1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Observations on Game 1 Rockets v Lakers 2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Xerobull, Sep 5, 2020.

1. j@amc

j@amc Member

It was a night and day difference to see the defensive intensity drop off from the Thunder to the Lakers. The Thunder made the Rockets work hard for every inch of the court with grabbing, pushing, elbows, shoulders, and very quick feet. And they hid all of that under a veil of "not fouling."

The Lakers haven't gone to school on all that. They probably thought they could make enough 3s, crash the boards, and get out on the break. Houston looked relieved to be playing someone else. Maybe they've grown through that experience of a seven-game series.

2. Junebball

Junebball Member

BS. AD had successes against Harden early. The Rockets made adjustments. Lakers were not trying to win narrative is foolish mainly propagated by arrogant Lakers fans today. We beat them by being scrappy defensively and MDA coached one heck of a game last night

Reeko, D-rock, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  3. topfive

topfive CF OG

It's mind-boggling that the Lakers and Bucks won so many regular season games.

The Bucks had one of the easier schedules in the league, so that definitely helped them, but the Lakers played the toughest schedule and still managed to win more than any WC team.

And like OP says, they're 2 great players and a bunch of journeymen, knuckleheads, and journeymen-knuckleheads. WTAF?

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What in the H is this crap?

luckyman76, jcf, Reeko and 5 others like this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Correction: Single game +- is worthless. Over the course of a few weeks, or months, it can be very telling.

luckyman76, Reeko, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Lol, funny I know. I used to live and die with the Rockets, but Ref bullshit and life priorities have shifted where I spend my time.

I can flip this in a friendly way:
    • Did you look at your phone even once during live action play? Probably. There are people would call you a fair weather fan for that.
    • Did you blink? If so, why didn't you get those eye-opener things like in Clockwork Orange?
    • Oh, you didn't blink? Why aren't you in the bubble then, somehow, courtside?
    • Oh, you're courtside by some great Machiavellian scheme? Well, a true fan would be in the huddles.
    • You were in the huddles? Why weren't you on the floor, bro? What's wrong with you???
    • You were on the floor? Why weren't you on the court, slacker! A true fan is a top tier player so they understand everything.
    • You were on the court? Did you start? No? Loser.
    • You started? Is your name James Harden? I didn't think so.
    • You're James Harden? Get your **** together, Harden!!!
    It's all subjective. I've watched hundreds of playoff games, thousands of regular season games.

....but it were a game 7 my family would be in the rain.

[​IMG]

#46 Xerobull, Sep 5, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  7. dawesome

dawesome Member

From what I see so far, nowadays, teams can't rely heavily on 2 or even 3 super stars to win. It has to be a real balanced effort. Look at Miami, Celtics and off course, Houston.. Every player plays big roles. Bucks and Lakers depend on their super stars... Not gonna be easy to win

hakeem94 and Xerobull like this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

You literally said AD is more skilled than Giannis, that is factually incorrect. I didnt say he was a better jump shooter. I hope you don't think if AD were on the Bucks youd be seeing a different result...you would not.

Lol I really don't think you understand how bad Portland's defense is...like at all. They are terrible defensively. AD can shoot mid range jumpers all he wants, we will live with that. If you think that's gonna produce good team offense, keep dreaming.

#48 HP3, Sep 5, 2020
    hakeem94 likes this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

Because he isnt a good post player. In the regular season he is at .90 PPP, that is bad offense. Let them force feed it to Anthony Davis, I will gladly take it.

Reeko, joshuaao, cmoak1982 and 3 others like this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

AWESOME

D-rock likes this.
  11. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I thought I read somewhere that the Lakers had one of the easiest schedules before the bubble as far as Western Conference teams went. I think their schedule was getting tough just as the season got cancelled.

They are also missing a very important piece to their team. Avery Bradley opting out really killed their chances.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yes it is mind boggling to me... the most logical explanation i am living with is they prolly took every game seriously...rockets, especially harden, didnt take things so seriously and experimented and played lackadaisical...

topfive and ApacheWarrior like this.
  13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

He was tired in the 4th quarter because he didn't get his usual rest. He expended extra energy running up and down the court because his Laker teammates tried to match our pace instead of trying to force us to match theirs. There's no way they can win at our pace.

In the first half, he looked sharp. At one point, he scored 3 consecutive baskets. And then the Lakers inexplicably decided to go away from him.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

There are no adjustments we can make that can prevent AD from getting the ball if the Lakers want him to have it.

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Come on. AD isn't comparable to Yao AT ALL. The mobility, length, reaction times, coordination......AD is an a completely different level.

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

probably Adam Silver phoned their coach

17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Confucius say The Rockets got the smarts real good

#57 Roc Paint, Sep 5, 2020
    hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

AD is absolutely more skilled than Giannis. How can you possibly argue against this?

Sure, let's let AD shoot all the mid-range jumpers he wants. He's only shooting them at 80% this postseason....

19. Junebball

Junebball Member

I didn't say that nor did I say that was the only adjustment. I said Rockets made adjustments and instead of AD going against Harden in the post, he was going against PJ.

I just can't understand a Rockets fan on Rockets forum propagate Lakers lies that Lakers weren't trying to win. Rooting for both teams?

Reeko and D-rock like this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

Its not true. Davis can't pass or handle the ball like Giannis. Giannis is a more skilled finisher around the rim too. Yea AD has jump shooting but..thats it. Oh yea and Giannis is a better defensive player than him too. All the metrics point to that.

Umm...is that true even? Where did you get that number? That is definitely not sustainable even if it's true which its not. And also whatever number it is inflated by playing soft Portland defense.

hakeem94 likes this.