1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WTF Netflix] Cuties

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Sep 12, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And that is your right.

I just for the life of me can't understand why this movie is drawing this much ire.

You got Ted Cruz and Mike Lee condemming it.

Where the hell have they been the last 10 years?

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/202...cuties-for-allegedly-sexualizing-young-girls/

https://www.ksl.com/article/5001653...-federal-investigation-of-netflix-film-cuties

Don't they know there constituency makes up a lot of these pageant participants.

https://www.google.com/search?
    q=preeteen+pageants+in+Texas&oq=preeteen+pageants+in+Texas&aqs=chrome..69i57.8641j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?ei=lB...hUKEwjx-eq2puTrAhVDnq0KHVdfD7kQ4dUDCA0&uact=5

dmoneybangbang and Xerobull like this.
  2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

You are missing the point. Murders/rapes are common. That doesn't justify making a snuff film (i.e. filming an actual murder/rape) to show how bad it is.

Just like you wouldn't have people actually shoot up heroin in a film about the perils of drug addiction.

The simple act of subjecting preteens to this, whether for an artistic film or not, is morally abhorrent.

It's the same reason they have "no animals were harmed in the making of this film" in the credits.[/QUOTE]

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

you posted like 3-4 articles defending it, did some whataboutism on dance moms, called out redstates, given opinion that the "ire" and "being singled out" is not justified.

I don't think you can claim to be some neutral arbitrator. This is 100% just because people you hate are angry about the movie. Congrats.

JumpMan likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If you say so.:rolleyes:

I see you did not read what I posted and I only posted 1 article defending the movie the other was just a straight review.

So you have no issue with Dance Moms and other shows like like this but this movie is evil.

I see you got your talking points this morning.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Haven't seen the movie but find this explanation to be bullshit. from the clips in that youtube video, the director did not intend anyone to feel disgusted while watching. Does the film portray all the horrors and consequences of doing this to a kid? does it show what these kids are like as adults? doesn't seem like it, but correct me if i'm wrong. Why would you have 2-3 minute long sexualized dance sequences with the kids happy and laughing to upbeat music to show the horrors of sexualizing kids?

JumpMan likes this.
  6. swedish-olajuwon

What the hell, mother ****ing SWAMP ASS Covington is so trash.

7. swedish-olajuwon

Can he make one freaking single play????

conquistador#11 likes this.
  8. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

VDFxs.gif

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Murder/rape is a crime. Young girls dancing in a sexually suggestive manner is not.

You could certainly argue that it is immoral to film something that is sexually exploiting little girls. But where is the line that defines when it becomes sexual exploitation? Little Miss Sunshine depicted a little girl in a beauty pageant wearing costumes and doing dance routines that most of us would consider inappropriate for that age. Was it morally abhorrent for depicting this?

This movie appears to be depicting things that are in a zone where for some people (probably most Americans) it is simply out of bounds, and for others (perhaps most Europeans?) it is "uncomfortable" but within the bounds of legitimate artistic expression. To get an accurate impression of what the movie was about and whether it crosses the line, one should probably just watch the movie and not simply a compilation of the most controversial parts out of context.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The show is terrible -- director could have made his point without all the creepy bullshit, but the Qanon bros breathlessly freaking out about it (after watching it 5 times) is somewhat amusing.

Rashmon and conquistador#11 like this.
  11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The director is female and the script draws from her experience a refugee, if that makes a difference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maïmouna_Doucouré

"She penned the script for her debut feature film Cuties in early 2017 taking her life experience as a refugee girl into account. The script eventually won the Sundance's Global Filmmaking Award in 2017.[6] The film is based on a traditional Senegalese Muslim girl who is caught and torn between two contrasting fortunes, traditional values and internet culture while also speaking about hypersexualization of preadolescent girls.[7][8] It premiered in the World Cinema Dramatic Competition sector of 2020 Sundance Film Festival on 23 January 2020 and won the Directing Jury Award praising the script of the film.[9][10]"

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I see your point. Salient argument.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

She may have started the project with the best intentions, but the execution is lacking.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  14. CCorn

CCorn Member

I don’t be watching it. Strange that the ones b****ing about this show were likely the target demo.

dmoneybangbang and jiggyfly like this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So once again you expect somebody to take what you think seriously when you are basing what you think on film clips that were given no context.

Watch the actual movie and then you can answer those questions.

It's amazing you have all of this ire when you cannot even answer the questions you have about the film.

Talk about bullshit.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

See this is where I have most of the issue with it is not out of bounds by most americans these type of dance competitions and pageants are happening every weekend somewhere in america.

Honey boo boo is a thing because shows, showing this where so popular on the discovery channel.

Toddlers and Tiaras ran for 3 years and none of these people said a peep.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This makes complete sense.

18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

'why don't you spend two hours out of your day watching (and therefore supporting) what is probably kiddie p*rn?' Because i don't want to. the synopsis and clips are enough for me to make a judgement.

Next time don't post a bullshit justification for this garbage film.

19. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You're doing the same thing, aren't you? Or have you watched it?

Usually, in these types of discussions especially where issues of morality are concerned, there are two basic groups of people: those who ask why and those who as why not.

It is strange that the movie has the rating it has.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What am I doing?

If you have read the entire thread I have made no assumption on what this movie is or is not doing because I have not seen it, my issue is why are people judging the movie on clips randomly selected?

I have no idea what your morality quote is supposed to mean or how it has anything to do with this discussion.

Morality is usually in the eye of the beholder and I have not weighed in on if this movie is moral or not because I have not seen it.

plutoblue11 likes this.