1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Ringer] Kevin O'Connor Mad At Harden, Thinks MDA Sucks At His Job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DreamShook, Sep 11, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not a poor comparison at all. Harden 1st 3 seasons he was a rotation player, Kobe was a day one starter and describing Kobe's early play as atrocious is actually more disingenuous. 3 point era began in 1979 just a FYI.

And kudos for using a real word like disingenuous and spelling it correctly by the way.

But let's use True Shooting instead of FG% so comparing apples to apples.

Playoff True Shooting %:
    Durant 59.7
    Harden 58.4
    James 58.1
    Jordan 56.8
    Bryant 54.1

FG% is not accurate in measuring scoring efficiency in the 3-point era since 3 > 2.

#161 D-rock, Sep 11, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    HP3 likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Why would you compare ts% with players in different eras?

Kawhi Lenored has a higher ts% than Jordan. Does that make him better at scoring?

He'll I'm sure Damian Lillard has a higher ts% than Kobe in the playoffs. Does that make Lillard better at scoring than Kobe?

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Do you understand what True Shooting % means?

Serious question.

No one has said that Kawhi is a better scorer than MJ.

4. fchowd0311

Yes its a scoring efficiency metric that takes into account weight of 3s and 2s and uses a .44 multiplier to account for fta possessions.

There is a reasons by ts% has been increasing for the past 10 years.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Exactly, it is a metric to measure shooting efficiency.

And using league average TS% as comparison would give a bit of boost to less modern era players.

TS% is a tool but you still have to know how to apply it properly.

6. fchowd0311

Yes and it benefits modern players who take a lot more 3s. Also I want to see the league average ftr per year. I wouldn't be surprised if it's been steadily increasing.

7. HP3

HP3 Member

D-rock likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

When your team is so reliant on you due to a heliocentric offense, defenses probably will not expend max energy for all 4 quarters shading Harden off ball. They'll leave that for the 4th. His previous 3 quarters becomes irellevent as soon as teams just put some effort to deny him the ball, he essentially becomes a useless body on the court. And because of his stationaryness his gravity is diminished as teams can easily recover off of double teams. Because of this the Rockets are very similar to the Bucks were they absolutely need a 10+ pt lead heading into the 4th because they are autrocous during crunch time situations.

I just don't know why you can't accept this criticism of him. Do I still think he's a top 25 player of all time? Yes. He still has critical flaws that makes him near non-existent the most crucial moments in a game.

Trust me... Defenses wished they could so easily deny players like Jordan the ball in crunch time situations. They know they can't because he'll easily free them with some off ball sprinting and using screens.

9. HP3

HP3 Member

Lol are you seriously saying teams are not trying for 3 quarters.... lol, this was my mistake. I shoundt have tried to reason with you. Only one quarter matters hahaha.

I accept criticism of him....he's not the reason we are losing, its part of it, but its not the main reason. AND LOOK AT THE HARDEN ONLY LINEUPS FOR THE LAST TIME.

10. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Agree with the video 100%. Not enough diversity in this offense. All of the analysis and trends the offense is based on don't hold up in the playoffs.

Rudyc281 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  11. fchowd0311

No I'm saying they shad Harden off ball sporadically and double down on it in the 4th.

Harden on ball will get doubled when he holds on to the ball for 10-16 seconds waiting for the double. That will happen regardless of quarter.

Shading off ball players takes energy though not as much with Harden as he slow walks everywhere in most cases.

12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I like how you're just making things up. Very bold.

Hand-checking was disallowed in the mid-2000's in an effort to increase scoring. After that, it became a lot easier for perimeter players.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I publish papers using statistics in world journals. You know what I think when I see these noobs posting stats that clearly don’t line up with reality? Context...it matters. Stats are useless without it. People mine databases and find stuff that’s statistically significant all the time and end up getting laughed at by editors. There are too many people here that cherry pick to reaffirm their warped reality rather than refine it. They ignore context and every tenant of statistics/mathematics.

People making the point harden is a better scorer than Kobe or MJ should give up basketball all together.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  14. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

15. HP3

HP3 Member

LMAO yea your posting really reflects that. MOAR MIRDANGE. Sheesh, TS% isnt some mind blowing advanced statistic, neither is Player impact metrics. Dude's who know way more about the game than you do use those very same metrics.haha.
    Througout games 2-4 he's been shaded/doubled the whole time, you do not know what you are talking about. Stop...you are even trying to say the Lakers arent trying for 3 quarters....god....your analysis is poor.

D-rock likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

Man you sound like a freshman STEM student.

17. HP3

HP3 Member

Well when you dont have any facts..this is what you resort to. I'm glad to know you can't back up what you say...like always. Single minded as always, bad analysis as always. Stay you bro :D

D-rock likes this.
  18. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Listen, you couldn’t understand why @JayGoogle or @fchowd0311 , who actually happen to be in opposite sides of the argument both couldn’t converse with you. You’re way too emotional / immature man. Gotta use logic, take a look at reality and then try to explain it. You’re doing the reverse. It’s just not how things, especially scoentific advancement occur, yet alone b-ball.

dmoneybangbang and fchowd0311 like this.
  19. fchowd0311

You are beating up strawmen. I said the Lakers don't shade Harden off ball every possession on the first 3 quarters. It's sporadic. He gets doubled in the first three quarters usually when he holds on to the ball for 10-15 seconds and the defenses then decide to double. When it comes to the 4th is when they will always shade Harden and obviously again, Harden makes it easy to be taken out of the game relative to other nba guards.

20. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Beat me to it , usually when you make the same impression on everyone..

fchowd0311 likes this.