1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did you end up being more successful than your HS classmates?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheRealist137, Aug 31, 2020.

1. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

I used to do a lot of the wedding gigs. They could be the best or the absolute worst depending on the crowds.

ima_drummer2k and TWS1986 like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

3. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

King1 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Did you go to high school with these guys?

[​IMG]

Colt45 likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Yes. I actually went all the way back to Houston from N. Ireland to go to my reunion and to spend time with some of my relatives. I went to a very good high school (Strake Jesuit) so I expected there to be some flexing. For the most part the most successful from a career stand point were those that came from the most money and were at least of average intelligence. For the most part everyone was very nice and there wasn't a lot of flexing. There were one or two that discussed their businesses but for the majority were not like that. I wasn't very popular in high school and did not have a lot of close relationships with my classmates so I did not really delve too deep with most people........ what stood out to me was how much influence high school had on who we were as people...... well at least in their case...... most still had the same values, and I again stood out as the black sheep that is used to not having any real boundaries or sense of modesty.

Mr. Brightside and TWS1986 like this.
  6. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

St. Pius X for life! ;)

Andre0087 and Nook like this.
  7. Roscoe Arbuckle

My 30th would've been this year. Obviously nothing happened. But I'd been to my 10th 20th and 25th. I actually set up our 25th because I was friends with an owner of El Big Bad and he gave us a sweetheart deal. I also went to my 20th HS reunion from folks in Valdez, Alaska. That trip was great and most plan to reset it to next year for a makeshift 31 year reunion.

Interesting Fact about that Valdez class. My HS class here was about 650. Pretty normal stuff about Bellaire, although nothing too tragic. A few deaths, a suicide, millionaires and mechanics. I will say that the hot girls in my Bellaire class are still pretty hot nowadays. But Valdez had a class of less than 30. In that class, most have done surprisingly well, but we also had a full-blown transgender and a murderer; which I've never heard of either at BHS; at least not my class.

Nook likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Can's believe it took this 30 years.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This thread reminds of a song ...

A hundred and forty-one could draw faster than he
    But Irving was looking for one forty-three

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

We played you guys in football one year (1978 maybe 1979?) and they made us take down the sign that said "Crucify the Crusaders."

We won.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Me too. What year did you graduate?

12. Nook

Nook Member

LOL They made you take it down? I think it is funny.

13. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

oh damn! I remember now. you did go to SPX. I've been on this board a bit before this reincarnation lol.

'05 :). you?

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

1976. I was on the school board the past 3 years.

TWS1986 likes this.
  15. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Nice :). Is Donaruma still around?? He taught English there for a long time.

16. Buck Turgidson

Nope

[​IMG]

17. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Did you ever stopped by Don's Sandwich on Bellaire to get some delish Vietnamese sandwiches when you went to Strake?

18. adoo

adoo Member

most surprising things i learned from my 10-yr HS reunion.

• the 2 dudes, in everyone's mind, most likely end up being criminals or in jail, became cops
    • the popular football hero, the product of an American GI / a Korean sex worker, adopted by social workers (Anglo / Latina), the only black in my HS, went on to get a degree from Stanford, had a sex change operation
    • an undocumented resident, during his high school days. ended up being a US citizen owning several restaurants and beer distributorships in Calif and Az

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Had my 10yr graduation reunion this year, I think around 24 out of 55 attended (small town, so not a lot of ppl in each class).

Was surprised to hear that a lot still live in near vicinity, I guess it's because none of us had rich parents and we came to love our region (lot of woods, traditions and celebrations), so having an okay-paying job while stile still living here was more attractive to many than doing high salary jobs in large cities.

What I noticed the most is how some are still studying or unsure about their career at age 29/30, kids nowadays get pressured into choosing what to study without any preparation or knowing where they'll really want to work later, it's a bit depressing. Several have masters and bachelors but do unqualified work because they aren't sure what to do with their lives and are stuck with their degree.

Also found it funny that the most immature and unlikely ppl got married and have kids already, while the majority is still only dating or single and has only begun their job career in the last 1-2yrs.

So overall, it was nice to see that there weren't any humble brags or arrogant brehs, but the reunion really showed how bad modern education and society prepares kids in finding their respective careers and something to strive for. Plus studying for ages and the difficult job market really pushed back the age of settling in and starting a family.

Jontro, Mr. Brightside and TWS1986 like this.
  20. Roscoe Arbuckle

My boys are about to make one run of it. One of the funniest things we did was run tape across the street with beer cans on the end. Sadly, our first one was Bellaire PD. Damn cans banged on that cruiser but we couldn't laugh.

Next one was setting fireworks in cigarettes in a parking garage. There was nothing funnier than watching cops run around a parking garage to black cat fireworks.

Oddly enough, we are doing another party on Sept.19 with DPS and Bellaire officers back in the day. I know that sounds dumb, but Bellaire is different. Everybody knows our name.

[​IMG]