1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Observations on Game 1 Rockets v Lakers 2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Xerobull, Sep 5, 2020.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yes they are different types of players, but none of what you said helps him establish position down low or take advantage of his height down low.
    It’s not an advantage for them to force it down on the block, Rockets are too strong and too long. In fact that plays right into their hands, forcing you to be one dimensional and getting out on the break from a turnover.

Xerobull and hakeem94 like this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is just flat out wrong, Shaq. This antiquated ideology is what the rockets will exploit. AD is not that type of player to begin with, he’s a finesse big.
    Rockets will body him up and have him take 10 ft jumpers and live with that.

Reeko, D-rock, Xerobull and 4 others like this.
  3. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Everything that Giannis can do, AD can do.....maybe not at Giannis' level, but good enough that it's considered part of AD's skillset. Conversely, Giannis can't do everything AD can do. And let's not understate the importance of shooting. Overall, that means AD is more skilled.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/2020.html

Look at playoff shooting and go to fg% by distance.

4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Everything I said makes it easier for him to get the ball. He doesn't need the ball down low. He's fully capable of being an impactful player 17 feet from the basket, and it's an advantage for them to have the ball in Davis' hands instead of Rondo's or Kuzma's or anyone else not named Lebron.

Xerobull likes this.
  5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I'm not talking about getting AD the ball close to the basket. 10 ft, 15 ft, 18 ft, whatever is fine.

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

Because it's easier to promote star MVP players (except Harden because he is a flopping no defense playing scrub) than promote a group of small ball playing research experiment team.

I mean look at the tv ad they ran for the game....it was just Lebron passing and shooting....not even a clip of the other team.

Xerobull likes this.
  7. TimDuncanDonaut

How dare you show JaVale with a better +/-

[​IMG]

Xerobull likes this.
  8. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I think they went away from it because he was tired. It is way harder to post up PJ Tucker and James Harden and then have to chase Westbrook around all game and perform. That’s the beauty of small ball.

D-rock and Xerobull like this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

And that's my point, not at Giannis's level, Gianns is more skilled at different aspects of the game, except shooting,therefore Giannis is more skilled. He's also more skilled defensively as well. Shooting is important, but that's the only skill AD beats him in, making him less skilled overall. AD CANNOT pass like Giannis whatsoever. Lets not act like AD being there instead of Giannis would get the Bucks a win.

Dude....https://stats.nba.com/player/203076/shooting/ I checked the numbers, he has 17 FGA from that distance over 6 games, do you know how small that sample size is? There is no way he's gonna keep that up. And...like I was saying before it was against Portland...cmon.

Xerobull likes this.
  10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

They have an inferior GM for sure.

jcf, Roc Paint, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  11. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Rockets switch defense to me is the key to winning this series. Lakers have no answer to that.

LeBron can’t find separation off pick-and-rolls because defenders just hand him off to each other without giving him an inch of daylight to drive to the basket. He is left settling for a jumpshot 18 feet away from the basket, which is exactly what the Rockets want.

AD can’t shake Tucker who is glued to him like a blood leech. Even when AD gets a favorable switch to a guard, it’s Harden or Gordon who are deceptively strong and can hold their own, but then they can also swipe the ball from AD very easily.

The rest of the Lakers struggle because the defensive rotation is tight and nobody is getting open looks. That’s why they had that atrocious 4th quarter where they couldn’t score and the Rockets blew the game wide open.

Like I said last summer, Lakers wasted salary cap going after Danny Green when instead they should have gone after Chris Paul in a trade. a playmaker point guard right now would solve a lot of the Lakers problems. LeBron could attack from the wing and elbows, and AD could feast off pick-and-roll action.

12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Shooting is the most important skill in basketball, and AD is far more skilled at it. He's the more skilled player overall.

The fact that you're arguing against this very obvious truth shows that you're arguing in bad faith.

Sure, AD may not be able to keep it up, but he was shooting GREAT against us (7-10), and then the Lakers stopped looking at him.

Actually, I do think that swapping Giannis with AD would've given the Bucks a win. Don't underestimate how badly Giannis played offensively.

Xerobull likes this.
  13. Rocketsfan3422

Pj tucker... Dude has davis all messed up

jcf, cmoak1982, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  14. TimDuncanDonaut

Adjustments are just that: tweaks. To make drastic changes or unfamiliar line up, Lakers either don't have the personnel or may fumble at trying something they haven't had practice at. Vogeul and the Lakers have to ask if they believe in their own style or change it completely.

While I think we match well, I give us maybe something like 60-40 in favor us, but they aren't going to lie down. Next few games, Refs may not call it the way they did in Game 1. We have an even if not a good chance; that comes with the effort showed in game 1. Rockets will have to take it.

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

why is shooting more important than the ability to get to the rim?

Xerobull likes this.
  16. finsraider

finsraider Member

great point about Westbrook. Russ is at his best when he’s in motion. I get nervous when he starts eyeing down a defender Harden-style above the break.

other teams want Russ to take those shots. He’s better off collapsing the D or giving up the rock in those situations.

17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Because if defenses pack the paint, it can be tough to get to the rim. You have to take what the defense gives you, and the Heat have been daring Giannis to shoot jumpers.

Xerobull likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

thanks, btw isnt that just one situation in basketball among hundreds of situations in which driving is more important eg when youre suddenly cold and you need a basket?

HP3 and Xerobull like this.
  19. wekko368

wekko368 Member

If the defense packs the paint, you can't drive. You have to rely on mid-range/perimeter shooting.

Xerobull and hakeem94 like this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

depending of how good a driver you are... sometimes i can drive even if the paint is packed...
    again this is just one situation and if the paint is packed he can throw it to the open 3pt shooter thus helping the team

HP3 and Xerobull like this.