1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike D'Antoni will not return as Rockets coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Sep 13, 2020.

1. HardenVolumeOne

like what, in the spurs series we lost he made no adjustments, the following year in the 0-27 game he made no adjustments and the years following that

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Statistically, he was the best regular season coach in Rockets history. And 2nd best coach in the playoffs.

3. HP3

HP3 Member

Okay well that proves my point though? All better player's defensively than offensively.....Capela trade was because of Westbrook.

YOLO likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Who do you think is lying? Scumbag Tilman & scumbag Daryl or Mike D'Antoni?

"Media creation" "Media buzzword" :rolleyes:

"He’s not a lame duck to me. That’s just a media term. That’s just a media buzzword." - Tilman

"I think I have one of the NBA’s great coaches in Mike D’Antoni. And I think I have one of the best basketball ops groups, Daryl and his whole team. Personally, I love Mike. But I’m going to leave it up to the general manager. I surely would like to have Mike back. If Daryl wants to have Mike back, I’m sure Mike is going to be back." - Tilman

"I laugh at this. "Oh, this is Mike D'Antoni's last stand if he doesn't make it to the Finals. He's gone." I read crap like that & I laugh. I'm gonna have a coach that could even get to the 2nd round and take the Lakers to 7 games and I'm gonna go get rid of him? Absolutely not unless James, Russ, Daryl & Raf come in and say "It's time to change coaches." I laugh at that kind of stuff." - Tilman

Tilman: "I Promise you that MDA will be the coach next year" (@JW86)

Morey did not mince words when assessing whether he considered it the team’s top priority to sign D’Antoni to a new deal after his contract expires at the end of this season. "It’s probably No. 1 That’s a fair way to put it," Morey told USA TODAY Sports. "We have all our key players signed. I think Mike coming back is super important." D’Antoni had talks with Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta about a possible extension last summer, but he had no interest in just taking a one-year deal. It would not be surprising if he attracted interest from other teams with head coach vacancies. Morey described this dynamic as "a media creation" and added that "it’s convenient for agents to focus on it."

Should have canned his ass when you canned his entire coaching staff last year but you're too GD cheap.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  5. Lunareste

Lunareste Member

Well at the very least, the product on court will be very different next year. Looking forward to seeing how our strategy evolves next year.

Rudyc281 and HP3 like this.
  6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I wish him the best. Oh what could have been in 2018, but it’s definitely time to move on.

My favorite MDA moment is when that loser and fake tough guy Blake Griffin shoulder bumped him and MDA was ready to go after him. Screaming “f*** you”. Loved it.

RayRay10 and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He's a great coach. He's just not a flexible coach once his gameplan is in place. He has great ideas but he seems to just stick with those ideas even as they don't work. His rotations were garbage and his refusal to open the rotation up during meaningless games cost us on countless occasions. In the end, his tenure was a little better than McHale's but not much better. It shows that Harden is good enough to carry coaches to a good regular season but Harden needs a true scholar to get over the proverbial hump.

Sam Cassel could be that option.
    Chris Finch could be that option.
    Dave Joerger could be that option.
    Kenny Atkinson could be that option.
    Stephen Silas could be that option.

If I had to guess it's going to be Ty Lue or JVG. I don't think they are the guys to get him over the hump. Mark Jackson will cement his legacy as never winning anything.

#87 treyk3, Sep 13, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Dort wouldn't have played under MDA because he's a rookie. He would have had a good game then he would have been benched.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Forget Lue, Joeger, etc. Tilman is going to hire someone with ZERO market value so he can get him on a cheap contract.

Look for a desperate re-tread or a relative unknown.

mikol13 likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

based on what? you're still stuck with the same players with the same problems

the next coach doesn't actually get on the court and play

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

His system wins a lot of games.

MDA is the Kubiak of the NBA.

Kubiak is the same kind of guy. He runs his west coast offense, that's what he does. He won't do anything different and the reason he won is because he was actually really good at finding guys to play in that system.

MDA COULD win if given the perfect players. If he had Harden and an elite stretch big and nothing but shooters around them, he could win.

But he has to be in the right situation for it.

We see what happens when he doesn't have the right system though with NYK and LAL. He's a system guy, he has his style of ball and that's what he'll put out there no matter what. He's also really good with PGs, he made Lin look like an all-star only for us to get tricked into bringing him here lol.

RayRay10, snowconeman22 and amaru like this.
  12. HP3

HP3 Member

Man if you are good enough, you play that's how i see it with Mike. Dort would have made an immediate impact on guarding super star players....like even at this point, does it matter man? Both of those guys lost their jobs. So they clearly didnt think Billy Donovan was worth it.

13. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Never developed players and clearly doesn’t have a strong eye for player attributes and scouting.

He really did have a lot of weaknesses.

14. amaru

amaru Member

ala Hartenstein

15. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Harden won’t allow that. He wants a players coach so he can $@& around!

16. JW86

JW86 Member

Well that was quick indeed, but at least has my attention and a sense of relief. Feel a bit bad for him though, yet at the same time wonder if he was actually not fully engaged since he felt under appreciated and had one foot out the door anyway. I think Mike is a great person, he seems a lot of fun, and I'm sure he was once a great innovator and went all-in on Morey's approach, but is also a dinosaur and a stubborn man who stuck with his ways that while frustrating in a way I have to respect. You have to believe in something and cannot deny he really tried to win despite all the criticism.

While great in the regular season given what he had to work with, in the end, he was just not good enough or maybe arrogant enough to adapt in the play-offs. His players let him down too, make no mistake, and we got bad luck with some injuries as well. I have no doubt in my mind actually if it weren't for the referees, we would've won the trophy in 2018 or at least made the Finals. But again, going 0-27 and not adjusting didn't help.

All in all, cannot fully judge all of this without knowing the role Harden and Morey, maybe even Westbrook, played in his coaching but I do know it was 100% time to move on. For both sides. MDA was not given the players to maximise the system and the players did not get a coach who gave the players the minutes and rest to get the best out of themselves (at times). Thanks Mike, you were a standup guy, but at this time I am happy knowing you won't be back.

MettaWorldPete and LonghornFan like this.
  17. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Thank God. Does this mean the end of small ball too? I’m so sick of our games relying on 30 made 3’s to win. It’s so on dimensional.

WestendMassive, DJboutit and juanm34 like this.
  18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I mean, it was obviously going to happen. Total cluster ****. It’s amazing they got as far as they did under the circumstances. It was fun, but was always a long shot. I wish him well!

juanm34, RayRay10 and daywalker02 like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Arrivederci.

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

I honestly don’t think Dort would’ve got PT. House, Roco, and Tucker can shoot. A rookie that can’t shoot is as close as it gets to the type of player that would never see the floor under MDA.

RayRay10 and JayGoogle like this.