1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Springer

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by raining threes, Sep 9, 2020.

1. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

I think Springer will leave. Not just for the money but to get away from the cheating scandal. Some reported that he’s not handling the cheating scandal well. Imagine if he’s playing in front of fans on the road. If it’s getting to him now, I can’t imagine what kind of pressure he will have to entire if he stay with Astros. Maybe it’s best for both side that he signed somewhere else. At least we get a draft pick out of him. I feel like JV is another that will leave just to get away from Astros cheating scandal once he’s a FA. I feel bad for Breg and Altuve, who will have the take the brunt of the verbal abuse on the road.

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Hard to know the minds of players unless they speak them. Yuli spoke his and wants to return is all I know for sure.

everyday eddie likes this.
  3. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Correct, Yuli has said many times that he wanted to return. I don’t remember hearing that from Springer.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If, and a big if, but if Springer does leave and it comes out that the scandal fallout is a big part of the reason, then I would label Springer a coward for not being a man and standing by his teammates for consequences he surely played a part in creating to begin with.

That goes for any other player that leaves mostly for the same reason that played a part in 2017 (not picking on Springer).

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If the Astros offer the most years/money and he still turns it down, that's the only way you can truly blame the "scandal".

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If a player, in this hypothetical discussion, quoted Springer as saying he left because of it, that would be enough for me.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ok... but money still tends to be the difference maker when talking about FA decisions. That and no-trade clauses.

In my mind, if he was truly fed-up with being here regardless of contract, he'd more than likely opt out or nurse some of these injuries even longer. He's clearly a gamer and while frustrated that injuries have impacted this short season, still continues to play through it and his metrics are continuing to improve each week he's out there.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

For perfect clarity, his position isn't clear. :D

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's a gamer. He's not going to let contract stuff get in his way on the field.

10. msn

msn Member

I still wonder if Springer felt about by the service time games the Astros played back in 2013 (was it '13?). Of course, these games were the industry standard practice, but that doesn't mean the players like it.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Wouldn't be a pretty epic fail in strategy if the manipulations that gained us a year or two of his services ended up costing us 5 or 6 if he doesn't resign because of it.

12. Major

Major Member

Yesterday, you said players sometimes make decisions for other reasons than money and instead about pursuing their own happiness. If getting away from the scandal is part of his happiness, is he pursuing important things in life or is he a coward?

It seems a lot like you want him to do what's best for you (stay with Astros, take less money) rather than what's best for him.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Yes, I did say about that. I recently also questioned the idea about signing another position player (Springer) long term given we already have two (Altuve/Bregman) because I think we need some pitching long term assets as well.

As far as what is best for Springer, I have no idea.

So as far as what is best for me, your calculus needs to take in all that I have said on the subject, not just two quotes.

What my overall opinion on Springer staying and signing or not is, I am mixed about. So you will likely see both posts that make it seem I am for it and others against. So try not to draw conclusions because I am not sure myself.

-------------- ----------------- ------------------ ------------------- ------------------- ----------------- -----------------

Its really not a good idea to throw someones opinions back at them unless you have done pretty thorough research.

TWS1986 likes this.
  14. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I'm not directing this at any specific player, but...The kind of player who cheats is the same kind of player who bolts at the first chance to escape scrutiny/adversity.

Cheating is the easy way, that's kind of the point.