1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justice Department wants to defend Trump in E. Jean Carroll defamation lawsuit

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Sep 8, 2020.

1. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

the right loves getting taken advantage of, they will gladly pay for their dear leader’s defense if they have to

Steve Bannon was just the latest to get caught swindling them, and there was no outcry or denunciation from them

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Freaking insane. Republicans driving our country into oblivion one step at a time with a smile on their faces.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Somehow, somehow, these headlines keep shocking me. I should be inured to the crazy **** the Trump admin keeps pulling but it's always a surprise how they keep nibbling away at our country.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

But now the William Barr Department of Justice for Donald Trump, and only Donald Trump, is stepping in to take over Trump’s defense with a claim even more extraordinary than Trump’s own: When Trump denied raping a woman in a dressing room, demeaned her appearance, and called her a liar he was “acting in his official capacity as president.” If the DOJ can find a judge who agrees, not only can Trump be defended at taxpayer expense, the case could be summarily dismissed.

tmoney1101 and RayRay10 like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

“The filing asked the court to designate the United States, rather than Trump, as the defendant in Carroll's defamation suit and to move the case from state to federal court. Federal officials are generally immune from charges of defamation. If the DOJ's filing is successful, it would effectively bring Carroll's case to an end.”

So, is this not effectively saying that the orange man’s personal behaviors = America?

joshuaao, FrontRunner and RayRay10 like this.
  10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

More likely end game here is to delay discovery until after the election.

11. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

That’s the plan. To wear the nation down with scandal after scandal. I think that’s why his numbers are starting to rise. His base just sees it as democrats constantly attacking him but in reality all of these things merit outrage.

joshuaao, deb4rockets and RayRay10 like this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How is this even Constitutional?

No Worries and RayRay10 like this.
  13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

If Dems win the presidency and the Senate, there better be a major DOJ reform bill. All US Attorneys (and lower level attorney roles) need to be converted to career civil servant roles instead of appointed positions and new rules need to be written to clarify the role of the AG and the DOJ in relation to the presidency. A lot of this has operated based on convention but clearly the role of the DOJ needs to be codified in law.

A parallel example is how the FBI was reformed to prevent another J Edgar Hoover scenario. The DOJ needs the same types of reforms.

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I completely agree. What we've found with this Presidency is how much Constitutional norms relied upon tradition and self-restraint.

15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Then his base are idiots. How can they not see this guy is a criminal? He's hiding far too much crap to be innocent, and getting away with it. Where is the real justice?

tmoney1101 and RayRay10 like this.
  16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

All the President has to do, if he does as he damn well pleases, is to tell the two co-equal branches of government “Make me.”

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am upset there is nothing I can do to stop this blatant misuse of government and that despite all this **** Trump still has a 30% chance of winning the election. I am upset that his chances are so high because the electoral college is disproportionately weighted toward a handful of swing states and my vote is worth less than a person living in a swing state or a rural state. I am upset at his sycophants in the federal government and media. I am upset at his supporters who empower him despite all the lies and corruption. 54 more days until the election. I am blocking the usual suspects and just going to hold my breath until the final electoral vote is tallied.

@RayRay10
    @NewRoxFan
    @Carl Herrera
    @Nook
    @Buck Turgidson
    @bobrek
    @SamFisher
    @deb4rockets
    @KingCheetah

and anyone else I may have missed, thank you for your contributions to the D&D.

#17 Ubiquitin, Sep 9, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  18. edwardc

edwardc Member

He should be disbarred for even thinking that this is a good idea

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I understand your sense of frustration but even if you live in Texas you can do something. You can donate to campaigns or organizational like the Lincoln Project. There are close races Senate races you can donate too. While it’s a stretch Biden can win Texas or that Heger can defeat Cornyn there are House races that are close that you can contribute and volunteer to.

20. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

And, if you aren't crazy about giving to a party or candidate, I recommend giving to voting rights organizations. I joined the local chapter of League of Women's Voters (they take men too) and started donating to them recently.