1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USC Professor suspended for saying Chinese word that starts with N

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Sep 6, 2020.

?

Was USC Professor out of line ?

1. 0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 没有

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

"Recently, a USC faculty member during class used a Chinese word that sounds similar to a racial slur in English. We acknowledge the historical, cultural and harmful impact of racist language," the statement read.

Patton "agreed to take a short term pause while we are reviewing to better understand the situation and to take any appropriate next steps."

Another instructor is temporarily teaching the class.

USC is now "offering supportive measures to any student, faculty, or staff member who requests assistance." The school is "committed to building a culture of respect and dignity where all members of our community can feel safe, supported, and can thrive."

@Os Trigonum @rocketsjudoka

#1 tinman, Sep 6, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"USC is now "offering supportive measures to any student, faculty, or staff member who requests assistance."

[​IMG]

@Reeko

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Yao almost got his ass kicked by Mobley for saying that N word to Colin Pine when they speak Chinese.

4. Buck Turgidson

Patton "agreed to take a short term pause while we are reviewing to better understand the situation and to take any appropriate next steps."

Some people have not yet learned how highlighting works.

RayRay10 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Whitey needs to learn to read the room. Sounded more like "*****" than "nuga" or "neiga", but who cares amirite...I'm blaming our Ugly American culture that takes pride in one-language guud.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

RayRay10 and tinman like this.
  6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

A guy got in trouble for using English before too: "*****rdly."
    America pays the price of being idiotic.

P.S. The Chinese is transliterated "na ge"
    那个

daywalker02 and tinman like this.
  7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Better than when the French pres' wife said in English "Everyone wants a penis" [happiness]

#7 sirbaihu, Sep 7, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    deb4rockets and tinman like this.
  8. sw847

sw847 Member

Guys a thing that have bugged me over the years, why is that African americans are ready to go to war over the use of the n word even in instances like this one where people know it’s not on purpose or with racist intent. Even to the extent of counseling. but will use it themselves proudly, to the point where whole songs use the n word at the end of every verse.

As a Chinese growing up in nz, I hated people calling me “chink”, got into a lot of fights over it (nz can be quiet racist). I would not use the word, or accept other Chinese using it knowing that it’s a derogatory term.

Guys, I am by no means trying to find an excuse for using the n word. I ****en hate racists, no matter the skin color. I know all too well the hardships of being on the receiving end of racism. I am sincerely asking here. So if I did offend u, I apologize up front

9. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

That pronunciation might be what got him in trouble. The right way of saying it is either with Na, or Nay, instead of ni

But a second language is hard so will reserve judgement.

deb4rockets, RayRay10 and tinman like this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It could also be different way to pronounce the same word, which is pretty common in all languages.

What if there is a foreign word that sounds exactly like the n or other off limit words?

11. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Point was that the proper way of saying that word is Na which is what one would've learned studying a second language. Using Nay is instead of Na is common in China though so that can be fair. But going full N word is not done, and the bad pronunciation can be intentional.

That said, when learning a second language, one tends to link it to sound like words in their native vocabulary so that might be what happened here.

#11 wizkid83, Sep 7, 2020
    deb4rockets, RayRay10 and tinman like this.
  12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Understood. I hope it’s not intentional.

As for my other comment on the what if scenario - if there is a word that sounds exactly the same, then it’s unfortunate but I hope people would not go as far as saying you can’t use it.

When I first read about this, I thought that’s what happen - that you can’t even use foreign word that sounds like the n word. I very much disagree with that.

13. adoo

adoo Member

"Nai Ga" is the Chinese word he was pronouncing.

"Nig ger" is the derrogatory N word.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I don’t think a Black person got offended by this. A Chinese person reported the professor.

15. adoo

adoo Member

you know this, because of what ?

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. adoo

adoo Member

Cat now works for Fox Radio in the LA/SD area, AM 570. he and the sports talk show host, Steve Hartman, were talking about this fake controversy at USC,
    w specific references to his interactions w Yao and Pine. in their communication, Yao and Pine used "Nai Ga" frequently; Kat thought he heard "nig ga"

Cat has come to understand that it is a communication filler, meaningless, indigenous to the Chinese culture,

a la new yorkers saying "forget about it"

fwiw, "nai ga" is a Mandarin pronounciation,
    i am from a Cantonese speaking Chinese family,
    in Cantonese, a dialect spoken by some Southerners, it is pronounced "nee Gor"

#16 adoo, Sep 7, 2020
    Buck Turgidson, malakas and RayRay10 like this.
  17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I heard it wrong. The black students consulted with a Chinese classmate, who told them that the pronunciation is different from how the professor said it.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

In this case, it's more like dumb person rocking a foreign language tattoo not knowing what it really means or having proper context. He used it to sound worldly and none of his Chinese colleagues bothered to correct him.

I'm not sure how rap music pronunciation of the n word became so traumatizing to Black students inside classes but something's gotta give.

False entitlement or victimization isn't going to feed any mouths. It will set people back though

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing there is more to this story. USC has had a lot of Chinese students and also ethnically Chinese and other faculty who speak Mandarin not to mention the whole LA area has tons of Mandarin speakers. Much of the staff, leadership and student body of USC likely would've heard those words used quite a bit with a variety of pronunciations.

I speak with more of a Taiwanese accent and the way I learned to pronounce it would be with different inflections such as asking "That one?' it would sound like "Na Ge?" Stating "This one" it would be more like "Ne Ge" which would be closer in sound to the N-word. My guess has always been that since Colin Pine lived in Taiwan for awhile his pronunciation was probably more Taiwanese like so when he said it probably sounded more jarring to Mobley especially coming from a white guy.

Fun story. I used the the story of Mobley getting offended about Yao and Mobley saying "那个" in a lecture to a business group on cross cultural misunderstanding a few years ago.

20. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

Yeah... I wonder how Russell Peters would be treated today with that joke...

tinman and RayRay10 like this.