become a bidding war. So I think for Becky it checked a lot of boxes that made sense. She got (grief) for it, which I think was totally unwarranted.

“My favorite part of that Olympics was when the national anthem played for the U.S. (during the gold medal ceremony), Becky had her hand on her heart,” Bird said. “Becky sang along. It wasn’t that she wasn’t American anymore.”

But Russia had medaled, too. Hammon beamed at the ceremony, gripping her bronze medal with pride. She’d done it her way.

It’s fair to assume that Hammon’s breadth of experiences, in addition to her success, were what first got the attention of Spurs’ coach Gregg Popovich. A chance encounter between the two on the way home from the 2012 London Olympics started the conversation. By the end of their flight, Popovich was considering hiring her as an assistant.

While Hammon was rehabbing a torn ACL in 2013, Popovich allowed her to sit in on practices. Practices soon became film sessions, and before long, Hammon was willing to challenge Pop.

“That’s when I knew, if I had an opportunity, I wanted to put her on staff,” Popovich told The New Yorker.

In 2014, he did. This was no gimmick or publicity stunt. Popovich said he didn’t play that game.

Former Spurs wing Danny Green said there were growing pains but Hammon learned quickly. She needed to digest scouting reports, learn NBA personnel and develop organic relationships with the veteran Spurs.

“It doesn’t go as smoothly as they would like it to, but we had so many vets that respected her,” Green said. “Not just as a coach but as a player.”

Green, a two-time NBA champion with the Spurs and the Raptors, lauded Hammon as a coach. One of the five best he’s ever had, assistant or otherwise, he said.

“It wasn’t like, ‘Oh, this is Becky, or that’s our female coach,’” Green said. “It was like, ‘Coach, or Coach Hammon or Becky’, she’s got some good stuff, see Becky about this or talk to her about that.”

But what made her so appealing to Popovich – and to those who knew her at Colorado State and in the WNBA – is her affability. Hammon has the ability to connect.

“She’s always been the type of person that transcends,” said Gallegos-Doering. “I always said, if anybody’s going to be the barrier breaker because they can get along and know how to work with different types of people, it would be Becky. Money on it, hands down. It’s Becky.”

Added Bird: “She’s really funny…We joke about movies, but then also she doesn’t miss a beat with what’s happening around her.”

That’s an essential quality for Popovich, whose wit makes his biting tongue palatable.

“You have to do some dinners with Pop,” Green said. “But you also have to be able to take his (trash talk) and give it back. … The biggest thing is he wants to see if you can stand up for yourself, have a sense of humor and obviously be able to handle a bottle of wine. But also, understand the game, understand life and how his mind works and be able to have your own input without being scared to say something.”

Hammon never was.

“She’s gonna make a great 30 for 30 someday,” Gallegos-Doering said. “She really is.”

#113 Deckard, Sep 17, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

She is my new front runner (hopeful) if for no other reason I am tired of hearing the same old names regurgitated over and over.

She may have real pluses though:

She might work cheap on a shorter deal to get her foot into the NBA level Head coaching door.
    She might be more willing to bend her native (whatever that is) NBA philosophy to suit the Rockers and Morey for the same reason as above.
    Certainly would be innovative in certain ways.
    Would bring attention to the club for doing something bold first (1st woman HC hire in the NBA).

And minuses:

Sure would be risky to trust Hardens final best years to a unproven.
    Would the players fully accept a female HC?

Deckard likes this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

She was able to earn the respect of Popovich and the vets on the Spurs during her 6 years there, Danny Green being an obvious example. Hammon would come cheap, I’m guessing, so yes, Fertitta would love that aspect of hiring her and the publicity it would bring him. My reason for liking her as a hire is that she’s reported to be smart as hell. I think she would be open to new ideas and would be innovative, which would likely appeal to Morey (who doesn’t appear to be going anywhere). Hammon would be a risk. So was D’Antoni. Heck, so was Morey.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  16. izeroi

izeroi Member

Coming from under pops wing this is something that would be great. I'd fear that some players wouldn't respond well/take her seriously though.

17. JW86

JW86 Member

Well, if that's true, I am out.

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If Russ isn't traded then small ball is here to stay. That's pretty much the main reason why we traded away Clint and went small ball 100% of the time. You can't have two non shooters in Capela and Westbrook on the floor. I hope Fertitta saw how he f*cked up when he made it a priority to trade for Russ after the team got blasted out of the playoffs and give Morey the green light to trade Russ. Like I liked Russ when he made a commitment to stop hoisting threes and attack like a mad man because that's what he's great at and that makes him more efficient. But for whatever reason he decided to resort back to Bad Russ and that's not the Russ I ever want to see again.

19. JW86

JW86 Member

Westbrook back at PG, Harden off the ball, body and ball movement, use of all areas of the floor. Problem solved.