1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Insomnia

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Sep 8, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have always had trouble sleeping When I was younger I could not fall asleep and now I can fall asleep pretty easily but cannot stay asleep.

For the last 2 weeks I have waking between 2 and 4 after falling asleep about 11 I have to get up at 6:30 and have trouble getting back to sleep, I am continually tired during the day and its affecting me mentally.

I have been using pm pain relievers of and on forever and they don't seem to work and have used prescription ambien but I still wake up too early.

I have the time release Ambien I think but I need something else these bought of Insomnia can last for months what can I do?

Maybe I should try St Johns Wort again?

TWS1986 likes this.
  2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I use ambien occasionally. But nothin beats weed imo. Actually just picked up some some new edibles at the store with melatonin added. Works pretty good. Lots of brands are catered specifically to sleeping needs

VanityHalfBlack and Andre0087 like this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

A line of cocaine to chill.

Xerobull and Andre0087 like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

The chug & tug...slam a beer and rub one out.

But seriously, have you tried melatonin?

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

As someone who has basically zero clinical knowledge...

How about waking up super early (whatever that would be by your standards) and immediately doing a good workout. Then try to have an active day and eat healthy foods. Drink water. Avoid uppers or downers of any kind.

You will probably still struggle to stay asleep for the first few nights, but eventually your body will be so worn out that it will need the sleep badly enough to make you sleep through the night.

This recommendation is based on a story I heard from a guy who had a very similar-sounding issue. It worked for him after a lifetime of sleep issues.

Again, however, I want to state that I am not a clinical person and I don't know about any other health issues you have that might complicate the situation.

You might want to contact a hospital with a sleep lab. If you're in the Houston area, Memorial Hermann has a sleep lab. Might help to talk to professionals about this.

Yung-T and jiggyfly like this.
  6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

My mom was an insomniac when I was a kid. she would take sleeping pills and drink and kept losing jobs because of it. Then she started smoking pot to go to sleep and that did the trick for her. She eventually gave up the booze and pills... then years later gave up the pot.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

jiggy, I think you're a teacher, right? This kind of 2-4 a.m. waking happens to me a lot in the first couple of months of a school year. More non-clinical advice:

* some kind of before bed routine. Stretching, deep breathing maybe. (Or, uh, Buck's suggestion.)
    * when I'm having the waking, monkey-mind thing, I make sure I sit and write a lot about what's on my mind before I try to go to sleep. I swear it tricks my subconscious into thinking I have a handle on everything. I think our brains wake us up after a minimal amount of sleep b/c they're all like "hey, you still have a lot of **** to figure out." But you can show your brain, "I know you're worried about this. I'm acknowledging it."
    * definitely get up and eat something or get a glass of milk or pull a Buck when you're awake for 10 minutes or so. Once you start worrying about not sleeping, I'm convinced it makes it worse. I'm amazed but even reading a few pages of a book or something can help.

Yung-T and TWS1986 like this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

This is what I was going to say but you already said it better than I could. Get some exercise early in the day though. If you continue to do it and work out harder as you continue you will be able to sleep.

9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Does not work I have never gotten sleepy by ingesting it just makes my brain active.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Tried that and it worked at 1st but no longer.

12. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Benadryl?

boomboom likes this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This makes sense and it did start once school started up and I am all ready behind with some stuff.

Will try this, monkey-mind is a good description it used to stop me from going to sleep but it changed.

I have been thinking of doing something like this and going to gym before work but I think i would be exhuasted at work before my sleep patterns changed.

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Heroin works like a charm.

Honestly, if you are waking up in the middle of the night, most of these pharmaceutical ideas won't do anything for you. The best would be the extended release Ambien you already have, which will keep you knocked out, but you won't get REM sleep so even though you don't wake up, you'll probably still be sleepy. If I take something chemical to sleep, I often wake in about 3 or 4 hours - right when the drugs have been cleared from my system. Are you waking in the middle of the night after taking drugs?

Is your schedule regular? Rotating day night schedules can have this effect. Melatonin works great for this.

Do you wake up worrying? If you go to sleep worrying about all the stuff you have to do it can result in waking. You might need to work on letting that stuff go before you sleep. It can help to make sure your sleep spot is dark and quiet and you only go there when you are ready to sleep - don't work/watch TV/check email, facebook, and twitter in bed.

Do you wake up having to pee really badly? You might have prostate issues, and need to see a urologist.

Don't drink caffeine or alcohol or really take any other drugs anywhere near to bedtime. Set a cut off time (6 or 7pm) and nothing after that at all, ever.

Blah, blah, blah. There is all kinds of behavioral advice you can find on a million websites and it sucks because it requires actual effort on your part to change behavior. But that's where you are.

Also, from like the age of 20 onward, people's need for sleep shrinks. People in their 60's and 70's require significantly less sleep than a 20 year old.

#14 Ottomaton, Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    TWS1986 and IBTL like this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Could be...what position do you sleep in, jiggly?

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sigh. Stupid spelleng checkir.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

my internet opinion is it seems like thc gummys is more 'healthy' than ambien.

you hear ambien listed in toxicology death reports enough that is scares me past limited. also if you drink at all the 2 are not a good mix.

are you in houston area

18. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

You've gotten some pretty good non-medical advice so far. My battle with insomnia has been a decade + in the making, and no significant end in sight. I hope yours ends up getting better man.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

boomboom and IBTL like this.
  20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

good one.
    tearing off tights with my teeth

8 min version is always around for me

boomboom and tinman like this.