1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Do You Expect Harden To Do?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownrox1, Sep 11, 2020.

1. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harden let’s refs get into his head... the first kickball that wasn’t called - it ruined his mood.. you can see how he stood there and held arms out.

I feel like that GS series with all the missed calls and then the Rockets finding out - has gotten him to the no matter what I do y’all going to call the game in Lakers favor so .. why try

Rocket River and Zoplicone like this.
  2. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Christ look at that first play. You’re less than 5 minutes in and he’s by far the last one down the court off a turnover.
    It can happen sometimes. But that’s Harden almost every play when he doesn’t have the ball

javal_lon likes this.
  3. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

3 fouls in first 14 mins of play will take you out the game...

4. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Show some passion. Pound his chest. Tap his head when he messes up. Chase down a block. Say **** it and shoot the mid-range elbow

5. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You're right that it's not all on him. But it's also frustrating that doubling him completely neutralizes him and makes you forget he's on the court. This is a combination of him, his teammates, and the coaching, it's hard to know which one to blame because we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. I tend to agree with you that it's mostly coaching, but we don't really know.

The issue is how they respond to the double teams. First, Harden is sometimes slow to recognize it, and doesn't pass out of the double team until he's picked up his dribble, has two defenders in his face, and is pivoting around trying to find a teammate to pass it to. By this point you've already screwed it up, it's too late. Ideally, you need to make a quick, decisive, accurate pass RIGHT as the double is coming. Second, that pass needs to be to someone who is an effective playmaker - I don't even know that we have the proper personnel for this one, but I think Russ is the best option. Then Russ needs to be good enough to pick apart the 4 on 3 situation before the defense can recover.

The second issue, and this is going into "blame Harden for everything" territory, is that Harden won't do anything productive after he's doubled. He gets doubled, he passes the ball, then he stands still 30+ feet out from the play. There is no way this is the best way for him to play. I don't know exactly what the best option is here, whether its for him to cut, or get off ball screens, or even just stand still ON the three point line. I just know that standing still near halfcourt is not the best way to do this.

It shouldn't be this easy to turn one of the best offensive players of all time into a total non factor. You can't just say "ahh yeah well they doubled him, we lose, better luck next year." Maybe my suggestions are all stupid and bad, that's fine, I'm not a coach, nobody is paying me millions to figure this stuff out. But someone should be able to figure it out. It should not be this easy to totally eliminate someone as good as Harden.

manlisten and Downtown Sniper like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He gets blocked too often if he posts up offensively. Better than nothing I guess.

Defensively he does a good job definitely.

I wonder how they could advertise a slimmed down Jimmy when he is still slow in his movements.

7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I've never been one to place the blame solely on his shoulders.

To my brothers and friends who watch the NBA, i've always defended him.

But when things continue to happen, at some point you've got to stop what you're doing and ask the hard questions.

Sometimes when things look like a lemon, they're really just a lemon, no matter how many times in the past we've tried to spin it as an orange.

Running Dwight out of town. 100% behind Harden. Running Paul out of town? Sure he's got a bad rep. But that's not a good look for Harden. Especially now since it resulted in the future of this franchise being decimated.

If he wants to win and he knows what to do... why doesn't he give the ball up now and again? Why doesn't he get his ass off the ball and moving to confuse the defense?

Harden is an amazing talent who I think has been robbed of at least one other MVP trophy, but a spade is a spade. He is not going to win a championship for us plain and simple, as hurtful as that is to acknowledge. His play style and his demeanour just will not allow it unfortunately.

manlisten and dmoneybangbang like this.
  8. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

It's absolutely mind blogging that a player that ignores ankle sprains that would shelf most players for a couple of weeks is not more mentally tough when things are not going his way. To make things worse, we know Harden is a smart player, so maybe the fire and fight just isn't there?

We can't expect every great Rockets player to have a Hakeem mentality. I don't think so.

heypartner and Downtown Sniper like this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It is crazy to me and has always been crazy to me that we do not use him more off ball. It's possible, we see it sometimes, but not nearly often enough.

Should have made Nurse the Head Coach when we had the chance.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yes I remember saying that and then people told me during the restart that he’s clearly playing more off the ball and pointed to highlights and shut me up. I wonder what’s more guilty, the coaching or him not getting into position.

JayGoogle likes this.
  11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I expect him to aniticipate the double team and pass out of it without turning it over 5 times per game. I expect him to call for help bringing the ball up the court against pressure if Rondo is going to strip him every game for an automatic 2 points. Lakers get like 8 points per game off of those mistakes. Other than that, he's playing well enough on offense to win - it's the other players that aren't.

Nook, Hakeemtheking and HP3 like this.
  12. HP3

HP3 Member

Yup, people are talking about the wrong things. Harden's really lazy turnovers are what you should be criticizing him for. They just see 2-11 without noticing that the guy went to the line and 20 Fts.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I know you're frustrated. I am too. But that play isn't an example of what you're saying. The fastest player in the NBA just got the ball right next to you, and you want to try to sprint in front of him or along side him? When 3 other players are already released out ahead of the play?

btw: focus on Lebron when he doesn't have the ball. Check it out next game. He does employ the stand around 30' ft out to let Rondo or AD go 4 on 4 strategy ... A LOT

whiskeyred, James.B.H and HP3 like this.
  14. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I'm not happy when Harden drives into the lane and misses a contested floater or layup, but I understand it. I'm not angry in those moments either. I'm stupified that Rondo stripping him bringing the ball up the court is an acceptable thing every game.

HP3 likes this.
  15. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

It’s lazy play though man. More than just turnovers. I don’t care how poorly he shot the ball or his total points. But can you honestly tell me watching him last night he Looked like he was exuding his all out effort? Would you disagree if I said he gets discouraged way too easily and when the going gets tough he doesn’t appear to fight?

dmoneybangbang and HP3 like this.
  16. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

I hope he score 60 points in next match, because he can get foul and one. Only he can save the match. MDA only use 8 man rotation it really does not have hope. Just let harden uses up all his power and let his teammates to do defence. Maybe carrol can.come out to play without making any shoot.

17. HP3

HP3 Member

He, Tucker and Covington looked noticeably bad yesterday. And guess which three guys are doing the most work defensively and offensively in Harden's case. Idk.....maybe their gassed. Or Harden is just quitting on us idk. But even his "quit" games arent even that bad, he had 22 points and 10 assists. I'm disappointed with him too, but I'm more disappointed that we havent found out a way to deal with a trap and turnovers.

18. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yeah I mean it’s definitely easy for us posters to criticize not knowing what it actually takes. Just seems like what you’re disappointed in, not finding ways to deal with a trap for example, can be easier to deal with if Harden was more aggressive when he doesn’t have the ball. The turnovers? Maybe if he was more focused. Russ’ turnovers are the worst but at least he’s doing them because he’s running all out (of control). Harden’s just going to casually try to sneak a pass and if it doesn’t work out oh well.

Just venting here. Can’t believe I thought we stood a chance in this series. It’ll be hard to convince me Harden hasn’t checked out already and is thinking about what he’s going to do after leaving the bubble.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  19. JW86

JW86 Member

The excuses for Harden are getting tiresome. Yes it's not just on him, but he needs to be held accountable. His effort, recognition of the double-team, play and movement off the ball, playing with a sense of urgency, dealing with referees and non-calls, dealing with physical (94 feet) defense and allowing other players to initiate the offense are all parts that deserve to put under the loop and to a degree criticised as all parts are definitely problematic.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I expect him to be the best scorer in the NBA in the regular season and then no show in a pivotal playoff game next year.

dmoneybangbang and CK Johnson like this.